The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Phil Woods, Jazz saxophone great
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2015 5:23 pm    

http://www.npr.org/sections/ablogsupreme/2015/09/29/444562972/phil-woods-top-jazz-saxophonist-has-died

Phil was the real deal but under the radar a bit in terms of the bigger paydays some of his contemporaries enjoyed (as much as there's a big payday in the jazz life).

A very obscure recording of Phil's, Greek Cooking, is on my desert island list.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1-2RII_HYs&list=PLyHn3f7-9IUKfAC42v36Z5j0Nfodfe-LX

RIP Phil

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2015 7:02 pm    

A bad day for sax giants. We also lost Wilton Felder of the Crusaders, who was also a great electric bass player.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2015 3:48 am    

Now I know who got that sound on 'Just The Way You Are.' I imagine we'd heard Phil more times than we're aware over the years.
I think we gravitate toward the sax, particularly alto, because like the cello, it's in the range of the human voice.

A good article. I particularly enjoyed
Quote:
He also told Hansen the story of how he first picked up the saxophone after inheriting one from his deceased uncle. Though he admits his initial interest in it was to melt it down for scrap metal, he eventually took lessons and was hooked: "I mean, I put it in the closet where I thought it really rightfully belonged," he said. "And my mother said, 'You know, Philip, you should at least take a lesson. Your uncle went through a great deal of trouble to leave you the saxophone.'

"And even at the age of 12, I realized that dying could be construed as a great deal of trouble."

RIP.

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 6 Oct 2015 12:02 pm    

Phil's solo on Steely Dan's Dr Wu from the Katy Lied album is a standout, it's hard to believe now 40 years old.

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2015 7:14 am    

A great loss. I was very lucky to have heard him in a club in Mail in the '70's. Incredible sound.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/arts/music/phil-woods-saxophonist-revered-in-jazz-dies-at-83.html