The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Installing New Strings
Terry McBurney

Houston, TX
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2003 6:44 am    

As a beginner, what is the key to doing a good job replacing strings?

S10 3/4

Thank you.

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2003 7:31 am    

Always remove the old string before attempting to install a new one. ...just kidding Terry.

You should lower the tension on all of the old strings, cut them about center, and remove all of the ball end pieces. Loop all of the pieces together (much like a new string), so the pieces don't get scattered around. Remove those pieces on the key posts with a string winder and loop them together.

Inspect and clean-up any grooves in the rolling bridge.

Cut the new string about 3 & 1/2" past the key post.I don't use a string winder for installing, because I like to guide the string onto the key post as precisely as possible with my finger.

I usually install the first string, then the last one, and work toward the center.

Rick

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2003 7:39 am    

..I usually also take the opportunity to remove the roller nuts and axle to clean them up and re-lube them at the same time...

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2003 8:08 am    

There's a good tutorial courtesy of the Carter steel guitar co. here: http://www.steelguitarinfo.com/strings/changeslideshow/scindex.html

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2003 4:53 pm    

Thanks David
That was helpful.

Terry McBurney

Houston, TX
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2003 8:47 am    

Thanks to each of you for your help.

Greatly appreciated.

Les Pierce

Shreveport, LA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2003 8:34 pm    

That Carter tutorial had a few things different from the way I have always changed strings:

I was always told to put a bend in the wound strings before you cut them off to prevent them from coming unwound. With todays strings is that no longer an issue?

Also, I put one loop to the outside of the hole, and the rest to inside. If you do more than one, when you cross over, the string could possibly cut itself in two. Once again, this could left over from the dark ages of stringdom.

I play a single neck Dekley, and boy is it tight on strings 1 and 10. Anybody know of an easy way to get those strings started? When I got it, the strings were wound under, backwards of the usual way. There was no way I could get my hands in there to do that.

Take care,

Les

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2003 9:31 pm    

Les, I always cut, bend, and install two strings at a time, starting from the outside in. In other words, I pull 1 and 10 from their packages, hold the ball ends together over the changer and measure 1 1/2 to 2 tunings keys longer than the key I'll be installing on. I then cut both strings at the same time and put a 90 degree bend about 1/2" from the end. By starting with the 1st and 10th string, I have no problem starting them on my Dekley.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2003 3:15 am    

Do remove the roller bridge ,clean it and lube it and do polish each changer bridge with Semi Chrome or something like it.

It's a good idea to also inspect and clean the key tuners as well, Make sure you have no binding key tuners. The Key head area could use a good cleaning too..

Many folks lube the changer completely at this time as well.

tp