The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Doubling telecaster and PSG with a single amp, suggestions?
Matt Bush

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2015 10:07 am    

I was visiting my parents a few weeks ago and made my rounds of the local music shops. One of them had a used Fender Super Sonic Twin in pretty much new condition with a road case for $1000.

I've always planned on having two amps, one big clean amp for the PSG, and one smaller dirty amp for telecaster. I've had my eye on a local company's 20 watt Deluxe-ish 1x12 for about a year. (They sell for $1000, are hand made here in Missoula, and sound incredible) I'd planned on getting a Twin type amp (or possibly a Mesa Lonestar) for the PSG after getting the tele amp.

The Super Sonic Twin has always been on my mind as something I'd like to try, so I had to sit down and play it. And I loved it, so I put it on layaway. Once I pick it up next month, I'm hoping to use it for both PSG and tele until I can pickup the local amp.

So, I'm wondering how other people that double manage their setups. My main ideas so far are:

1) Use the clean channel for PSG and the Burn channel set up for a mostly clean sound for telecaster (I tested the Burn channel's ability to do a mostly clean sound and was impressed).

2.) Use the clean channel for PSG and telecaster, but use an EQ pedal with a level slider/knob to balance the volume and change the EQ to match whichever instrument is on. (I'd probably use the Burn channel for some of the more rocking stuff on the tele in this setting too)

or

3.) Same as #2, but tweaking the volume/eq setting on the clean channel every time I switch. This is my least favorite option.

I'm also considering solutions for cable management.

1) Keep my setup as it is now and simply move the cable from telecaster to PSG as needed. (More likely telecaster to volume pedal, since my volume pedal lives under my steel, and I hate sitting while playing tele).

or

2) ABY box reversed, so the PSG (or the volume pedal) goes into A and telecaster goes into B and then into my pedal board.

As I don't own an ABY box currently, I'll be doing option #1 for now. But I'd buy an ABY box in a heartbeat if it made this all easier.

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2015 1:44 pm    

my suggestion would be get an amp with two separate channels.
i use an old Vibrolux. i realize that's not the ideal steel amp for a lot of folks, but it's all i got, so...

that means maybe looking at Fenders, mostly. Twin, Super, Showman, something like that. that way, there's no unplugging/changing settings involved.
ya know?

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2015 2:24 pm    

I'm a big vintage Fender Twin/Vibrosonic/etc. fan, but there are options. Maybe a Peavey Vegas 400? They have two channels; one voiced for lead, the other for steel. A used Vegas in good condition can often be had for less than $400. If you really want to get fancy, how about a Milkman Sideman?

Matt Bush

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2015 7:33 pm    

Let me clarify.

I already purchased (well, put on layaway) a Fender Super Sonic Twin. Unless I hate it on PSG, I'm not really looking for anything else at this point, I've got plenty of other GAS that needs satisfying Very Happy.

I'm leaning toward the ABY box to combine two chains into one amp, with an EQ pedal in one chain to bring the volume to about the same level.

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2015 12:41 pm    

deluxe reverb!

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2015 1:20 pm    

Matt Bush wrote:
Let me clarify.

I already purchased (well, put on layaway) a Fender Super Sonic Twin. Unless I hate it on PSG, I'm not really looking for anything else at this point, I've got plenty of other GAS that needs satisfying Very Happy.

I'm leaning toward the ABY box to combine two chains into one amp, with an EQ pedal in one chain to bring the volume to about the same level.

oh.
you need this. might not even need the EQ at that point.
http://www.radialeng.com/bigshotio.php

Jerry Tillman

Florida
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2015 5:01 pm     steel,tele one amp

I do this all the time with either my Quilter Steelaire or my mach 2 12 with it set on the surf sound.I do not change settings,I just use a switch box.Thanks Jerry

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2015 5:21 am    

Lately I've seen some guys who double on different instruments use a device called a "Red Eye", it's a preamp with tone and gain controls. It has two channels in, one out. It's about the size I'd a DI. Expensive, but amazing. It won't limit you to dual channel amps.

Or.... Try A Twin Reverb!

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2015 11:26 am    

Or save up for one of Tim Marcus' creations: http://milkmansound.com/amplifiers/sideman

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Matt Bush

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2015 2:50 pm    

Trust me, one of Tim's amps is on my list, unfortunately, it's probably 3 or 4 years away at least. And honestly, I think I'd probably buy the Creamer first. I love the sound of that amp (and I'm more of a 6 string player anyway).

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2015 4:46 am    

My vote would be for a Music Man RD100 with a EV12L speaker.

Robert

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 12:00 pm    

Gigs around here don't pay enough for me to schlep 2 amps so I use a Peavey Blues classic it's a classic 50 with 1-15 works perfectly for steel and guitar.
BTW There is no such thing as a supersonic twin do you mean a super twin reverb or a Fender supersonic?

Kevin Milner

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 1:55 pm    

I would probably go the EQ pedal route. I would dial your amp for whatever you use more (be it PSG or guitar) then use the EQ pedal for the other one. If I were to double on steel and guitar I would probably set the amp for steel, then use an EQ pedal to cut the bass and maybe boost the mids a bit, as well as boost the overall level to match the steel's hot output.

You won't be able to hit the input stage hard with the guitar with that setup though (without also hitting it hard on steel). If you like some tube preamp crunch then might be better to use the burn channel for guitar as you thought.
Effects: Cali76-CD Compressor -> EP booster -> Sarno Earth Drive -> Earthquaker Devices Zap Machine -> Earthquaker Devices Grand Orbiter Phaser -> Caitlinbread Dirty Little Secret Mk III -> Malekko Envelope Filter -> Hilton VP -> Pedal Projects Klone -> Tech 21 Blonde -> Strymon Timeline -> TC Electronics Spark Mini Boost -> Strymon Lex -> Strymon Flint

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 1:51 am    

Think Steel guitar first . Generally speaking an amp in the "category" of an 85 watt Twin Reverb is the understood double duty tube amp, not for volume but for CLEAN, no break up for the Steel at moderate gig volume. The tone stack on the Fender amps is very suitable for both Steel and guitars...

Talking Steel...The smallest amp I use for regular duty is the 40 watt HR Deluxe, it serves me well for small rooms but can be a bit bright and shrill. It does not fit well for larger dance hall rooms as it can't push enough air and it will break up when you need that extra gain. For larger rooms I use the HR Deville, 60 watt 2x12's. This amp is a nice compromise to my former Twin Reverbs.

I do own a Nashville 112 and it too can cover most rooms but for me on Telecasters, it is not my cup of tea.

Should I really wanna push air on a big stage I'll use the 67 Showman with one or two 2x12 cabs.

I gig often on Guitar and / or Steel so one amp doesn't fit the bill overall. Last gig, no Steel, I used a Blues Jr which also dials in nicely for an electric Lap !

my take to the general question, something in the 40 to 50 watt range with at least a single 12 is minimum.

Obviously many folks like the SS Steel guitar amps for double duty as well, PV's, Evans..etc...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Matt Bush

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2015 1:37 pm    

Rich Upright wrote:
Gigs around here don't pay enough for me to schlep 2 amps so I use a Peavey Blues classic it's a classic 50 with 1-15 works perfectly for steel and guitar.
BTW There is no such thing as a supersonic twin do you mean a super twin reverb or a Fender supersonic?

There are actually 4 versions of the Super Sonic. There is the Super Sonic 22, a 22 watt 6v6 based 1x12 Deluxe style amp. The Super Sonic, a 60 watt, 6L6 based 1x12 Pro style amp. The Super Sonic 100 which is a 100 watt, 6L6 based head. And the Super Sonic Twin, which a a 2x12 version of the 100. It seems like quite a versatile amp. I should be able to go pick it up in about a month, I think.

I'm starting to lean toward using the Burn channel for a lot of the 6 string electric stuff, set up mostly clean with a bit of break up. I'm also thinking about using an EQ pedal for the 6 string stuff on the channel for a few songs, stuff where I need a really clean sound.

Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2015 7:18 pm    

I know it's late in the game on this thread, but as I've been doubling a lot lately I thought I'd chime in... for me, I get by just fine with my '78 Princeton Reverb that's modded (OT/speaker) to push closer to 18 watts... It gets a little hairy on gigs where it's not mic'd and I need to play really rocking steel lines, but overall I have yet to have any real issues, and in general the size/tone have been a winning combo.

Interestingly enough, I actually have more issues on loud steel/tele gigs in that I turn up the Princeton pretty hot to provide enough oomph for the steel, that my Tele (even into the padded 2nd channel) is TOO hot and boomy, resulting in my riding the volume knob a lot more on Tele tunes... not that big of deal though.

I also own a nice AB pedal and an MXR 10-band EQ, and have used them both to varying degrees of success, but so far neither have been a permanent fixture in my rig...

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2015 11:09 am    

I would second what Robert said. Mine is a Music Man RP100 with a EVM-15L speaker, though. Both instruments sound exceptional through it.

I just noticed that you already purchased the Fender.
My reply was for someone wanting to scale down to one amp. I just turned 62 and that is where I am at. You will get there one day.
Lefty

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2015 11:30 am    

The steelaire sounds nice on 6 string too.