The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kemper with Michael Britt profiles
Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2018 3:35 pm    

Thanks! Switching programs for different instruments on the Kemper easy? Footswitch for that? I really appreciate all your answers here!

Josh Braun

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2018 3:37 pm    

I thought about getting the footswitch, but it hasn't actually been an issue. I have my rack (short 6u gator case) right next to my steel seat, so I just reach down and toggle whenever I need to make a change (e.g., turn on the leslie effect, go from clean to distortion, etc.).

If I stood up and needed to change things, that'd be a different story I suppose. But I'm always seated.

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2018 11:21 pm    

Josh, would love to hear a recording of the steel through the Surgical Steel profile if you have one!

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2018 9:33 am    

I really like the area on the pedal steel where the controls are mounted.....right there where your hands are......easy access.....Maybe I’ll design something to attach a control module to the front of any steel guitar.....It looks like it beats having to reach over to the side to adjust effects etc.........Jim

The more I think about it, the more a profiler makes sense with all the amps I have..!

Tom Mossburg

AZ,
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 12:05 pm     MBritt Packs

Which of Michael Britt's packs is the Stereo Steel in?

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 5:42 pm    

I don’t believe there is a Stereo Steel in MB’ s packs unless I’m wrong. I know he has a profile of a Nashville 400 and I use his Little Walter 50 profile.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 8:08 am     Kemper Profiles

As Wally said " it's the ultimate rig"!..We've all been going around the block on the pro's & cons of this unit but the bottom line is this KEMPER checks a lot of boxes for live, studio and home use. Some people are technically proficient and gravitate to these units easily and others prefer" plug n play". My friend Scott Neubert & I pooled our amp collection one day and profiled every steel amp we had as well as Fenders, Carvins, Mesa Boogies etc. and we've comprised a collection of sounds that musicians can use immediately then custom shape the tone to their specifications as they audition them. I asked BOB to offer a link to the file because I'm not very computer literate and I felt the Forum was a great fit for this format and BOB agreed to host for this occasion. A word document describes each amp offered.
IE; Mesa Boogie Studio Pre / Mosvalve Power amp/ loaded w. PF-350 speakers.

This will at least get you started then you can design and offer other amp models to share. The Keyword is "SHARE"..these are free of charge, We hope you enjoy them and they can be of use to you... BOB will post the link

https://steelguitarforum.com/Kemper_Pedal_Steel_Amp_Profiles.zip

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 10:26 am    

Thanks Mike! I really enjoy your profiles. I think you're right about the Kemper not being for everyone...it can get pretty techy. But if you're so inclined, it's a groundbreaking tool that has really opened up a lot of possibilities.

I have uploaded some profiles designed for pedal steel on the Kemper Rig Exchange. Just search for "BD-PSG" to find them. These aren't necessarily "typical" steel amps, but they are pretty fun!

Also, with the latest update, the Kemper folks have made it much easier to use impulse responses for the cabinet section of the profile...it's literally drag and drop now. Eminence sells IR packs of the Travis Toy and Paul Franklin signature speakers, and Redwirez has the JBL D120 in one of their packs. Also Mike and Scott's profiles have some very nice cabs that pair well with other amp profiles. Good clean fun!

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 10:39 am     Kemper Profiles

This is the main objective so I’m thrilled to see anyone get something useful out of what we’ve offered so far. I’ve yet to update my Kemper but plan to soon and thanks for your positive feedback!!

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 1:25 pm    

Byran, I haven’t used any speaker ir’s on the Kemper and didn’t know Eminence had those available. How do you import them exactly, do you use Kemper Cabmaker? Thanks

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 1:39 pm    

Hey Michael,

If you update to the latest Kemper software and Rig Manager, you can just drag-and-drop an IR file right onto the Cab section in Rig Manager.

Here are the Eminence IR's:
https://eminence-digital.com/collections/eminence-impulse-responses/products/pf-350-12-paul-franklin-signature-guitar-speaker-impulse-response

https://eminence-digital.com/collections/eminence-impulse-responses/products/pf-400-paul-franklin-15-signature-guitar-speaker-impulse-response

https://eminence-digital.com/collections/eminence-impulse-responses/products/double-t-12-12-signature-guitar-speaker-impulse-response

https://eminence-digital.com/collections/eminence-impulse-responses/products/double-t-15-15-signature-guitar-speaker-impulse-response

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 7:50 am    

Bryan wrote:
I think you're right about the Kemper not being for everyone...it can get pretty techy.

Yeah, I bought a Kemper (used) a couple of years ago, got it home and 'browsed' through most of the profiles, just plug-n-play, and I wasn't really just knocked out. It had a lot of 'store bought' profiles from the previous owner, and none of those impressed me much either.

I parked it, and seldom touched it again until this last year with all the 'pandemic down-time'. I was thinking I might just sell it, but thought I'd give it another look first, and dig a little deeper. I was particularly unimpressed with the Twin Reverb profiles I had found on my first go-round, they just lacked something. So this time around I tweaked more with amp/tone/cab params a bit, and even with these minimal edits, I immediately started liking it better.

I had seen forumite Steve Hinson saying how he was using one and being really happy with it, especially in the studio. So I hit him up, and he was kind of enough to point me to some JBL D130 IRs he'd found that he liked. I loaded those up (which with the new Rig Manager is a piece of cake), and that really made a difference. Thanks again Steve!

All that to say, I agree with Bryan, you really need to dig a bit to get the best out of a Kemper in my opinion, but it's not rocket surgery... you CAN learn with a little patience. Also, I think the Rig Manager is a huge help when tweaking profiles, much better than navigating the small screen, but either works.

@Mike Holder, thanks for sharing all those profiles, I've downloaded and can't wait to try them out.

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 11:27 am     Kemper Profiles

Very welcome! Hope they’re useful to you, remember if you find them remotely close to what you’re looking for you can then tweak the tone to suit your own tastes, they operate is if it were the amp itself. For guy’s in Jamie Lennon’s situation where they don’t want amps onstage and it’s all in ears these things are a game changer and just a word of advise to the consumer on a budget, you can have similar success with the Headrush Gigboard for about $400.00 so don’t be intimidated or reluctant to try these formats!

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 11:52 am    

Hey Mike, do you have the Headrush Gigboard? Looks like you're limited to the amp models they give you, if I'm not wrong about that...any you like for PSG?

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 12:03 pm     Kemper Profiles

I have one but actually use it as an effects unit sort of a poor man’s Benado, however my friend Scott Neubert has made some pedal steel patches for his GFI that sound great and one of the endorsers Jason Roller has tremendous guitar sounds profiled, check his contribution on their website.

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2021 7:08 am     Kemper

I am considering a Kemper purchase. I am playing multiple instruments live and I am intrigued with the idea of having an input switcher like a Radial JX 42 would change "rigs" via midi when the input switches. some of the bands I play in are using IEMs.

I m wondering who maybe doing this...Also any and all feedback good and bad from those who play out live with a Kemper would be appreciated.

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2021 3:17 pm     Re: Kemper

Charlie Thompson wrote:
I am considering a Kemper purchase. I am playing multiple instruments live and I am intrigued with the idea of having an input switcher like a Radial JX 42 would change "rigs" via midi when the input switches. some of the bands I play in are using IEMs.

I m wondering who maybe doing this...Also any and all feedback good and bad from those who play out live with a Kemper would be appreciated.

Here is how I’m running it with multiple instruments. I built a pedal with 2 switchable inputs with led’s and 1 output. The ouput goes to the Kemper, one input comes from my steel vloume pedal and the other input comes out of my Line 6 G90 wireless. I also have the Kemper Remote at the front of the stage with a volume pedal going into it. On the Kemper I have the first three performances with 5 rigs each dedicated to steel. The next performance is strictly banjo rigs of various volume presets. The next performance is strictly mandolin rigs of various volumes as well. Then all the following performances are electric guitar grouped by clean rigs, crunchy, artist themed like AC/DC, Foreigner, and such. I use one wireless instrument transmitter between banjo, mando, and guitar and have the external volume pedal programmed to only control those non-steel performances. I just have to remember to switch between steel and guitar on my switcher pedal. I’ve been running it this way for two years now and love it. Because I like to hear my stereo sound of the Kemper without going thru board eq, I run the left and right monitor out of the Kemper in stereo directly into my Mipro digital in-ear transmitter and take a mono xlr feed from the board into the aux in on the Kemper and blend the band in with my direct sound out of the Kemper making sure you turn your own instrument completely down in your aux monitor feed to avoid phase issues. My in ear mix is pure heaven consistently. Hope this helps, I don’t think you may need the Radial and it looks expensive.

Charlie Thompson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2021 3:25 pm    

Thanks Michael. Sounds like you are running 4 instruments. maybe I just need a similar 4 in 1 out switch but it sounds like the Kemper will send a midi program change command that the Radial will see to switch inputs when the preset is changed.

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 15 Mar 2022 10:10 am    

Wally Moyers was performing at the steel show in Dallas this past weekend and he sounded amazing!! He was using his Kemper and playing a Zum and it jumped out of the PA… he’s a strong inventive player and all his sounds were on the money!

Tim Pillow

Arizona
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2022 1:33 pm    

Yep!..That is not surprising. I just bought me one about a month ago been using my the steel guitar profiles from Mike Holder. They sound great and sit perfectly in the front of house mix. It is amazing what this thing can do. They are expensive, but you get a lot for your money, and the tones are amazing.