The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is Joe Wright Really Quitting Steel Shows
Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 9:40 am    

Its a little difficult for me to understand why Joe is not going to do any shows at all any more. I can understand that at many he doesn't make any money with the travel etc.

Joe said many times he made more money with shows than he did working with Charley. I assume he no longer makes very much money on his instructional materials.

I have always thought the shows didn't give him enough time. One time at Norwalk there were a lot of cancellations and Joe played a lot of the time, it was great, the normal 30 minutes is way too short for him.

He is absolutely exceptional both as as performer, steel player, and singer. I love when he sings. He will be greatly missed, but if we are lucky maybe he will occasionally perform, but he may need to make a clean break.

He was the reason I went to some of the shows.

Joe, if you are reading this please know that you are very appreciated, the only complaint I ever had about your shows was that they were too short.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 10:22 am    

Joe came up to Alberta in about 1999 to give a course and perform. His talent is off the charts...and attending that one day course was the single most important day in my steel learning experience.

The problem with certain vocations is they are motivated by the journey...not by the destination. The top guys reach the destination... and for those of us who havent...maybe we are the lucky ones.

If the rewards arent there it can start twisting a person up inside. The negatives whether financial stresses or having a-hole tormentors in authority over us can turn our passions against us. If there is one thing to learn in life it is to be prepared to walk away from certain things that are not feeding the spirit in the right way. I respect the decision.

I remember Jim Loessberg commenting that Jazz saved his interest in his steel career.

It all just tells me that it must be difficult when you reach the top.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 10:40 am    

Sage observations, Tom. Neutral

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 11:04 am    

As far as making money, I think Joe, or anyone else who sells instructional material can do far better selling on line and featuring their playing with Youtube videos. Flying around the world, hauling a pedal steel guitar to play for relatively small audiences at a steel shows is a losing proposition IMO. If you're in it for fun and glory, sure go for it.
Before the Internet well known steel guitarists could cover costs and make a profit selling their CDs and instructional courses at shows. That doesn't work as well now because the audiences are smaller and most students/players buy on line. I played 10 or more PSGA shows in the 1980s and 90s, 25 MassBash shows, and several Rhode Island steel shows. But the attendance at all these shows diminished over the years and IMO it doesn't make financial sense to play steel shows any more considering the amount of time preparing your set list, writing charts for the band, practicing your songs, traveling, hauling your gear... again, if you're in it for glory and fun, go for it. It's just that it gets old after 35 years.

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 16 Mar 2015 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 11:19 am    

that is exactly true doug - even this week in Dallas there were some things that i wanted - either instruction or CDs and i just grabbed a card and will order online at some future point. years ago, if you didnt go to the shows, this stuff was impossible to find. the only time i will buy now is if there is a special show price to make it practical.

I had not thought about the free YouTube stuff either - i think that the majority of new players are getting their info/lessons for free on YT...vs the quite expensive instructional material sold by the players - but i understand that is how they make a living...
there is so much free stuff out there now - good for students, not so good for the players selling learning material. you would have been called crazy to think just a few years ago the internet would be putting music teachers (and other skilled trades people) out of business but it seems to be.

the big steel shows are really going to go thru a tuff time, heck they already are - if the players just say its not worth it. and i have privately talked to many pros and most feel this way - its not worth it - they go mostly to hang with old friends. maybe to get your name out or a new product/CD launched is the only reason.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 12:49 pm    

i understand the problem, but remember when it was all just for the love of the instrument?

come to think of it, remember when flower power was going to change the world?

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 1:01 pm    

I remember flower power; it was a particular flower... a wildwood flower.
Yes, Tom, it's difficult when you've reached the top.
It was a long way down; it was that flower....

Art, like life, has gotten more expensive.
If it's no fun anymore, shouldn't do it.
Usually, there'll be another steeler to fill the spot with something different.
There seems to be a concern that some day there won't be.

Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 1:35 pm     Omg

OMG that's very sad news & such a shame Joe has had to come to that decision.
If a talent like Joe Wright can't cover costs at these events, then what hope is there for the rest?
I feel very privileged & lucky to have seen Joe perform in Brisbane, & it was a very entertaining show, not to mention his superior steel work, & his very generous time & effort doing a workshop for us.
Joe, you're always welcome back "down-under"

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 3:04 pm    

I totally understand the money aspect of the steel shows and the costs impacting everyone. Having been a member of the PSGA for over 40 yrs and VP for 20 or more, the cost of everything is going up. This affects the performers and the venue. Trying to get pro status players is becoming more and more expensive. And, I understand their logic and thinking and that they are trying to make a living in our small community. It's unfortunate that it's coming to this status. We, the PSGA, try to create an exhilarating and informative show each year, but, our kitty only holds so much and we can't afford to go into the red each year. When we are able to acquire some name players, we need to charge more at the door, then, there are grumblings from some of the audience. But, we are trying to please.. Back to Joe. I can support his feelings and understand them, but, not having him at a show will be a big loss. He's a great steel player and a real funny comedian. A pure talent from start to finish. I wish him the best with his future endeavors and maybe one day he'll have change of heart and more cash in his wallet.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 4:48 pm    

I can understand his motivation. I was just concerned that with all the clowning he does, the audience missed what he was saying and that we didn't give him a proper send off. I hope that if he reads all this, he will see how much he was loved and respected. Thanks

L. A. Wunder

Lombard, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 5:44 pm    

I'm afraid too many show attendees didn't really get the chance to hear what a great player Joe is. The first thing in most of his sets was his comedy bit, which didn't leave much time fir him to show his great steel chops. One year at the Southern Illinois show, I got in on Fri. afternoon, and decided to pay that day's admission and listen the players remaining that night. Joe didn't bother to haul out "Theawfulist" and just sat down and played. I never enjoyed him more, and made sure to catch his Friday night set every year thereafter. I understand his decision, but I'll miss his awesome steel chops.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 11:58 pm    

I’m glad someone finally had that honest moment during one of those shows. It’s been a long time coming.
Someone finally had the balls to disagree with this steaming pile of BS Fantasy Land mentality “it’s a labor of love” so it’s OK to get screwed when you play, teach and build steel guitars.

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 1:33 am    

Pay the man more money! Let em grumble! If you can pay four bucks for a gallon of gas, you can squeeze out more bucks to see someone as great as Joe Wright! -Jake-

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 8:56 am    

Joe and I have been discussing his potential retirement from the steel shows for several years now. This decision of his has been given much thought, indeed. I will miss my friend very much, because we were generally neighbors at the product tables and kind of cut from the same cloth attitude wise.

As someone who used to do quite well with merch sales at steel shows, I can vouch for the fact that the Internet has pretty much made the product table obsolete. Ninety-nine percent of my sales are online orders through my website or b0b's. Most everyone I've talked to said sales are down at the shows. And the plethora of stuff available for free on YT, and yes, here on the Forum does cheapen the product of the guys trying to make a living as steel players.

It's a fact of musico-economic Darwinism the record companies have been trying to figure out for years.

I'm not griping, mind you, just observing. There's new players coming on all the time, and I keep selling course material, only the vast majority coming online.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 12:07 pm     As a vendor at steel shows

I had Breakfast with Joe at the show one morning and he told me that is was his last. We have had a breakfast or two for the past several years and he has mentioned that he simply could not go on. It must make dollars and since to do these things.

I show at the Dallas show and of course the Phoenix show. For the past several years I have emceed and shown at the Baxter Springs show.

Joe and several vendors at shows and I have had discussions about Yes it is a labor of love BUT it must make $$$$$ since too. Many do not realize how much it cost to show. First there is the inventory just to have enough of the right things there. Then the travel expense. BUT many have told me they simply do not make enough to do it.

People can stand back and say this or that but those are the facts. I am fortunate to have had very successful shows where I go back to. Many simply do not pay.

Speaking for steelseats only I have to look at each and every show like that. They take lots of time out of the actually shop as well. The Dallas Show takes a little over a week and a half for me.

Once again I am not complaining because I am lucky to have something new each year and I do well in Phoenix and Dallas compared to the expenses I have. I leave Phoenix Wed AM one week and am spending this Wed - unloading and organizing what I have to do and to make sure I have all the promises lined up I made in Dallas.

I have enjoyed Joe and we have had several discussions at the Dallas Show since I have owned steelseats.

My 2 cents worth.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 12:32 pm    

Maybe I am missing something, I understand the money issue, but I can't understand that Joe is just never ever going to attend or perform at another steel show, even if it were somewhat profitable, for example one close enough that he didn't have to travel?

Is Joe quitting as a musician entirely? Of course its his own business what he does and if he doesn't want anyone to know that is just fine, but these kind of terse announcements make people wonder and are puzzling.

I actually believe that Joe is underrated by most people as a musician, I think he is absolutely phenomenal, but many people have other opinions which is just the nature of art/music.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 2:08 pm    

I will miss Joe as well, having seen him at the PSGA shows for over the past ten years.

Joe is nothing short of a genius and his playing is unmatched. I have enjoyed talking with him over the years.

I understand his decision and I think it's something a lot of players are dealing with in this new economy and age of technology, lots of things are changing, some good, some not so good.

Hope your dogs are doing well Joe, I'll miss you

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 2:30 pm    

I see another side of this dilemma - that of the same old players, doing the same old songs, the same old jokes and routines, and playing (mostly) for nothing to the same old crowd, year...after year...after year. Face it, the "old guard" passing on, retiring, or going on to more profitable enterprises is probably the only way you're going to get more new (and hopefully, young) players to come around. Sure, I like old stuff, but without more variety and young people getting involved, we're as doomed as accordion players were back in the '50s.

Now that the few real-and-different stylists we had are gone (guys like Brumley, Chalker, Rhodes, and Mooney), and the Robert Randolph fervor has died down, there's a foreboding sameness to just about everything I'm hearing, and that's not a good thing, IMHO. Imagination has withered, artistic innovation has stalled, and about the only way players can come up with something new these days is to add a lever, or buy some new dingus to play through.

Flame suit ON. Alien

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 2:38 pm    

Donny, good observation.

I also think that there are a really huge amount of younger players that are just too busy playing in bands and on the road so there is a lull in available players and audiences since they are out in the trenches.

I had a discussion with a guy in Norwalk last fall who says there are a boat load of steel players in Brooklyn, NY and are either not connected to the Forum or steel community or are just plain too busy.

We must try new formats or venues to keep things fresh and attract the younger audience. I'm 52 and am usually the youngest person at our show, I'd like to see that change.

I would like to hear things that are working for other steel groups.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Stephen Gregory

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2015 9:39 am    

Spot On, Donny!

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2015 10:04 am    

Joe was huge and positive influence on me as a teacher. His approach is musically comprehensive. It helped me get through the door as a beginning player and treat the steel as a musical instrument and not just a country lick machine. His help and encouragement meant the world to me.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2015 11:06 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
I see another side of this dilemma - that of the same old players, doing the same old songs, the same old jokes and routines, and playing (mostly) for nothing to the same old crowd, year...after year...after year. Face it, the "old guard" passing on, retiring, or going on to more profitable enterprises is probably the only way you're going to get more new (and hopefully, young) players to come around. Sure, I like old stuff, but without more variety and young people getting involved, we're as doomed as accordion players were back in the '50s.

Now that the few real-and-different stylists we had are gone (guys like Brumley, Chalker, Rhodes, and Mooney), and the Robert Randolph fervor has died down, there's a foreboding sameness to just about everything I'm hearing, and that's not a good thing, IMHO. Imagination has withered, artistic innovation has stalled, and about the only way players can come up with something new these days is to add a lever, or buy some new dingus to play through.

Flame suit ON. Alien

This is obvious to those of us who've been attending steel shows for quite some time.

However Donny, there are some things happening at some steel guitar shows that are new, different, and refreshing, but maybe not at shows that you're attending.

The Texas show has ventured into featuring the Cajun Connection, having a big band (horn section, multi-fiddles) western swing dance, and several players who eschew the Nashville-E9-let's-cop-Buddy's-licks formula, and some 6th-tuning-only players as well as some non-pedallers on the main stage.

Also Tommy Dodd, wherever he's performing, brings new tunes into the mix that one would never think could be a steel song, yet here it comes. Jim Cohen also presents adventurous material when he's got the time to attend and perform.

The SWSGA show in Phoenix in particular does great stuff you should hear. I'm talking about the pickers from California; specifically Doug Livingston, Boo Bernstein, Peter Freiberger, Skip Edwards, Pete Grant, Rick Schmidt, our own b0bby Lee Quasar, and the entertaining "rest of the story" presentations by Jay Dee Maness. These guys aren't "Nashvillized" and their various approaches to steel guitar are new and very refreshing.

There are players I know of, here in Austin and other towns, who are non-mainstream and really provocative musicians, but they don't play the big shows and don't have the time to do so anyway.

We, as a musical collective far more populous than the Forum, do have a variety to offer. For a long time ISGC and other shows have relied on an old paradigm to present styles and players that attract a dwindling audience. Newer players were not brought up and "sold," as it were, to the audiences. When the leadership of these shows pass on to younger people, perhaps a wider variety will be available for the attendees.

The only shows I've attended in the Deep South are the Nashville Super Jams, and the long-defunct New Orleans shows from the mid-90's. At the Super Jams, I pretty much represent Texas lately... Wink. Are the performers exclusively E9 traditional country players, or are there more stylistically varied approaches presented?

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2015 11:34 am    

Quote:
Imagination has withered, artistic innovation has stalled, and about the only way players can come up with something new these days is to add a lever, or buy some new dingus to play through.

Providing the producer(s) will let them… Wink

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2015 12:42 pm    

I have a question if I may, why are steel guitar licks getting any older than guitar licks? Guitars were around for decades earlier that PSG, sure seems their licks should be getting a little old and stale too. Haven't guitar players played everything there is to play yet too?

I tend to think it's more the crowd that has grown up around the PSG more than anything else, they're the ones demanding the "old stuff" and won't accept anything that deviates from it. Younger people for too long associated PSG with that style and were having none of it. IMHO, only now is PSG beginning to be accepted as a musical instrument capable of playing anything the player wants to, from rock to jazz. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, the old crowd is dying out and the young aren't into that style.

I would also agree that the internet has changed the way money is made, and I concede the shows probably aren't the money makers they used to be.

I think the PSG is going to survive, what is not is the perception of what people think it should sound like (old country). PSG has to roll with the flow, tastes change, times change. Every other instrument has more or less survived because it adapted to those changes.

My 2 cents, YMMV.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2015 1:21 pm    

Very well put, I agree.