The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  And so we go, round and round
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 2:53 pm    

So I just bought a second 8 string dobro to try a C6 tuning on it. My Mike Auldridge is in G6. Was curious how it would sound so I thought i'd do a bit of search on it on the forum.

Imagine my surprise to find this old post https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=877627&sid=68a9b7a5a6072aceed409ed26bab9427

Not only do I not remember playing C6 on the dobro, I forgot the Benoit was an 8 string. The way I'm going, I'll be playing trumpet again soon. Hung out with Howard R a few weeks back and he reminded me I sold him my old MA-8 years ago when I picked up the trumpet for 5 years.

If I had all the instruments I've bought and sold and rebought and resold.

I had a baritone weissenborn once. I asked Howard if he wanted to buy it years ago and he said no. so I sold it to someone in upstate New York. Howard ended up buying it from that guy and I bought it back from Howard. I just recently sold it.

My name is Bill and I'm a dobroholic.

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 3:24 pm    

Hi Bill, thanks for sharing. Someone had to say it.

You're not alone, as I'm sure you know. I just sold one back to the guy who traded it in 5 years ago at the music store where I was teaching. I picked it up the day it came into the store, and he says he regretted right away trading it off, but never asked where it went to.

Like many of us, I've gone through a seemingly uncountable number of instruments through the years. I guess it's all part of our never-ending program of 12 half-steps.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 3:37 pm    

Lol.

We were all in the same merry go round of music instruments over the years.

I had so many different guitars and 12 string guitars acoustic and electric it made me laugh.

Glad I finally settled after hearing Barney Kessel say. He only needed one. And that’s the one Gibson he recorded and played with for 90% of his career.

As knowing an instrument was more than just the notes it was the string spacing, the neck, the wood, the pickups, machine heads, bridge and nut. The nuances and issues vary from one to another so better to know your one inside out than a collection that is merely a passing acquaintance.

Hence why I literally only have one now. And if I changed I would retire/(give to my kids) it and still only have one.

I get what one is all about. I’m starting to learn the strengths and weaknesses of my instrument based upon the luthier and how it affects playability.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 3:47 pm    

You're ready for a 12 half-step program, Bill Smile

I appreciate the reminders Amazon gives me when I order a CD and a note pops up that says, "you ordered this on July 3, 2015" Now I just have to remember where I put it.

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 3:51 pm    

Going through instruments, for me, has had a lot to do with what I've needed at various times. I've never been a collector, but still have a closet-full of musical tools. I do solo acoustic gigs, double on steel/rhythm-electric in my swing trio, sit in with various other acts - so I have a lot of gear around. I don't believe that I excel on any one instrument (steel may be closest), but I value being "workmanlike" on all the ones I use.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 6:25 pm    

Ha! I wish I'd held on to the Asher I sold you years ago, Bill. I liked that one. Smile

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 7:09 pm    

Andy did I buy that from you? If you want it, I have it up for sale, going completely acoustic. If you want it back, I'll give you a good price. I didn't remember I bought if from you.

https://reverb.com/item/7352742-asher-electro-hawaiian-model-1

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 7:10 pm    

LOL, that is hysterical. We should just have a lending library of instruments. Talk about incestuous.

Former Member

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 1:05 am    

Yeah,
I wish I had the money back from all the guitars that came and went!
Definitely need a higher power to hold me back, just bought another yesterday.
Got a stack of high end beauties, and only play my JB frypan, hollow neck tricone:
Never selling those. My main talent is buying high and selling low.
Oh well, off to work I go
—hey anyone NEED an 8 string Bear Creek Weis?

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2018 3:02 am    

Quote:
My main talent is buying high and selling low.
Tell me about it!
And Bill, see p.m.