The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Howard Steel Guitar
Steve Goodson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2015 10:25 am    

Anyone know anything about Howard Steel Guitars?

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2015 7:00 pm     Howard Pedal Steels.

I used to go in their shop in Grand Prairie Texas, in the '70's. Never cared for the build quality, or the look of a Howard. The cheap tuning keys and general overall look of the guitar just didn't set right with me. It was one of the reasons I bought an MSA.

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2015 7:31 pm    

Well, I can tell you about an experience I had looking at a Howard guitar, up-close. This was back about 1979, in a well-known steel player's music store. The Howard I looked at was among all the well-known brands on display in that music store. I was just starting out on pedal steel and was looking to buy one. Even though I didn't have much playing experience, I managed to learn basically, what a CONVENTIONAL pedal steel guitar should be--mechanics-wise. Anyway, I just wanted to point-out the PECULIAR tuning design of the Howard. I looked at every other brand with the CONVENTIONAL tuner port in the changer end plate, and when I came to the Howard--with no visable tuning port, I was stunned to see the very odd way of tuning it. I was told, that you would eventually memorize where each tuner was, underneath the guitar, to tune each pedal and knee lever! Yikes!!! Imagine--you sitting behind the guitar, then reaching underneath to find the correct tuner to tune whatever pedal and/or knee lever! Needless to say, I immediately crossed it off my list of possible steels to buy!

Here's some photos from my Howard brochure:

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2015 2:00 am    

Howard guitars were built by Tom McCormick up in Grand Prairie TX. He also had a line of amplifiers, but you don't see many of those at all; the guitars do show up from time to time. I recall Diamond Jim Richmond played one back in the 70's with David Alan Coe.

One of the anachronistic items of steel guitar history, for sure.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jack Mansfield

Reno, NV
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2015 4:41 am     Howard steel guitar

I had a Howard that I bought in the mid nineties.the guitar was a faux wood grain, it had cables instead of rods, and you had to tune it underneath. I liked the tone but the reason I got rid of it was that it weighed so much. Heaviest guitar I ever had and that was an S10. There is one on eBay for sale with about 7 hours left. Current bid is $860.00.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2022 6:41 am    

Here's a single 12 Howard
https://modesto.craigslist.org/msg/d/modesto-howard-s12-pedal-steel/7471635430.html

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2022 5:26 pm    

There's a guy a few miles from here that has one I'll go see. He told me it's cable pull. He does a single acoustic act and will probably never play it out. He said it weighs a ton too. I'm not in the market but I'll take some pics when I get over there.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2022 7:50 am    

As Herb stated Diamond Jim Richmond played one with David Alan Coe,For a while I had a job planting trees for the city of Grand Prairie and would visit with Tom McCormick frequently....He had a sign in his window that said"Gone Fishing"
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Michael Parich

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2022 8:30 am    

Hi folks
I just got my hands on a real fixer upper of a Howard S-10.

The pedal assemblies are missing. I’m a fabricator of many things so building something from aluminum/steel/wood probably won’t be a problem but if anyone has some photos of the pedals and their connection/attachment points I would greatly appreciate seeing them.

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2022 3:37 pm    

I've been trying to get ahold of the guy I know that has one. Last time I talked to him he had moved it out to some ranch where he rehearses and said he doesn't want to move it unless he has to. I'll let him know again that I'd like to scope it out & get some pictures. I don't know how long that will take.

Michael Parich

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2022 4:24 pm    

Thanks

I found a few old sale postings on reverb but nothing in detail.

This guitar is pretty light - 1/4 the weight of an MSA I have. Excited to see if I can make it do anything

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2022 6:46 pm    

I got ahold of the guy with the Howard. He just got back from Telluride bluegrass & has a pretty good case of Covid. So I'll get some photos but not right away.

Michael Parich

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2022 1:25 pm    

Bumping this
Thanks to your friend in advance

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 6 Nov 2022 10:03 am    

Derek Blake who owns the Howard got out to the ranch where he's kept it and texted me these pictures. I also texted them to Michael so he can possibly machine the pedals he's missing. Cool looking pedals those. Derek is probably going to bring it over when he gets time and we'll work on a proper tune & lube. Looks like a headache to me but probably just takes some getting used to. I'm looking forward to hearing it!