The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Father-In-Law, Ben Shrum
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2023 8:33 pm    

Ben passed away early this morning at the age of 99 at the James E. Van Zandt Veterans' Administration Medical Center in Altoona, PA. He would have been 100 in a little over a month. I will testify to the excellent care he's received the last several months at this VA hospital - we are deeply in their debt.

Ben was from Gallatin, TN. He was a US Army veteran of the Battle of the Bulge and was the radioman in a Sherman tank trained for nighttime warfare. His tank was one of the tanks holding and illuminating the Ludendorff bridge and additional pontoon bridges being built, as the Allies prepared to cross the Rhine River into Germany, at Remagen, in 1945. After the war, he worked at Kraft Foods and raised a family in Gallatin.

I've known Ben since 1974, when I met my wife Judy. He's been living with us in PA for 18 years, since his wife Lonnell passed away. He has been like a second father to me, especially since the passing of my own dad 5 years ago. He lived a good life, was an honorable gentleman, and we're going to miss him. But I'm sure he's in a better place now.

We will have a local service for his many friends and neighbors here in State College, PA, as well as one in Gallatin, TN. He will be laid to rest with his wife at Arlington National Cemetery.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2023 6:21 am    

Dave - Please accept my condolences and prayers for your family. Your father-in-law sounds like one of the many whom attrition is unfortunately claiming nowadays. They experienced more than many who followed them can truly understand. Everyone who is fortunate enough to know someone like Ben should spend time with them whenever possible; listen to them, learn from them while we still can.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2023 7:49 am    

Dave,
Please accept my deepest condolences for your family’s loss. Your father in law was a true generational hero having selflessly served our country on a level many will never understand. War was primitive by today’s standards and required an unbelievable amount of courage and innovation. His generation set the standard of how future service members would protect our country. Many of the heroes who served during monumentally decisive battles of his era returned to a life of modesty and raised families rarely, if ever, speaking of the horrors they’d experienced during their military service. Your words speak volumes of a humble and kind devoted family man. I hope the pain in your heart is soon replaced by the cherished memories you’ve shared with your father in law.

Dave

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2023 9:54 am    

Dave, hearfelt condolences to you and your family. Sounds like your father-in-law was an amazing man!

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2023 3:16 pm    

My Condolences Dave…you told me about him last year and my Dad who would have been 100 this year, served in the Battle of the Bulge as well. Our Greatest Generation almost gone but Not Forgotten…You and your wife for sure showed the honor and respect he deserved…Carl

Franklin

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2023 4:29 am    

Dave,
What an incredible life he lived...Much love and prayers for all of the family.
Paul

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2023 5:19 am    

I'm sorry for the difficult times, Dave. It is a profound loss.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2023 12:32 pm    

Very sorry for your loss, Dave. I can remember meeting Ben in Princeton. Please give my condolences to your wife and daughter.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2023 3:19 pm    

Very sorry for your lost. Prayers are sent to you an family.

Paul wade

Larry Hopkins

Lubbock Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2023 3:51 pm    

Very sorry for your loss thinking of you and family

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2023 6:55 pm    

My deepest sympathy and prayers for your father-in-law. A true patriot and hero of the greatest generation. I share a similar story with my father-in-law who also was a battle of the bulge survivor veteran. These heroes were as tough as they come yet humble and caring family members. May he rest in peace.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2023 3:29 pm    

I’m sorry to hear that my friend, my condolences to you and your loved ones

your friend

damir

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 8:38 pm    

Sorry for your lost, Prayers for all.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2023 6:27 am    

I just saw this Dave. My deepest condolences to you and your family. Sounds like his life was a blessing to all around him. May we all be so remembered. so sorry for your loss.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2023 8:48 am    

So Sorry to here this Dave, he had a good long life and was quite a solider and needs to be praised in every way. God Bless his Family. J.R.