Author Topic:  Double-T 12 Speaker
Greg Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2015 7:23 am    

Thx for the description Tim!

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2015 1:47 pm     TT sig 12

Travis thanks for all your work on the speaker. I like it a lot a lot! Sounds great with my FYD, and my fender 8 ohm tube amps, and its pure magic in my 4 ohm tapped NV400..and plenty loud.

Best JW
widcj@hotmail.com

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2015 3:57 pm    

I re coned my K-130-4 to 8 ohms, and there is no difference in volume in a LTD, but a sweeter sound to me.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 6:07 am    

Tim Marcus wrote:
yes!

the module can power an 8 ohm or 4ohm load. When I did my AB test, I noticed no difference in volume between the two amps. I had them both set up exactly the same, same settings, same steel and volume pedal - I just moved the plug between them.

Tim, did you have the amps turned all the way up?

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 11:48 am    

no, because that is too loud man! I can't destroy my hearing testing 300W amps at full blast Smile
Milkman Sound on Twitter

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 9:31 pm    

Amen, man!! 300 friggin' watts into an efficient speaker will blow you into the next county!!!
So, Tim, how loud were you listening when you were testing? I wonder what the voltage output was to each of the speakers under evaluation? Was it the same when driving the two different impedances? (4 ohm and 8 ohm).

Mike Wilson

Mansfield, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 5:18 am    

Travis, what pickup were you using in the blue Mullen G2 in the demonstration video? Also can you get the same tone out of a Nashville 112 or Nashville 400 that you got on the video? I liked the fact that there was absolutely no honkeyness or nasal sound in the midrange. Does anyone know how hard it is to modify a Nashville 400 15 inch cabinet to accept a TT-12? I would be willing to buy one of these speakers if that can be done easily enough.

MIchael Bean

North Of Boston
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2015 8:24 am    

Mike Wilson, here is a possible method for using a 12" in a 15" cabinet: http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/baffle-converters/Baffle-Converter-for-15-to-12#.VgQjOstVhBe

I've been thinking about going this route, as well.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2015 11:13 pm    

Guys, so sorry for lack of response to this thread. For some reason I stopped getting notifications of new posts. I will try to address everyone here real quick...

Roger Dillingham, as far as a 4 ohm version is concerned...it's not that there's a technical problem/challenge in making one, it's that it will indeed sound a bit different. If we decide to go down that road, and it's to be a signature series speaker like the current one, I'll have to go through the testing process again and make 100% sure it's what I want my name on before releasing it. Honestly, at this point, people are loving the current version so much, I'm a little scared to do ANYTHING to it.

I certainly respect Tim's evaluation of the available NEO options on the market. The only point I would argue with is the notion that it's not a "full bandwidth sound" as compared to the EPS and Telonics speakers. (I haven't personally spent much time playing the Telonics variant, but the engineers at Eminence have certainly made me aware of the differences in that model.) I can however say that it is a shared opinion of myself, many very talented players, and quite a few speaker engineers that the Double T-12 makes the EPS sound quite anemic in direct comparison. It was certainly our finding in testing and intention in design that it has a superior low end fullness, a mid punch that is so important in a full band and studio situation, and plenty of smooth highs without the unwanted sizzle that happens in the top end of the EPS frequency response. All of that being said, I absolutely understand that there is no one thing that works for everyone. I just felt the need to share my take on Tim's evaluation. #respect

Mike Wilson, I am playing a Bill Lawrence 705 pickup in that video. I really like that pickup in the Mullen G2 guitars, and find that they compliment one another very well. I have indeed tested one of my speakers with a NV400. I thought it sounded awesome, and it looks like from John Widgren's comment, he does too.

Greg Derksen, I'd say that is a very fair assessment of my speaker.

Steven Paris, that boost in the EPS from 2k to 4k, ESPECIALLY towards 4k is what my friend JayDee calls the "eek". It's pretty funny, but a pretty accurate adjective. That is what has always kept me and many others from playing NEO speakers. That sort of harshness is not your friend in the studio, or any live situation I've ever been in. It was actually quite challenging to get rid of, as the NEO builds really tend to naturally have that curve present. The goal was to have a nice top end, without the harshness that is present in other NEO options on the market. I believe we accomplished that goal.

Michael Bean, I haven't seen Mojo's converter in person, but they typically make nice stuff. I know several guys who have turned their 15" cabs into 12" using similar products. They are very happy with their decision to do so. I actually have a Quilter Steelaire Pro that I converted over to 12". It sounds considerably better than the stock 15" that comes in those combos (which is just a slightly modded EPS-15).

Cheers everybody!!!

-t

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2015 2:35 am    

I wonder how this speaker is for C6th? Travis' demos are all E9th.

I was a "field tester" for the EPS-15C. New it is a bit "bright" but after break in it mellows out some. It has a JBL like sound and when I first tried it, my old Twin Reverb with a JBL K-130 was what it reminded me of. This was with a Franklin with L710 pickups.

Back to the TT12 model, I'd like to hear it with C6th.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2015 9:52 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I wonder how this speaker is for C6th? Travis' demos are all E9th.

I was a "field tester" for the EPS-15C. New it is a bit "bright" but after break in it mellows out some. It has a JBL like sound and when I first tried it, my old Twin Reverb with a JBL K-130 was what it reminded me of. This was with a Franklin with L710 pickups.

Back to the TT12 model, I'd like to hear it with C6th.

Jack, I don't have a guitar with a C6 neck right now, or I'd do you a demo. Lost all my double neck guitars in the Nashville flood a few years back.

There are a lot of guys who play C6th and have this speaker already. It is very good for C6th...I tested it a lot with a friend's double neck during the development. Great full low end response. Maybe someone will get on and do a demo.

Greg Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2015 10:44 am    

"Lost all my double neck guitars in the Nashville flood a few years back. "

Ouch,

Don't think that would have been a pretty site,

Greg

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2015 11:48 am    

Greg Derksen wrote:

Ouch,

Greg

It was quite a bad day.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2015 12:31 pm    

Travis, thanks for the info on C6th.

Greg Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2015 12:40 pm    

Travis Toy wrote:
Greg Derksen wrote:

Ouch,

Greg

It was quite a bad day.

Tell me there was no 66 emmons or a Franklin in that,
or maybe don't,

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2015 3:04 pm    

I`m thinking of converting my Nashville 400 into a bandit 112 cabinet and install a 12 inch speaker. Where could I find a Double T speaker ? Anyone sell/ship to Canada?

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2015 3:51 pm    

I did a search and I think Long & McQuade sell them around hear. Will check that out tomorrow . Thanks.

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2015 4:08 pm     Speakers

David, check out "Q Components" in Ontario. I have bought other Eminence speakers from them in recent months.

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2015 5:54 am    

Just ordered one . Can`t wait to try it in either Nashville 400 or Session 400. Any words of advice?

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2015 10:20 am    

I'm reading this thread and it seems like folks are more concerned with the ohm's load in reference to volume, and few are looking at the efficiency of the speaker , and the fact that the frequencies of the speaker are, or are not built around the pedal steel ...
Tim M. has it down when relating the TT12 to being built and flattering the pedal steel , and having a more pronounced presence in a mix of other instruments .. Saying then that the frequencies of a speaker , and the efficiency of the speaker will help you with not just volume, but with the tone whereby you would be heard batter .....This may even trick some into thinking that the speaker was LOUDER just for the matter of you being able to hear the pedal steel better ......Just a thought ....Jim

BTW ...It's a lot like mixing music when recording ...Sometimes you change the EQ of some instruments to make them heard in a mix , rather than turning up the volume that will only in most cases muddy a mix ...

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 11:05 am    

I put mine in a Telonics cab and love it. Just used it shooting 13 episodes of a new show coming out on RFD next year and several gigs and sessions over the last three weeks and I will be replacing all the 12's in my various rigs with this...I put it through a few C6 tunes and it didn't flinch. Love the detail in the mids and the top end is sweet, and low end for days...way to go, Travis!

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 11:28 am    

John, is that a sealed cabinet? I'm curious about the low end in sealed vs. Theile vs. open back boxes.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 1:20 pm    

It's a open back...

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 2:41 pm    

Thanks for the report John .....Sounds like it will work well with my U-12.....Is the low end on C6 nice and punchy ? .....This is what i am looking for when playing my U-12

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2015 11:50 pm    

Email me for special Forum member price. I ship to Canada also. This is a great speaker that Travis put a lot of work into. Hatton Cases.