The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why AL Bruno not in Country Music Hall Of Fame in Nasville?
LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2015 6:28 am    

Al Bruno,He should be in the " Country Music Hall Of Fame " in Nashville,Tnn.Just like Jay Dee Maness. Me,I don't fit in it for what I've done in Country Music's History. Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr. & A Band. Winking

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2015 9:03 am    

Leo, unfortunately our old friend and "guitar hero" Al Bruno was mostly noted for being a "West Coast Picker". Remember when he went to Nashville for a year or two with Sammi Smith and scared those Nashville guitarists to death. They'd never heard a guitar player with the immense talent that Al had.. I'm glad to have him as a friend today and throughout all the past years as I'm sure you are too.. I wrote Guitar Player magazine some years back and asked why they never did an article on him as he influenced so many of us out in California. He's played on Merle Haggard recordings as well as playing with Conway Twitty back in the day plus numerous Capitol records.... Here's a later shot of Al and one back in his "Twitty" days and one of me sitting in with Al in Vegas around '07 or so. You'll notice that he's playing the same guitar in the early photo(s) as well as the later shots........JH in Va.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2015 9:31 am    

I remember Jesse "Ed" Davis speaking about Al Bruno in an article from Hit Parader magazine when I was young.

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2015 2:55 pm    

I haven't seen Hank Garland's name in the HOF as yet. He played on a few hits also.
They haven't realized as yet that a singer without great musical backing are pretty worthless.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 6:05 am    

Ray, I agree with you about Hank Garland, speaking of him, he's the one who gave Bruno that red Gibson he's been playing all this time.... By the way, I'm still listening and enjoying your great CD in which you feature Al on guitar and the late great John Hughey on pedal steel. You just can't get no better'n that.... Here's another shot of Al...JH in Va.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 8:37 am    

I understand it was Al who played on Waylon's "Don't let the sun set on you in Tulsa."

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 9:09 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0M7JaPymtg

You can sure hear the bender guitar!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 9:15 am    

Great steel and lead guitar in the samples on AL's web stie:

http://www.brunobearmusic.com/al-bruno-music/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 10:15 am    

Sure sounds like Bruno.
Jerry, glad you enjoy the CD. We had a blast doing the recordings.

Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 3:41 pm    

As I kick back to years of Al Bruno's Career of Southern California Country Music to Nashville and in between all the Musician folks that know him,the educators of to day Country Music History are brain dead in this world organizations of our Country Music Industry. The Community Chamber of Commerce crossword puzzle operations philosophy is Commitment to one name for MONEY. That I sure Al Bruno's name would do for them in their Museum. If Hollywood's my late friend Johnny Grant was still alive he would tell how the walk of stars work. One's life and Dedication to his Talent as a Great Guitarist ,Al Bruno has gave more then most will ever do in this field,Country Music. Arrow

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 4:57 pm    

Here's the inductee list of the CMHOF - http://countrymusichalloffame.org/Inductees

The roster is missing almost all of the great instrumentalists and session players in country music. The only instrumentalists without major record "hits" as a singer I see are Chet Atkins, Charlie McCoy, Pig Robbins, and Merle Travis.

For the most part, it's about being a country music star. There are some songwriters, producers, and other country music biz types too. But there must be dozens, if not hundreds, of deserving instrumental/session players that would qualify as "the greats", but I doubt this will ever happen.

Besides that, Nashville is a long way from LA. So no Wynn Stewart, Maddox Bros. and Rose, and so on. Whaddayagonnado?

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 8:34 am    

It's like the Obamacare Court Battle, We all ( Us Musicians) will survive it and WIN when we are all dead and gone. We just have to pay off the right folks while we are alive in their justice system and make sure they are taking care of after they make a signature mark that it's because of them that we (Our hard works of Musicianship & Entertaining ) are who we are and not what we did to get there. Us Southern California Top Dogs Musicians from the 60's,70's,80's,90's til 2001 that in this our golden era of Doo Wopping is sure that I'm a, The Tokens from New Orleans,(Leo J Eiffert Jr 9th ward) Louisiana. Jimmy Clanton said we will get you in that Country Music Hall Of Fame if we have to Flamingos. The most popular Guitarist in the world, Al Bruno the best kept secret that every body uses his licks he created in the History of Country Music.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2015 11:06 am    

Dave M... Merle Travis did have major hits as a vocalist. He owned the airways in the forties with such vocal hits as "So Round, So Firm, So Fully Packed", "Divorce Me C.O.D.", "Kentucky Means Paradise".. etc. etc... He is however my favorite guitarist of all time........JH in Va.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 6:08 am    

Jerry sometimes if someone is too good he may never get in the CMHOF. Take Gene Watson, Wynn Stewart,The Wilburn Brothers for instance. This year finally they took in Jim Ed but a little too late in my estimation. Wouldn't surprise me if Jason Aldean ,Taylor Swift get in soon. At this time in the CMHOF a lot of the visitors just go there because it's on the tourist list.

Last edited by Joe Casey on 1 Jul 2015 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 9:59 am    

When you have the Mayor of Nashville & all them mouth piece under on table deals who run the air waves and this New Young Country Music USA. What do you guys think is going to change? Traditional Country Music Man power is Merle & Willie. Willie is what is keeping that PART OF DEAD Artist alive and the live ones he knows that he helps who are Texas Heart Artist. The money deals are why you will see all these old artist in some kind of video, are ? The True respect of Us old farts that they call us and the young one who are doing what they can to be somebody is Sad about History. I get it and I got it and we need to pull together across this Nation while we can if you really believe in right from wrong. You know,choice. God or devil & the Red,White & Blue not the black eye we are all wearing. Arrow

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2015 7:58 am    

Hey Joe, I'm with you on all three of those artists and also Stonewall Jackson, why's he not in there? Every time I watch the old Wilburn Bros. TV show on RFD-TV it just frosts me that they're not in the HOF.. And being an old SoCal boy it's mind boggling why Wynn Stewart's been passed over. I know you spent some time in SoCal and you probably remember how "everyone" did Wynn Stewart songs. He was really a one of a kind. And Gene Watson? All he's got going for him is the fact that he just sings better than anyone else in the HOF.. and back to the topic of this thread, Al Bruno is still the best picker alive IMHO.....JH in Va.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2015 3:34 pm    

Jerry, Dwight Yoakam is our 11th-hour bailout from Southern California Country Music scene who we all made his name & Music big over Wynn Stewart,Jack Tucker,Sammy La Master,Tony Booth & Billy Mize as well as many others who should be in (CMHOF) there. The large cloud of unfairness is the political system of big Money that Nashville under power carries from New York & Los Angeles and all points else where. I've spelled it out many times in years on this forum and no body really care how I carry the flag of Traditional Country Music banner no more then Dixie-Land her self. Winking

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2015 11:30 am    

I played a couple gigs with Al a few years back when he was here visiting a friend of his, Roy Hunt, who introduced me to him. In fact, I am playing with Roy tomorrow.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2015 12:18 pm    

Every bodies been looking for Roy Hunt out here in Southern California. Arrow

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 11:18 am    

I haven't seen Roy since he played at the old Chit Chat Club in Bell Gardens, Ca. during the sixties... He was married to a waitress who worked there also...JH in Va.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 3:35 pm    

Billy Sanford played electric guitar on"Tulsa"...with no bender,just a stock Fender Telecaster and a Fender Princeton Reverb amp.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2015 6:40 am    

Well... Al's in my Hall of Fame. Always has been.

btw...Did you know there's a shot of him in the Winnie Winston book? Take a look at that pic of JayDee and Larry Sasser on the Opry. You can see a young Al there playing his 355 with the 2 palm pedals.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2015 9:07 am    

Hey Skip, I think that picture's taken at the Steel Guitar Convention in St. Louis.......JH in Va.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2015 4:25 pm    

Jerry, I haven't seen that pic in awhile, but I think you can see an Opry sign on a mic stand. I seem to remember JayDee telling me they were playing there with Del Reeves.
Now you've got my curiosity going… I'll have to ask JayDee...

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2015 7:04 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmgWWF7hu_o