The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  the sound is in the right hand
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2015 10:36 pm    

I pick very firmly, and hard Started on 5-string and soon switched to Doc Watson on 6 string. You pick hard on those instruments. I took three lessons on steel and my instructor said that I had a great right hand. Pick firmly!
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Craig Baker

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2015 11:05 pm    

John,
Buddy Charleton told me the same thing. Said I wore my thumb pick too close to the end of my thumb. Said to move it back toward the first knuckle and pick more firmly. Must be something to it.

Craig

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 8:14 am    

That was great advice I got from Dave Grafe, just as I was starting out: "Pick as if you mean it". I suspect that all newbies are very tentative pickers...

Steve Knight

NC
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 8:48 am    

Buddy Charleton also told me to pick much harder than I thought I had to. He also stressed being really focused on what you're playing, "Play everything as if your life depended on it. One day it will."

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 4:05 pm    

Steve Knight wrote:
Buddy Charleton also told me to pick much harder than I thought I had to. He also stressed being really focused on what you're playing, "Play everything as if your life depended on it. One day it will."

-LLL- Good one!

MIchael Bean

North Of Boston
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 8:31 am    

To quote the late, great John McGann, "Tone is in the wallet".

Seriously though, it's not the car, it's the driver.

Sean Borton

Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 2:07 pm    

I wouldn't say the tone is in your right hand.... but I will say it is in YOU! Right hand, left hand, right foot, left foot, right knee, left knee, etc....

If you don't sound good playing through a Peavey, a Little Walter is not going to help. If you don't sound good on a Carter, a Franklin is not going to help. If you don't sound good on a Franklin through a Little Walter a new pre-amp certainly is not going to help. Stop wasting money and start practicing - or at least accept your limitations.

The best musical lesson I ever received was through a guitar player magazine article by the great rock guitarist Steve Vai.... this was back in the 80's and the lesson was so simple. (I will paraphrase below)

1: pick a note, any note.
2: Give that note 100 different voices...
3: Once you have done that, there you have it.... the tone is in YOU!

I also heard a phrase a while back that sounds unfair, but I find it to be very true. "Those that don't realize the tone is in the fingers, are not there yet".

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 9:13 pm    

Tone is very much in the hands.

I can get very different sounds just by picking nearer or further from the bar, or harder, or softer, or any combination of these factors.

This can be a problem when I'm overdubbing a flub on a recording, as it can be difficult to match my original tone exactly

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 7:38 pm    

MIchael Bean wrote:
To quote the late, great John McGann, "Tone is in the wallet".

Seriously though, it's not the car, it's the driver.
I would think, it's both the car, and the driver! An incompetent driver couldn't win the Indy 500, in the best car, and the best driver couldn't win the Indy 500 in a 54 Pontiac. I think both the player, and the equipment have an effect on the result, although I have no idea of the ratio. MHO. -Jake-

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2015 1:40 pm    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwEsjN6BEaE

Bill Davison

Just far enough away from Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2015 2:12 pm    

At about 3 minutes into this song, looks to me like David Hartley has solved all the problems with the right hand. I'm not sure what that contraption is that he is using, but it's pretty cool. I need to get me one of those there things and that would solve all my right hand and tone problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_49k0YK-yc&index=28&list=PL4ML4Q3oZGsPdgtexC8FL6ndr4yT_kfmB

Rick Vizzi

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2015 1:46 pm     tone

love Jim Bob Sedgwick's explanation! Laughing just got a steel again after being without one for 7 years. fortunately i recorded my playing back then. i'm literally starting all over again. i can't play like i did then to the degree of progress i achieved. and that includes the tone that i was getting. i'm HAVING TROUBLE SITTING BACK DOWN AT IT because i'm afraid of how long it may take me to get back to where i was! A $4K beautiful instrument looking at me with a scowl/grin saying, "what are you waiting for?" meanwhile I'm listening to live recordings of Lloyd Green and others many hours out of the day.

here's another analogy about tone: if you sat down at Van Gogh's or Rembrandt's or any other painter's palette of paints, whether they are cheap paints or the best pigments in the world, you still couldn't paint like them. You couldn't get tone like theirs'..... but the more you SAT THERE, you'd EVENTUALLY start achieving SOME pleasant tones. REGARDLESS of the brand or cost of the paints.

Geoff Noble

Scotland
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2015 3:42 am    

I'm quite new to pedal steel playing, about 4 years. When I first started reading the forums, I thought that there was an bit of an obsession with "tone", and TBH I wasn't quite sure what was meant by tone from a steel perspective.

Since then I have slowly begun to understand what you guys are getting at, but I'm not sure if tone is the correct word to describe it, it's not a static quality and it's elusive.

It's almost something you feel, you know when your getting it. I concluded that it's more like a resonance thing, the strings seem to come alive when your hands are doing the right things, and then you are chasing it?

So, my take on it is that the equipment has a certain capability to produce the "tones" you are trying to achieve, it's the hands that bring out these tones, both hands. The right hand starts it but the left carries it to the end of the note. Bar pressure, vibrato, behind the bar damping etc.

A class player could play a Carter Starter and make it sound great but I reckon he/she would have to work a lot harder to do so than if they were playing an Emmons PP.

And as with any instrument, I agree with what many here have already said that there is no substitute for putting in the hard hours.

"There is no bad music, only music you don't like" - Me

YTube- http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFqsA-Ahlgr2Z2sw71WJHGg/videos

SCloud - https://soundcloud.com/just-jef/tracks

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2015 10:23 am    

Bill Davison wrote:
At about 3 minutes into this song, looks to me like David Hartley has solved all the problems with the right hand. I'm not sure what that contraption is that he is using, but it's pretty cool. I need to get me one of those there things and that would solve all my right hand and tone problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_49k0YK-yc&index=28&list=PL4ML4Q3oZGsPdgtexC8FL6ndr4yT_kfmB

"Contraptions" won't cure poor technique, or substitute for a lack of practice and picking skills. The device you see is an E-Bow, and it excites the strings electronically, with an alternating magnetic field. It's mostly useful for long sustaining tones, and special effects, when no pick attack is wanted. It's of little use for the typical "bread-and-butter" stuff steelers play. (It may also weaken the magnets in a pickup if it's held too close to the poles for long periods of time.)

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2015 10:45 am    

I haven't read all the posts in this thread so I may be repeating. I have been playing for 35 years and have been gigging professionally for that entire time. For 10 years I was full time on the road with no day job. Anyway I agree that tone is in the technique (hands etc). However I recently bought a 1968 Emmons push pull. I have been playing Sho-Buds, then a Zum and a Fessenden. They all sound sweet as can be. Well when I started playing the new Push Pull the difference was night and day. The tone is so much better it is amazing. Even people in the audience that haven't got a clue what a steel guitar is all about came up to me and said "What did you change, you sound so much better!" The guys in the band said "Wow what did you do, you sound amazing!" There you have it. The equipment does matter.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2015 12:40 pm    

Sean Borton wrote:

If you don't sound good playing through a Peavey, a Little Walter is not going to help. If you don't sound good on a Carter, a Franklin is not going to help. If you don't sound good on a Franklin through a Little Walter a new pre-amp certainly is not going to help. Stop wasting money and start practicing - or at least accept your limitations.

right on!

and ron...right on about the p/p....but you've got
to learn to wrench on it yourself.

it's like you're not a real harley rider unless you do your own maintenance.

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2015 1:08 pm    

Quote:

You are correct. I have already screwed up the 4th string on the E9th neck. I am working through it now. Learning the hard way. But I guess the hard way is the best way. LOL

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2015 1:13 pm    

it will get simpler once you mess with it a little.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2015 7:21 am     Re: the sound is in the right hand

Ted Barnhouse II wrote:
I've always heard that the sound is in the right hand. If that's true why is there so much attention given to the "toys" to improve our sound or get the sound we want instead of the right hand?

Maybe...because it's easier to buy stuff than it is to practice regularly to become a better player? Laughing

I also think this impression (of players buying a lot of gizmos) gets skewed, somewhat, because the many players who aren't constantly buying stuff just don't talk about it. Cool

YMMV, though.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2015 9:03 am     Re: the sound is in the right hand

Donny Hinson wrote:
I also think this impression (of players buying a lot of gizmos) gets skewed, somewhat, because the many players who aren't constantly buying stuff just don't talk about it. Cool

+1

A few years ago a fellow player asked me why I used no effects - not even the EQ on my NV112 - when playing live.
My answer was that I wanted to hear every little mistake I made, in order to correct them and also to find ways to intentionally utilize them, with my playing technique.

Along those lines: the less the electronic equipment masks and shapes what comes out of my PSG, the better. Gives me, or forces me to apply, more on-the-fly control over the outcome.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2015 10:02 am    

I'm with Georg. When I was learning to be a sound engineer in the early 70s there were very few effects available and we relied very much on the choice and positioning of microphones to get the desired result. In later years when there were a lot more knobs on the board I still made sure that the basic sound was right first, rather than taking any old noise and trying to force it into shape.

Likewise if you want to upgrade your hifi but you can only afford to do it in stages, start at the source end - there's no point hanging fancy speakers on a cheap amp.

While I'm still training my right hand I don't want anything to obscure what I'm doing. In years to come if I need a more commercial sound I might consider a bit of delay, but I secretly hope it won't be necessary.

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 2:30 pm    

Bill Davison wrote:

ebows are cool!
but, they're even more proof that the right hand makes the gravy.

they're a little bit tricky to get sounding natural. check out these videos for some other possibilities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkockcr6O-I
https://youtu.be/1jl54nPr0Q8

j

T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 10:16 am    

Isn't great tone the magic ingredient that all steel players strive for? It is for me. I'll admit that I've spent more effort on achieving great tone than developing a great vocabulary of licks. At the end of the day, it's about both. If you have been playing long enough, and you have a mind to, you can "pull" tone out of the strings and the instrument. On a good day, I get pretty close to being able to do that like I hear it in my head.
For those who spend time thinking about what gear will make them sound better, I remember going to a steel guitar show, I think it was the TSGA in Dallas. I heard a bunch of great players with the latest in boutique amps and tweaked steel guitars and effects all sounding pretty much the same - give or take. And then...Johnny Cox gets up with a Sho-Bud Maverick with no pedals and plugs into whatever amp happens to be there and blows the doors off the place with by far the best tone of the show. He was pulling a great tone out of the strings and the instrument.
One of my all time favorite players is Mike Smith. I think he has a unique and wonderful unmistakable tone. I've watched him up close and he plays really hard almost attacking the strings. His instrument speaks. That's what I aspire to.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 10:36 am    

chris ivey wrote:
Sean Borton wrote:

right on!

it's like you're not a real harley rider unless you do your own maintenance.

I do my own maintenance because I am in fact a real Harley rider. I used to wrench my first P/P but jeez I'm too old to mess with the obvious shortcomings of my most recent one = change the copedent. Great guitar, levers are in the "wrong" place... -L-

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 11:11 am    

To me, what T.C. is highlighting is that while equipment can facilitate good tone, it cannot create it - only the player/instrument combo can do that.