The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mini Disc ?
David Hartley

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 8:39 pm    

Does anyone still use this at all?

I have x95, used, with tracks and mmt8 data on..

DH

Leroy Golden

Muskegon, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2015 1:49 pm    

Yes David, I have a rackmount stereo unit that I still use sometimes as a digital back-up unit...pristine sound and very good editing features, and as I recently found out more reliable than CD back-up in some cases.

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2015 4:48 pm    

Depending on how it's used, Minidisc may have ATRAC data compression on the files. They did that so it could compete with CD.

ATRAC does not sound bad at all, but for backup purposes, I'd use a USB drive or burned CDs/DVDs for safety copies.

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2015 10:50 am     I used to use mini disc's to load cassette tape tracks to

Kind of gave up on those & started using Audacity program & making my backing tracks running through a 'Eurorack' mixer outputs to the back of my Dell Computer and several other computers over the years. I make all my own backing tracks that I use with my little (2 girls & me} group. I do a lot of nursing home shows, & an occasional gig. I have had great luck using CD's with me playing bass guitar, rhythm & some lead, & adding a little bit of my Yamaha drum machine that lets me tap the drums I want. With Audacity you can add many tracks, then it mixes them for you & you can add to them from there as far as compression, equalizations & so on.. I am 71 years young, so I probably don't know much about other recording equipment. I have done some studio recording in several local studios from Pittsburg to Wv. But I am no Monster steel player, but I do play a lot of instrumentals & back myself up on my MSA S-10 with 6pedals & 5 levers. I use the low bass E9th tuning, but have had many different steel guitars over the years. I love em all!!

Ernie Pollock 301-264-4172 sorry, I have no email & use a relatives computer.