The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Emmons R.I.P.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 10:28 am    

I just read this. I have tears in my eyes, yet I never met the man. We've lost so many of the greats in recent years, but the Big E always seemed like he would go on forever.

Steve Hotra

Camas, Washington
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 10:33 am    

This is a great loss.
For a new beginning pedal steel player, I can see the major influence Mr. Emmons had on so many players.
I am thankful that we can watch and hear him on video and the web today.
RIP
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.

Daniel Beachy

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 11:05 am    

The steel guitar world will never be the same. God rest his soul. Buddy, you will never be forgotten!!

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 11:23 am    

This just Breaks my Heart! The whole Steel Guitar World is in Mourning!

Ernest Tuttle

Elgin, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 11:28 am     Buddy Emmons

Buddy was and is for ever the very BEST Steel guitar player in the world Well that is my opinion. And I will miss him on all the Recording session that he could have been on from now on.
RIP Buddy Sad

Kirk Eipper

Arroyo Grande, Ca.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 11:38 am    

A great loss. Prayers to his family.

I met Buddy once as we were on the same bill, he with Ray Price.

Buddy is the main reason I took up the instrument in the first place.
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com

Jan Oelbrandt

Herzele, Belgium
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 12:04 pm    

For me he will always be the #1 in the world of pedal steel. His influence is timeless. My condolences to all relatives.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 12:15 pm    

We will never see his like again. He was our Einstein, Picasso, Henry Ford, Tesla all rolled into one. A player who could excite you, inspire you and touch you - all in the same performance.

Ted Lowe Jr

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 12:50 pm     A Very Sad Day!

The Heavenly Band is now A Whole lot Sweeter With Buddy up there. I am so thankful for all of the great music He left behind for us to enjoy and be inspired by. I feel he is single handedly the most important person ever in the history of Steel Guitar, for playing and design. Where would we all be if there had been no Buddy Emmons?

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 1:27 pm     A Legend In His Own Time

It is so sad to hear of the passing of this great exponent of the pedal steel guitar. He was a LEGEND in his own time and that LEGEND will live on and on while pedal steel guitars are still produced and played . Hearing his records will give us all an everlasting presence with this great man and his fine music and so all his artistic qualities will live on and never fade. Thankfully the work Buddy produced will benefit future generations in the study of this wonderful instrument. JAMES TAYLOR

John Gretzinger

Canoga Park, CA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 1:56 pm    

My introduction to the steel guitar was from the playing of Red Rhodes, Speedy West, and one of my first teachers, Ernie Ball. Shortly there after, I was introduced to the music of Buddy Emmons and the idea of playing the steel for more than "just" country took root.

I've never been that good a player, and probably never will be, but hearing Buddy has always been in inspiration to work at being better and to explore the instrument for its potential.

Rest In Peace Buddy.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 3:09 pm    

I saw Buddy for the first time in 1981. I immediately became a fan and followed him for all these years. That Emmons sound just mesmerized me and so many have searched for it. I was blessed to see Buddy play several times in St. Louis and in Texas at the show. One thing I remember about Buddy was I asked a question here on the forum about a lick. To my surprise Buddy Emmons replied to my question and told me how to do the lick. I met him briefly a couple times but I am sure he never remembered me after meeting so many people. Him coming on the forum and answering a question for me speaks that he not only loved the instrument but all the players as well. Life will go on but our lives will never be the same after losing such a talented man. I absolutely believe Buddy Emmons was a genius. RIP Buddy Emmons, you may be gone but I promise you will never be forgotten.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 3:55 pm    

My husband sent me this link:

http://www.npr.org/2015/07/30/427800540/buddy-emmons-the-pedal-steel-guitarist-who-taught-everybody-to-play

and I'm glad that his passing is getting some of the attention it so richly deserves.

Over the past two days, whenever I talk to someone, and they ask, "How's it going?", I want to tell them that Buddy Emmons has died. Those who aren't musician mostly don't know who he was, and those who don't play pedal steel can never understand how deeply it hits us. It's like when JFK was shot or when John Lennon died; we were in shock, and for a time it's like we felt lost.

When Bobby Bowman died last summer, I grieved so much (and still do - whenever I record something kind of pretty on the E9th neck, my thought is always, "Oh, I'll send that to Bobby," because he liked it when I did that, but because my very personal feeling for him as a friend (and a bunch of felt equally close), I couldn't write anything. The passing of Buddy Emmons hurts in a different way; I want people to know that there was a man named Buddy Emmons and he was one of the greatest musicians ever.

Well, I've digressed in this posting. I'm glad the world will know about the greatness of The World's Foremost Steel Guitarist.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Brandin

Newport Beach CA. USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 4:09 pm    

I'm glad I got to meet him at one of his shows.
I'm very sad we lost him. Mr.Emmons was one of a kind.
Where would we be without him?

GB

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 4:37 pm    

I am at a loss for words. What else can you say that has not already been said. He was such a super human being and the worlds greatest steel guitarist. J.R.

Bob Callaway

Bob & Barbara of Shepherdsville, Kentucky
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 5:10 pm    

God Bless and keep you Buddy.
You left a big pair of shoes too fill. Your music and talent lives on in all musicans.The Derby Steel Guitar would not have possible without your help and advice.

Bob&Barb Callaway Margit Stepp
Derby Steel Guitars.
Member LMSGC, NTSGA, ASGA, OzarkSGA, PSGA,
www.BobCallaway

Lyle Bradford

Gilbert WV USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 6:12 pm    

TEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

Dallas Cheked

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 7:40 pm     Buddy Emmons, "The Steel King"

I attended a Buddy Emmons & Jeff Newman concert in June, 1983 not far from Pittsburgh, PA. This was the most memorable day in my steel career. I learned more in those few hours than all the previous years. Their playing skills set a benchmark for me that I am still trying to achieve thirty some years later. They were two of the greatest to play and teach pedal steel guitar in addition to being just great people. I dearly miss them both.
Buddy's passing came as a shock to me. I expected him to stick around for a good while longer.
May he continue to grace Heaven with his wonderful music!
May God bring comfort to his family and close friends.

Only the Big "E" can do this with a monster bar and not miss a note!
EMCI D-10 Steel 8+6, Peavey Nashville 400, Fender Twin Reverb, Stelling Staghorn Banjo,Vintage Premier Banjo, Dobro D-60 and F60S Squarenecks, Fender Stratocaster, Boss RV-5, DD2,GE7, Goodrich SteelDriver II.

Last edited by Dallas Cheked on 31 Jul 2015 12:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 9:29 pm    

The debt pedal-steel players owe Buddy Emmons is immense, every bit as immense as his contribution to the evolution and playing-style of our beloved instrument.

RIP Buddy, you truly are one of the immortals - "Primus inter pares". You were a blessing given to all of us.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Frederic Mabrut

Olloix, France
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2015 10:50 pm    

I have a very heavy heart today.
RIP Mister Emmons.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 1:05 am    

Me and Buddy, taken at either the 1981 L.A. Emmons concert I helped organize for Tom Bradshaw, or and early 80's visit to the St. Louis Steel Convention. He was so nice, and humble, and it tears me up that he's gone. I'm happy, though, that this amazing talent and soul is reunited with his beloved Peggy.

Eddie Lane

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 5:15 am    

Buddy Emmons can never be replaced. He was the best. I remember in the early 80's the show I was playing with in Branson had Ray Price in to open the theater for the season and Buddy had signed to do 200 road shows with Ray. The first five or six rows in the theater were steel guitarists. I couldn't wait to see what kind of effect unit Buddy would be using. Well, he played his old push-pull through an old beat up Session 400 amp...NO EFFECTS. It sounded like he was in the studio. There never be a better steel guitarist than Big E! R.I.P.

Gary Arnold

Panhandle of Florida, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 7:41 am    

I met Buddy in the 70's while at Jeff Newmans steel school when he was out on Hwy 40. We were all setting around after class one day and as big as life "Buddy Emmons" walked in with four other pickers and started to set up, they played for use for about three hours, any thing we wanted to hear, fast or slow, E9 or C6 and never missed a note while answering all the questions we were asking him between tunes. He treated use like we were part of the band, I will never forget that three hour concert just for us. He will be a great loss to music. I was setting listening to Buddy play "Blue Jade" & "Once Upon A Time In The West" before I knew he had passed and was thinking what it would be like to be able to set down to my steel and play any thing I wanted as Buddy could. I just fill a hole in my heart for the loss of the man that played a three hour gig just for me, "Buddy Emmons" thank you.......gka

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 7:50 am    

Those who know me will probably be surprised at how hard this news hit me.

Behind the scenes Buddy was incredibly kind to me and very supportive of my "outside the box" thinking and approach. I probably would have quit without him urging me to " keep pressing".

Thank Buddy.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Mark Greenway

Lake Kiowa, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 8:51 am    

Does anyone have any information about the funeral arrangements?
RIP Buddy Emmons.

Last edited by Mark Greenway on 31 Jul 2015 9:07 am; edited 2 times in total