The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  One more thing (playing barefoot)
Eric Myers

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2003 6:16 am    

Thanks for all the insight on the picks thread, I need all the "interchange" with other players I can get until Scott Henderson gets back to me! (hint hint)
Anyway another approach I am using while learning that just seems right to me but i suspect is a little "suspect" is - I have to play barefoot! Working around the pedals seems so much easier when I can really "feel" them - plus I am big and tall and I just fit easier under the guitar without anything on the feet. I use my foot almost like a monkeys, clutching pedals with my toes and heels etc - it all feels so vibrant, wheras when I play with shoes its like theres a wall there and I am "best guessing" where my feet are at any time! Not sure if theres a question in all this - any other barefooters out there? heheh
Cheers
Eric

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2003 6:51 am    

Humm: No picks, no shoes, have you ever tried playing naked? Just kidding, whatever turns your crank is ok with me!!

nick allen

France
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2003 7:02 am    

Someone on the Forum, and I *think* it's Dan Tyack, plays in socks only...
(on his feet, that is... )

[This message was edited by nick allen on 20 June 2003 at 08:03 AM.]

Eric Myers

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2003 7:21 am    

Humm: No picks, no shoes, have you ever tried playing naked? Just kidding, whatever turns your crank is ok with me!!

and I play sometimes so hunched over my cheeks are almost on the strings! hahah I'm sure the Posture Police will come knocking on my door any minute to repossess my steel.......

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2003 8:38 am    

For years I was unable to play in my socks or bare feet - this was a draw-back, as I'm fairly scantily-clad around the house (casual callers - you've been warned!), and I'd have to don shoes and socks just to practise!

I've made a point of getting past this - now, I'm pleased to say, I'm just as comfortable with or without....

RR

Eric Myers

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2003 8:44 am    

and I play sometimes so hunched over my cheeks are almost on the strings! hahah I'm sure the Posture Police will come knocking on my door any minute to repossess my steel.......

The cheeks on my face - in case you were wondering..........................

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2003 9:08 am    

Quote:
I use my foot almost like a monkeys, clutching pedals with my toes and heels

..well, yeah, I was wondering..if you mash the pedals with your heels, then maybe you play behind your back..

..your profile didn't show what you do for a living..I was wondering if you climb poles for the phone company?.. It's been a long time since I was in Waynesville...July through October of 1972..it was HOT..

..btw, I bought my 5-year-old daughter a half-size 6 string, but she doesn't take much of an interest in it..it's the steel that she likes to play at, too..

[This message was edited by Pat Burns on 20 June 2003 at 10:11 AM.]

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2003 11:46 am    

Pat, why don't you buy one of those thing-a-ma-jigs that raises the nut on your daughter's 1/2 size 6 string so she could play it with a bar. That would be really cute!
Eric, thanks for clearing up the item about the "cheeks", you had me worried for a while!!
Erv

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2003 11:50 am    

...how do I make one of those lightbulbs that go off over my head...Erv, that's a great idea! I'm going to try it out and I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks!!!...

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2003 1:06 pm    

No picks and no shoes could get you identified as a real Missouri hillbilly! All you need now is the overalls and some tobacco juice on your chin and you can be a full growed hillbilly. Works for me.

Eric Myers

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 8:55 am    

hey! I resemble - I mwean resent - that remark......heheh

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 9:18 am    

Eric, could you be a bit more descriptive in your topic titles? Thanks.

------------------
               Bobby Lee
-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
-System Administrator

Michael Brewer

Carrollton, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 11:27 am    

Eric,

When I got my first pedal steel (a Fender 1000) in 1960, I had the same problem with my feet. I felt like I was guessing most of the time. My solution was to take off my shoes. I have been playing that way since. I get some snickers from the crowd sometimes and I just laugh with them. So, don't feel like you are alone in this. Just make sure there are no holes in your socks.

------------------
Mike Brewer

John Cox

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 11:47 am    

I have to kick mine off after a wihle cause hitting that darn "A" peadal only is a chore
after so long. I abslutly hate boots and the only comfortable shoe is my old Rockports
(and they look like hell) so whatever works wroks.

J.C.
CarterSD103&5

Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 12:41 pm    

I practice a lot barefoot. The upside that I find is that it's a lot easier to pick out where my foot is in the forest of pedals. The problem with it that I have is that is a lot harder to consistently roll onto the pedals, and it takes concentration to get two of them to squeeze down in unison. The final thing that has made me shift over generally to playing with shoes is that I find a wedge of heel makes me not get what feel like shinsplints from practicing. I used to feel a strain from having to flex my feet so much further up. The heel makes it more comfortable. Take all this with plenty 'o salt, I hardly could be said to know what is right, I just know how I've felt about it. I usually do it in my dress shoes from work, oddly enough.

Eric Myers

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 1:35 pm    

Eric, could you be a bit more descriptive in your topic titles? Thanks
I dont know, I'm always a little embarrased by the low-browsiness of my posts!

Leslie Ehrlich

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 10:12 pm    

If I'm performing and I switch to steel, I take off my left shoe. When I switch back to guitar, I put the shoe back on.

Matt Brydges

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2003 11:27 pm    

I play in sock feet only too. My shoes are too big to hit single pedals easily, even on an old push pull (size 21 4-5E). It also allows me to fit under the steel without raising it up too far as I'm rather tall also. I find the feeling of the pedals is much easier to read for me in sock feet, and it's much easier to half pedal etc. I've tried shoes a couple times with very little success - I can hit 3 pedals easily with one foot straight on, and 4 with it bent just a little. I use a Day setup too, so even hitting the A pedal by itself is very tough for me while wearing shoes. It's good to know I'm not alone!

Matt

Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 6:15 am    

Two very accomplished friends of mine play in sock feet and I won't mention their names but their initials are Keith Hilton and Steve Matlock. Stevie is the closest thing to Emmons on "Houston" I've ever heard !!! (Coarse Buddy showed it to him)

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2003 8:47 am    

I play in soft soled moccasins. They have all the advantagees of playing barefoot, but provide enough cushion aganst the pedals to make it comfortable.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2003 4:54 am    

You could combine Dan Tyack's and that guy from the Red Hot Chili Peppers onstage uniforms and wear THREE socks....

Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2003 2:04 pm    

I went over to Seattle Friday Night and listened to Dan Tyack play. He does play bare footed. Ouch...it hurts my feet to do that. He sounded great. Very tastfull and fit real nice in the rock/funk/blues band he was playing in. Nice guy too.

BTW..I tried playing in my boxers but the levers are way too cold on my legs. I can only imagine the ramifications of playing naked. There are alot of moving parts under there!

Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2003 2:54 pm    

Hey Eric,
Scott Henderson here playing barefoot what ever trips your number twelves!!!!I am also a tall boy you light think about buying extensions for you steel..it raises the front up a bit so you can get under it....no biggy though I heard Kieth Hilton used to play in his socks a real rockum sockum player!!!hahaha e-mail man we'll figure something out us big smith wearin, tobbacco chewin, barefoot steel playin hillbillies got to stick together....
see ya hahahahaha

------------------
Steelin' away in the ozarks and life,
Scott
www.scottyhenderson.com

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2003 9:41 pm    

In the summer I play barefoot....if I want to get formal I play with socks on. My daughter gave me some toe socks which I wear if it's really formal.

Don't try this if you play a PP or other guitar. My Franklin's action is 'like budda'

------------------
www.tyack.com

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2003 4:27 am    

Eric, I play with my socks on,like you I'm tall and can't get under my guitar with shoes on.
My dad was stationed in Ft. Leonardwood in 1955,I went to high school in Waynesville,played basketball which was the big thing there,are the rivals still Crocker?
Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona