The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Picking questions
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2003 3:00 am    

1) Has anyone gone BACK from using three fingerpicks to using two, for the ring finger blocking and to simplify choices?;

2) What's the reason(s) people advocate holding your thumb extended way out straight towards the nut? Speed, blocking, etc.? It seems to put an awkward twist to my wrist.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2003 8:19 am    

Nothing is right or wrong. The proof is in the execution. You'll see a wide variation in right hand (and even left hand) position among the truly accomplished players.

In general, physics should win out. Striking the note at roughly a 90 degree angle is a guideline, as is minimizing hand motion. I'd recommend learning both palm and pickblocking and learn when each technique works best for you. Thumb angle varies all over the map if you watch the best players. There are no rules -- only guidelines.

Whatever you do, however you do it, be your own harshest critic. Try different things. Use a metronome and start slow. If you can get a fast lick up to concert tempo cleanly and it sounds like you want it to sound, then you're there. If you can't you'll need to examine your fingering and/or technique to determine why you can't pull it off at the desired tempo.

There are no right answers, only what sounds good and works well. If you need technique lessons, look to Joe Wright and Jeff Newman -- two very different approaches, but two excellent players. Joe advocates and uses three finger + thumb and Jeff uses two fingerpicks. Emmons uses two picks and seems to play fast lines effortlessly. It can be done in many ways. I've always found three picks awkward myself, but often wish I could pick that four note chord without resorting to smoke and mirrors.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 02 July 2003 at 09:24 AM.]

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2003 8:25 am    

Two finger picks were used for decades by the popular and famous.

WHY? would one go to three (3)?

Just curious.......... If it works, do it!

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2003 10:20 pm    

It is starting to seem to me that using three is a little better for one particular type of four note chord or roll, but for extended licks, using two fingerpicks (with a thumbpick) reduces by 25% the amount of confusion over which pick to use next to hit the next note. Crossing over with the thumb to hit a fourth note is easier than crossing over to hit a fifth one. Plus blocking is easier with a naked ring finger hanging around. Buddy Emmons, Paul Franklin and Doug Jernigan certainly don't seem to be slowed down by their lack of a third pick.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2003 6:43 am    

Last I heard, Paul Franklin uses three fingerpicks - at least for C6.
FWIW

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2003 7:46 am    

I used 3 and then switched to 2 picks to make sure I got my tone together (Ala Charleton). After a year or so I put the 3rd pick back on with no problems.

Bob