The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal slide?
Gary S. Lynch

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2015 5:10 pm    

Any one have input on this new type of slide.
Looks interesting and innovative..

This should be a link with video:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pedal-Slide-by-Axtremity-Inc-Play-what-was-before-impossible-on-Lap-Steel-etc-/171666975882?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f8262c8a

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2015 5:18 pm    

i thought it was interesting and innovative.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2015 5:37 pm    

No wonder it's cool. They mentioned Tim Wallis as one of the inventors. If you want to see an unusual and incredible guitar bender look up Tim Wallis and listen to his playing on 6 string guitar with dual benders. He is amazing and played some of the steel guitar shows in Peoria Illinois.

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2015 5:47 pm     Pricetremity

I saw this at NAMM and was knocked out--ready to buy one on the spot...had they been available for sale.

I learn after the fact that the asking price exceeds my interest by more than 200 per cent.

Gary S. Lynch

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 3:07 am    

Ben,
Aside from the cost....which does seems a deterrent.
Any comments on bar weight, quality, ease of use?
Thanks.

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 4:20 am    

when i checked that video out - i was thinking that would never work...you now have to concentrate on TWO intonation points that constantly change as you move over the fretboard. i have to get the bar in the right place and the thumb mechanism - but the demonstration video guy does a pretty good job handling it.
I'm thinking this is more along the lines of a movable capo where your thumb becomes the 'bar'

if anything it is good to see some interest in innovating steel guitar. i can see some rocker using this on a major cut and...every kid will be playing steel guitar again.

Greg Moynihan

Bremerton, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 7:17 am    

I think this is a seriously cool and intriguing device. I love the concept of getting more jazz chords and pedal-ish licks on instruments, which are all single-neck 6-stringers. It's also nifty how the gadget works without committing any physical modification to the instrument. Maybe, with such flexibility, I could forgo jumping up to a larger instrument a while, that would be like magic.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 7:40 am    

It certainly looks interesting based on the video. I'm not sure I'd spend $160 on a bar without getting a chance to try it out first.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 7:46 am    

I saw a guy do the same thing with a thimble like device on two fingers giving him the bar notes plus two fretted notes. This is a great invention and using it seems very intuitive. It opens up a lot of nice rhythm vamps and guitar riffs on the lower strings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 7:57 am    

it's a trippy little device. someone will probably do some cool stuff. and i don't think the price is that out of line.
but i don't want one.

Grant Johnson

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 8:33 am    

I am mostly playing six string bluegrass dobro and 8 string dobro for country and swing. I bought one specifically to use with the eight string dobro. I will let you know how it works... It is cheaper than palm pedal tail pieces and an interesting way to extend the instruments range... I am excited about this bar...

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 8:37 am    

i like it!! its very cool! its too expensive!!! its limited to the slide its connected to. but its VERY cool! did i already say that?

i get some extra notes with the thumb by using a 39cent brass ground rod connector i found in my parts box.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 8:40 am    

I just bought one. Will give a report after I get up to speed. I think it has many great possiblities.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 9:12 am    

I think the price is fair. After all, many spend $70-80 for a regular ol' bullet bar.

I'd like to see different bar types (shape, diameter, nose) available. I can already envision what a really good pedal steel player might do with it in conjunction with pedals and knee levers.

Tim Wallis

East Peoria, IL
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 11:03 am     Pedal Slide

Hey y'all. I appreciate all the comments (good and bad). As far as price.... I was really hoping to come in lower, but there's a lot of machining involved and we didn't want to put out a low quality product. Also, keeping it made in the USA comes with a cost. We'd been approached by several overseas manufacturers, but I have no interest in taking jobs away from American workers to put out a cheap product.

If we could lower the price we would. In order for dealers & distributors to be able to buy and sell it the profit margin is low as it can be.

The Pedal Slide's won't be for everyone, but I think / hope there's enough players out there that will use it and come up with their own style of playing it.

We'll be adding more videos and information as we go. We're just launching this product so it'll be a lot of trial and error.

Thanks,
Tim Wallis

Chase Brady

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 11:27 am    

Tim, can you tell us the length and weight of the bar?

Norman Markowitz

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 12:28 pm    

Regarding the price. I'm not a musician. Just a fan of the steel guitar. $160.00 doesn't seem in any way excessive to me, especially after reading all the reasons cited.

Don't you think people should be rewarded for being innovative and working hard to come up with a product that people will enjoy using and get some tangible benefit from?

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 1:04 pm    

I'm excited about this product. I dreamed about something like this last year and embarrassed myself making a video of some experiments using sockets taped to my thumb as the extremity. I will be happy to pay for one! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Quote:
We're just launching this product so it'll be a lot of trial and error.

Is the Axtremity going to be further developed? How about an extremity on the back side of the bar allowing you to drop tones behind the bar.

perfect timing for this, I have a birthday coming up..... Smile

Tim Wallis

East Peoria, IL
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 1:30 pm    

Dave Zirbel wrote:
I'm excited about this product. I dreamed about something like this last year and embarrassed myself making a video of some experiments using sockets taped to my thumb as the extremity. I will be happy to pay for one! Very Happy Very Happy

Dave you'd probably get a kick out of our early prototypes. We're very happy with this model, but I'm sure we'll be coming up with some different models down the road.

We get a lot of questions about a bullet nose model. Personally I use the extended cam for a bullet nose. For me it works well for that. There is a learning curve to the Pedal Slide, so we'll see how players adapt to it.

I do appreciate the responses. I really do look forward to seeing what other players do with it!

Greg Moynihan

Bremerton, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2015 5:26 pm    

The curiosity and excitement has whelmed me, I have just ordered mine!

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2015 5:37 am    

Tim, is the bar hollow all the way through? Do you know the weight of the bar alone, without accounting for the attachment?

Congratulations on a cool product.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2015 6:12 am    

Tim Wallis wrote:
I'm sure we'll be coming up with some different models down the road.

Tim, any plans to make the attached mechanism available separately for mounting to a player's tonebar of choice?

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2015 7:20 am    

Ordered mine!

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2015 4:29 pm    

This looks like a really useful tool for an advanced player (which I'm not). Speaking strictly on the workmanship involved it seems well worth the price.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2015 6:20 pm    

Hopefully these will be for sale in Dallas?