The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  looking for Big E on Amazing America TV show
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2016 6:54 pm    

Amazing America was a series on the Discovery channel hosted by Kevin Nealon. not sure how long it lasted but I do remember one episode which featured Scotty's convention in St. Louis and included music and interview clips of Buddy Emmons among others. apparently Nealon himself is a musician and steel guitar enthusiast.

I even found the episode listed on TVGuide.com:
http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/amazing-america/episodes/387575/

I'm sure several of us recall seeing the show, I'm just wondering if anyone might have the episode recorded?

while I'm at it, I've been searching many years now for the Austin City Limits episode featuring the Nashville Superpickers (with Buddy and Russ Hicks among others) and Tom T. Hall, listed here:
http://www.tv.com/shows/austin-city-limits/nashville-super-pickers-followed-by-tom-t-hall-1126277/

just thought i'd ask... thanks

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2016 7:43 pm    

Please forgive if I'm stating the well-known, but if perhaps anyone reading this is as yet unaware:

Not clear from your post if you already know this, but there is at least an album on vinyl or CD of at least part of the Nashville Super Pickers from that ACL performance. (No Tom T. Hall, and there doesn't seem to be video available.)
https://www.amazon.com/Austin-Limits-Nashville-Super-Pickers/dp/B000000MET/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472096176&sr=8-1&keywords=nashville+super+pickers

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2016 7:46 pm    

thanks Britt, yes I have and love the Superpickers album. I've wanted to see the ACL episode on which they appeared ever since getting that LP years ago

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2016 7:53 pm    

Me too!

Arnold Leeuwenburgh

Holland
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 9:06 am     ACL 1979 and Lone Star Saturday Night 1988 with Buddy Emmons

Scott, Brint,

I also have been searching many years for the ACL video of the Nashville Superpickers (1979).

Maybe one of the forum members can help us.....

Also looking for a recording of an aired show (radio broadcast) from 1988 at the Texas Opry House in Austin called "Willie Nelson's Lone Star Saturday Night" with Buddy Emmons among others.

Ben Rubright

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2016 5:58 am    

I have a copy of the Discovery Channel presentation of the ISGC. I accidentally made the 'final cut' and Scotty made a VHS copy of the program for me. (NO, I was not playing!) I was standing behind the cameraman watching and listening to them interview Buddy as he was sitting at his steel demonstrating various things. The interviewer asked Buddy the following question, 'Why do people came from all over the world to this convention.' Buddy answered, 'Why don't you ask them?' The cameraman turned around and there I was....I gave a 4 or 5 second answer and it made the program. I suspect that Mary Scott has the tape from which my copy was made.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 1:56 pm    

Ben, would you be able to make a copy of that for me?
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Ben Rubright

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 5:15 pm    

Hi Jim

We spend the summers in PA but the tape is at home in Florida. We will not return to FL until 2/3 of the way thru October. Send me your address via PM and when I return home, I will make you a tape. Scotty did not sell these tapes to make money, he just charged me the price of the VHS tape and the postage to send it to me so I do not feel that I am giving away anything that the Scoot family is selling. I will be happy to send it to you.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 6:17 pm    

Ben, tried the PM, but never using it, I don't think it worked. 106 Union St, Franklin, Pa 16323. Thanks.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 11:01 pm    

well hey, I'd sure love a copy too. I'll even send you some rare things on DVD as trade. let me know, thanks

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2024 2:57 pm    

bringing this back up might be worth a shot, with the Superpickers on ACL finally surfacing. this was a short but sweet segment from Scotty's convention in St. Louis with some great up-close footage of Big E, talking and playing. hosted by Kevin Nealon.

I never did hear back from Ben

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2024 5:55 am    

some convention clips here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAI7ggzeOEw&t=4694s

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2024 8:06 am    

As far as the Austin City Limits show with the Nashville Super Pickers, there is 30 minutes of it posted on YouTube, not sure why the person with the YouTube post didn't post all if it, but it cuts out after 30 minutes-at least there are 30 minutes. It is here in case anyone is still interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV_FviNIi3I

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2024 1:39 pm    

I think 30 mins is all they got, the episode was split with Tom T. Hall