The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Refinishing to top of Emmons necks
David Decker

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2003 3:01 pm    

Has anyone had this done or did it them self.
Who can you send the necks to to get this done? I seen the video on the Carter site on how it is done. And I may do it myself. Before I do it I'll practice alot on some scrape alum.

Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2003 3:22 pm    

Hi David,
If you have an orbital sander, you can get the swirly finish by just turning it on and sanding away. You don't need a lot of pressure to get the job done and you don't need to do the entire neck, just where it's exposed.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2003 9:05 pm    

David, what Jerry said and to elaborate, the secret is to touch down, lift and touch down, do not move the sander. You want to hold it still in a spot for a second and lift it and set it down on another spot. The heavier the grit the deeper the design.
About 20 minutes experimenting with a piece of aluminum and various grits and you should be ready to do a good job. I would first prepare the neck by cleaning it with auto
mag wheel cleaner providing the neck is off the guitar and the fretboard it removed. Be sure and mark the 12th and 24th frets on the side of the neck with a piece of tape and a marker before removing the fretboard. Be sure you mark it where you can be sure and get the fretboard on precisely where it was.

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2003 10:10 am    

Several years ago I rebuilt a guitar and used a micro-grit blasting machine to redo the necks and lots of the other non-polished aluminum parts. It's like a mini sand blaster with fine silicon carbide or aluminum oxide grit material rather than 'sand'. It was a bit messy but it worked well.

Jack Strayhorn

Winston-Salem, NC
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2003 8:41 pm    

Jerry is right other than do not clean it. Sand it smooth then change to a new piece of paper and follow Jerry's instructions.
Jack