The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  EH Holy Grail Nano
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2014 1:30 pm    

What a great bandstand reverb unit. Small. Simple to use. No frills. One knob. Turn it up or turn it down.

I've used other, more expensive, reverb units over the years. It's nice to have all those extra knobs to tweak; but, to my ears, all those fine adjustments get washed out on the bandstand, playing in a loud band.

I like having one knob. Slow song, turn it up. Fast song, turn it down. Or, if you don't want to turn a knob, set it on SPRING for fast songs and flip the switch to HALL for slow songs.

I like the KISS Principle:

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Lee, from South Texas

Chuck Blake

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2014 3:32 pm    

I agree Lee. I bought one for my Walker SS rack (I removed the TC Electronic M350 processor) and one for my MB 200 unit, light weight and simple.

Great reverb unit.
Very Happy

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2014 3:40 pm    

Glad to read this. I'm looking for something small and good and I always seem to end up upselling myself into bells and whistles (I swear that a reverb HAS TO have 3 knobs!)
This should help me get over it and just do this thing. I have an old, larger original Grail that has some power supply noise issues.
I tried a couple of units that I ended up returning because they just didn't sound good. Features don't mean squat if the basic sound isn't good.

Mike Bowles

Princeton, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2014 5:46 pm     holy grail

just got one a few minute ago easy to use even made my tele sound good with my nv1000 havent tried it with my fenders yet

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2014 5:58 pm    

Do you find that it changes the tone a little? I have a regular Holy Grail and I love the reverb but it weakens the signal...attack and tone, and has some noticeable white noise. Maybe the Nano is improved?

Chuck Blake

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2014 6:47 pm    

Dave
Mine had "0" white noise and "0" tonal change unless you go past 12 o'clock on the gain knob ( not sure if "gain knob" is the correct name).

Past 12 o'clock is not to my liking...

other than that, I love both of my HG Nano's no matter which amp I play it with.

Chuck

Chuck Blake

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2014 6:48 pm    

Dave
Mine had "0" white noise and "0" tonal change unless you go past 12 o'clock on the gain knob ( not sure if "gain knob" is the correct name).

Past 12 o'clock is not to my liking...

other than that, I love both of my HG Nano's no matter which amp I play it with.

Chuck

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2014 7:08 pm    

Thanks Chuck!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2014 7:48 am    

Dave, it has a buffer built in, that to my ears is a great sounding buffer that drops the Z and kinda gives it more of a single coil bite.
I have said before that the Grail's buffer sounds better than any other buffer than the Izzy or the Black Box.
But it DOES change things.

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 10:02 am    

My local music store recommended the Holy Grail over others - will have to get to Boston again soon once the streets start to look like 2 way with on street parking again (haha). Some gigs I might be using a GK head with Epifani speaker box, and would like a reverb. I'd like to try out a Strymon or Wet Reverb, but not try out the bank, if you know what I mean..

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Chuck Blake

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 10:45 am    

Carl as noted above I use my HG Nano with my MB200 and my Walker Stereo Steel.

I own 3 of the HG Nano Revers and 3 of the MB 200 amps.....I use them for various configurations. Including bass ans steel.

My Walker stays home as a studio setup.

I like them. MTCW

Chuck

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 7:35 pm    

Another vote for a good piece of gear.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2015 9:03 am    

Kenny Grohman was in the studio yesterday and he tracked steel with a Nano. Sounded great! There was a bit of noise in the signal but we didn't take the time to track it down as it wasn't a deal breaker. Could have been the Nano but not sure....

I have a TC Hall Of Fame Mini that I like. You can customize your sound with their editor app. I currently have the spring algo in mine that I tweaked a bit. What's pertinent to this discussion is that the TC has "analog dry thru" so your straight steel signal is passed thru the unit unaffected, with no AD-DA convesion taking place. You can also use it in a parallel effects loop by using the "kill dry" function.

Unfortunately all of these capablities of the pedal are addressable only through the sofware editor, but it's easy to use and you pretty much can "set and forget".

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2015 7:57 pm    

Jon Light wrote:
Glad to read this. I'm looking for something small and good and I always seem to end up upselling myself into bells and whistles (I swear that a reverb HAS TO have 3 knobs!)
This should help me get over it and just do this thing. I have an old, larger original Grail that has some power supply noise issues.
I tried a couple of units that I ended up returning because they just didn't sound good. Features don't mean squat if the basic sound isn't good.

Try a Wet Reverb ! Smile

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 8:23 am    

On the Holy Grail, you add reverb to the dry signal until 12 o'clock, then you start decreasing the dry signal after 12 o'clock until all you have is the reverb return - all washy, no natural attack.

The Holy Grail is a great unit, IMO.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2018 6:29 pm     Re: EH Holy Grail Nano

Lee Baucum wrote:
What a great bandstand reverb unit. Small. Simple to use. No frills. One knob. Turn it up or turn it down.

I've used other, more expensive, reverb units over the years. It's nice to have all those extra knobs to tweak; but, to my ears, all those fine adjustments get washed out on the bandstand, playing in a loud band.

I like having one knob. Slow song, turn it up. Fast song, turn it down. Or, if you don't want to turn a knob, set it on SPRING for fast songs and flip the switch to HALL for slow songs.

I like the KISS Principle:

Keep It Simple, Stupid

I leave the knob set at around 9:00 or 10:00 o'clock.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2018 3:23 am     Psg

MXR reverb pedal & BOSS DD3 digital delay pedal w/gb200 & gb500 power amps. Cabs by Tommy Huff.