The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender 1000 Knee Levers
Jay Fagerlie

Lotus, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2003 10:03 am    

I need some help here…I want to put at least one knee lever on my Fender 1000. I’ve searched the forum and read all of the posts, but what I need is some dimensions for the lever itself. Are there ‘standard’ sizes that manufacturers use? Are there ‘add on’ levers that I can buy to just bolt on? I don’t want to go the ‘barn door hinge and piece of wood’ type, something a bit more authentic. This Fender is the only pedal steel that I really have access to, it has no knee levers now. Ideally, I would like a ‘module’ of sorts, self-contained, that holds the lever (s), and then bolt that to the guitar. I’d like to bolt it to the bottom of the al-mag frame with countersunk bolts, I don’t really want to mount it to the wood itself. I would LOVE for the lever to have an adjustable stop, to get over the single pull - single lower limitation of the stock changer. Anybody have any drawings of such a beast? Does anybody make such a thing already? Did the later Fender steels (mine is a '63)have knee levers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I DON'T want it to be like this....
[img] http://www.scaryoak.com/jay/n1.jpg
[/img]

[This message was edited by Jay Fagerlie on 04 December 2003 at 10:25 AM.]

[This message was edited by Jay Fagerlie on 04 December 2003 at 10:31 AM.]

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2003 10:37 am    

I added 6 knee levers to an S-10 Fender 800 last year and it was a helluva lot of work.I added a 1 1/2" x 1/4" piece of aluminum across the inside back of the guitar frame and hung the levers off of that.Apart from designing the tunable stops and the reversing mechinisms for the right moving levers,that part was fairly easy to get together.What was difficult was finding and/or fabricating the yoke/pulley/cable/hook doo-dads to connect the levers to the changer.It would take a lot of money for me to do that job again. I have good pictures of what I did but I don't have any way to post them.BTW,since you've got an 8-string and it's not much good for an E9 tuning,I'd put a 6th tuning on there and live with the stock setup till I could get a newer 10 string. -MJ-

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2003 11:23 am    

Hello Jay.... last year, Ron Bennett put one knee lever on my Fender 1000.
you can see what he did here......
http://groups.msn.com/TheBritishSteeliesSociety/basilhenriques.msnw?Page=3

It works 110%
Baz www.waikiki-islanders.com

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk