The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Head-end changers on pedal Steel?
Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2003 9:17 am    

I remember seeing some literature on a Fender keyless guitar back in the 70's. I don't think it ever got built but it looked cool. Has anyone built a keyless head-end/changer combination?

Karlis

Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2003 10:52 am    

There were some keyless BMI steels that had a changer at both ends of the guitar. Scotty's had one a while ago, D12/10 with 7&5 that had belonged to some guy named Robby Turner

Looked really interesting, supposedly sounded great... it just seemed like it needed a little tinkering that I couldn't offer... so I passed on it. I think Zane Beck might have made a few with that feature... don't know for sure.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2003 5:00 pm    

About 15 were built, Karlis. Very rare item today!

Click here

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 03 December 2003 at 05:03 PM.]

Jack Strayhorn

Winston-Salem, NC
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2003 8:00 pm    

Ron Lashley built a keyless guitar many years ago with changers in both ends. Never got to play it but it was a beautiful green laquer guitar. I'm sure Ron Jr. still has it put away. Ron also had another changer design before the LeGrand. It could work as an all pull or push pull. Worked smooth as butter put was a little complicated. In this design is where he developed the split tuning. This changer was also patented but never put into production.

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2003 6:02 am    

Bobby Bowman built a D-10 American Steel prototype push-pull with changers at both ends. I saw him playing it last month. Sounded good to me.

Bobby B. is a real inovator and great steel mechanic...pretty nice guy too, come to think of it.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2003 7:27 am    

Karlis,

I am confused. Are you saying a PSG where the changer ALSO incorporated a Keyless tuning head?

I do not believe the Fender as pictured did that. Was it not simply a keyless PSG; with the changer on the right end and the keyless assy on the left end; as most keyless guitars are?

Or am I missing something?

I have seen one PSG that raised from the right end and lowered from the left end. It was called a Bossan and was played on the stage of the ISGC back in the 70's. But it had regular keys on the left end. They moved up and down as the changer moved. There may have been regular keys on the right end as well, not sure. Or all the keys may have been on the left end.

Don Fulmer would know because he was the player who played it that year.

carl

Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2003 8:48 am    

My interest in head-end changers stems from the problems we have with changers that are mounted on rods that are supported only at the ends. I "think" that having a a solid connection to the neck and body at one end of the guitar (the pickup end) and having all of the mechanisms at the head end could possibly enhance the tone and sustain of a guitar. The examples where there are changers at both ends would seem to detract from the tone. A keyless mechanism that also is the changer appears to offer a lot of potential.

Karlis

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2003 9:18 am    

I was of the opinion Gene Fields built the first one when he worked for Fender.

Bob

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2003 9:29 am    

KA, very interesting argument that makes sense to me! Would you put the keyless tuners at the pickup end? I wonder what Joe Kline might have to say regarding this dicussion.
Best,
JB

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2003 9:34 am    

Man! I cannot type! Discussion! Course I can't spell either! Doc made me quit drinkin' coffee, and my skills have been goin' downhill ever since!. JB

Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2003 10:31 am    

I think I would put the changer at the head end and tie the strings to the neck and body at the pickup end. All of these no-pedal steels and the millions of six string guitars are my inspiration for this.

Karlis