The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel vs Dobro
Steve Kritz

Shadyside, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2003 9:19 am    

For those who have played both the steel and the dobro,if you had to choose one,which of the two was the hardest to learn and why.Is the transition to either a difficult one and are the mechanics and techniques similar?Lastly,want to wish all Forum members a Merry Christmas and a great 2004......Steve

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2003 10:02 am    

Steve the mechanics are completely different between the dobro and the pedal steel...they are different instruments.
www.genejones.com

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2003 10:15 am    

I started out on dobro, then when I took up steel the width between strings was alkward at first. I pick hard on dobro so I had to learn to let up on steel for the pretty stuff anyway. Steel was and still is more addictive than dobro.
Tony

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2003 12:21 pm    

I started on piano and sax, then guitar, slide guitar, Dobro, lap steel, and finally pedal steel. The piano and pedal steel are the most difficult to learn. The Dobro is like an extension of acoustic guitar playing. Pedal steel is completely different. So many more strings, so close together, all the pedals and knee levers, and the tone using the volume pedal to soften attack and gain sustain is difficult to master. Also the bar is heavier and slower and has no grip. And finally it is electrified and loud, so all your mistakes and intonation problems smack you (and the listener) in the face. But I agree it is the most addictive.

But with every instrument, no matter how inately hard or easy it is, it is all relative, because you are challenged to try to play like the life-long professional virtuosos we all hear in recorded music and concerts. So the sax is one of the easiest instruments there is to learn, but it's not easy to play like Charlie Parker. The Dobro is easier than pedal steel, but playing like Jerry Douglas is not easy.

Harry Williams

Duncan, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2003 1:59 pm    

With regard to transition between the two instruments just the fact that they are usually played with fingerpicks gives them a lot in common. WRT tuning, my dobro is tuned C6, which is the same as the middle 6 strings on my U-12 (with RKR).

------------------

John DeBoalt

Harrisville New York USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2003 5:01 pm    

The hard parts for me were learning to play in the middle of the strings, getting the right grips for the chords. I played a lot of the dobro on the higher 4 strings to cut through with the melody playing bluegrass. That technique obviously doesn't work on the pedal steel. The other thing was learning not to play too hard. The steel needs to be caressed gently. On the steel I have the finger picks wrapped around the ends of my fingers. For the dobro, I change to a set that sticks straight out. I use a herco thumb pick for the steel, and a big fat dunlope pick for the dobro. Then there is another set of bar positions to think about.