The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stock Webb Speaker Model?
Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2015 4:30 am    

I've had a momentary brain freeze here...

What was the stock speaker in the Webb 614-E before Tom Bradshaw restarted making them? I know they were a JBL and I'm thinking a K but who can tell me the actual model number, impedance and power rating?

Thanks!

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2015 7:28 am     Webb

My Late pre-Bradshaw came withe a JBL E series 4 ohm.
I've replaced it with an EPS 15C.
Both sound great, but it's a lightweight now.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2015 10:40 am    

If memory serves me correctly, and please anyone feel free to correct me, the early models used Alnico K series 4 ohm but the speakers were only good for about 150 watts and were easily blown with the Webb's 225 watts. They went to the E series ceramic 4 ohm that was rated at 300 watts and I believe the E series was used in most Webbs as the stock speaker. I prefer the E series even tho they can be a bit harsh sounding compared to the K series. But they cut through the mix very well and add to the Webb amp "growl"
Dave

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2015 11:49 am    

My 1978 has the original E130 8 ohm in it.."....

John Bresler

Thornton, Colorado
Post  Posted 10 May 2015 1:03 pm    

The first Webb amps (614-E) came stock with a JBL K-130 4 ohm 15" speaker. Most of these speakers couldn't handle the 225 watts of power and I believe Jim replaced them with the E series JBL's.

Cool Cool

Scott Hay

Portland, OR / Yucca Valley, CA USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2015 12:25 pm    

I second the E-130 for "the" stock Webb sound.

Loren Morehouse

Meadowlands, MN USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2015 1:16 pm    

Mine has an SRO Electro Voice, was that a special option? Loren.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2015 9:11 am    

Not sure about the SRO or what it stands for, but I know Webb option included the EV-15L so maybe the SR o was its predecessor. I actually purchased a 15L back then and still have it in an ext cab.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2015 11:11 am    

Kevin Mincke wrote:
My 1978 has the original E130 8 ohm in it.."....

I believe the JBL E series was introduced in 1982...

B

Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2015 4:25 pm     Webb Amp Speakers

When I bought the Webb Company n 2005, I chose to use an Eminence neodymium-magnet speaker. I can't remember the model number. It was lighter (by nearly 20 pounds) and was about the same price as the Eminence speaker that Jim had been installing in his amps. At that time, the Eminence Company just sent me one to try out. I was impressed and they were surprised, having not done any testing to see how their new neo speaker would project the sound of a steel. I chose to test the neo against a new JBL E-130 I had, as well as against the Eminence speaker that Jim Webb had been using in the Webb amp for several years after JBL stopped building amp speakers. I got the great Bobby Black to help me A/B all three speakers. I discovered that it was nearly impossible to hear a difference between the JBL and the Eminence neo. But against the Eminence that Jim Webb had been installing in his amps, both performed slightly better. So, I immediately ordered 50 of the neo's and installed them in the 20 Webb amps that I ended up producing and selling. I believe that Eminence now offers a neo speaker that they say is designed to handle a steel guitar. I haven't heard anything about it, but suspect it could be even superior to the neo speaker I used.

Here are the Eminence speakers that Jim Webb was installing from sometime in the '90s and until I bought the Company:

For 12" cabinets: Model 121729 (8 ohms)
For 15" cabinets: Model 151498 (8 ohms)

I was told by old Webb amp employees that Jim Webb had these speakers specially designed for the Webb amp. Frankly, I doubt that. I believe that the Eminence Company sent him several speakers to try with his amps, then he chose the one that sounded best to him and the main man behind the design-sound of the amp, John Campbell. I say this because when I considered a neo speaker from Eminence I told them the models that Jim had been buying from them. They were surprised, telling me that those speakers were for bass amp applications. Perhaps that is the reason for amp analysts stating that the Webb amp had an extended bass range. Brad Sarno may correct me, but I think he is one of those analysts to mentioned this here on the Forum.

Jim Webb may have tried out other speakers after JBL stopped supplying them, but no old Webb employee told me that he did. Buyers of the last models of Webb's might be able to fill in this information here on the Forum.

The JBL's that Jim was using at the end of the 1975 to 1984 production runs (and maybe in the early 1995 to 2005 production runs) were E-120's and E-130's. I suspect that all of these had 8-ohm voice coils. At some point Jim changed to 8-ohm voice coils because the 4-ohm speakers were blowing too often.

Owners of the Webb amps here on the Forum may be able to attest to other brands and models of speakers that Jim Webb used during the years he built his amps. I cannot for certain, but do know that many had JBL D-120's and D-130's in them. I hope this information is helpful. ...Tom

Ronald Jones

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2020 12:10 pm     Webb Speakers

. Best Offer. Ron Jones (925) 503-7134

Ronald Jones

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2020 12:13 pm     Webb Speaker

. Best Offer. Ron Jones. (925) 503-7134