The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud Crossover
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 5:23 am    

There's a nice looking Bud Crossover on e-bay for what looks like a very reasonable price. I'm wondering how well the crossover mechanism actually works? Appreciate any feedback from those of you who have experience with this PSG. Gracias!

------------------
Tim Whitlock
'58 Fender 1000, '56 Fender Stringmaster, '65 Twin Reissue

Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 7:54 am    

It Mine,just finished redoing it. Needs a little more Polising on the end plates and pedal bar to be a 100%,But plays and sounds great.

Daniel

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier
Mullens D-10 8/7,GFI D-10 8/5 ,Tubefex, Peavey Sessions 400,Peavey 212 Transtube,Nasville 1000,Peavey 400 Limited.

Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 7:58 am    

Hi Dan!

Is that the crossover I sold you? I'd be curious to see pics of it!

I've heard people say that the crossover mechanism itself is likely to come free, and leave you hooked up to nothing, but I categorically did not have that problem. At the time, I had bought another guitar, which was a bit lighter, and which was a more typical setup... and the Bud need to be given some restoration and TLC; which I am not experienced enough to provide.

Mechanically it was perfectly sound, all the metal was in good fundamental shape, everything played in tune, and stayed true. If it's restored to its potential, I think it'd be a good axe to have.

Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 8:13 am    

Yes Nick .It took 2 And 1/2 months of hard work.All cracks are repaired,everthing cleaned & Lubed. Redid all the electronics . the only thing that saved this guitar form being junk or parted out was the fact that the rack & barrel system was in excellent condition,as was the crossover mechanism.Also had to put 2 new Sho Bud fretboards.However tried to repair the cracked necks used the worst glue they could possibly find. Done right now and will never crack there again.
Take Care all .Will get some pics out ASAP

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier
Mullens D-10 8/7,GFI D-10 8/5 ,Tubefex, Peavey Sessions 400,Peavey 212 Transtube,Nasville 1000,Peavey 400 Limited.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 9:31 am    

If properly set up, a ShoBud Crossover will work well. You have to remember not to throw the crossover lever with pedals down, though. That can cause a serious malfunction.

The design has other limitations. It's hard to tune a string that has both a single raise and a double raise, because they both use the same rod. The mechanism is noisy, and the manufacturing tolerences are pretty loose.

I played one for about a year. I wasn't real impressed with the tone, but I'm not a huge Sho-Bud fan anyway. Some players can make them sound really good.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax

Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 9:43 am    

Hey Dan, again!

I saw the pics on ebay, it sure does look nice... I remember thinking something along those lines when I bought it, as it was when you got it. It played alright, and the mechanism seemed pretty well preserved. While I didn't know about the problems that people have had with the rack and barrel system, particularly problems with the crossover mechanism itself... it just meant I didn't realize my luck until later.

Glad you got it back to life... seems like it should give someone a more than fair share of pleasure and service... the inlay in particular cleaned up really nice! Three cheers I hope you were satisfied with it meeting the description I gave... I tried to be as straight up as possible about what was wrong and right respectively.

Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2003 11:31 am    

Guitar has found a new home. Thanks to all

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier