The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Band in a box for Mac computers
Mark Thomas

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2014 4:46 pm    

Is there anyone out there that has a list of songs for the Mac version of BIAB that like to share? Most posted seem to be for windows? Like to hear back from any pickers who could help

Thanks Mark Thomas

marknangus@optusnet.com.au

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 4:21 pm    

Mark, I don't believe BIAB files are platform-specific; any BIAB file should open and play in any version of BIAB, PC or Mac. The programs themselves always seem to have major or minor differences.

I upgraded to Mac BIAB 2014, and the user interface has been improved quite a bit, i's more "Mac-like", buttons have been more intelligently grouped. It wasn't a cheap upgrade, but worth it for the improved usability.

Also btw, when you upgrade, I strongly advise just paying top dollar for the upgrade that includes the USB drive, I went the cheap route downloading everything, what a nightmare, got things all fouled up, so I paid the piper and got the drive, all is well now.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 9:43 pm    

John is correct. The songs will work on either PC or Mac versions. I use Mac for everything in my studio except BIAB. I've tried the Mac versions and as recent as the 2014, but I returned it. While it was improved over prior Mac versions, it still doesn't have some of the features that I use that are in the PC version. For example: the PC version will start a new line when you change substyles. Mac won't do this and when you have a song with an extra bar here and there it can get really confusing. Also, the style picker is not as user friendly to me. I just keep a PC in the studio and run my BIAB on that. When I get a song finished I transfer the MIDI or Wav (dry) files to a thumb drive and stick it in the Mac then open it in my DAW (Studio One) and I've got a track for each instrument and I can edit, mix, as needed, and add all the other instruments and vocals.

Computers are so cheap nowadays. You don't need much computer to run BIAB. I use Toshiba laptop that I got at Best Buy for $239. Don't think you will sound better if you buy an expensive computer to run BIAB on. It doesn't work that way. Rather, output the computer into a decent stereo amp/speaker system.

RC

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 10:45 pm    

Good info, Rick. What exactly don't you like about the Mac style picker in Mac BIAB 2014?

It may be more hassle than moving a thumb drive around, but you apparently can do file sharing between your PC and Mac:
http://etc.usf.edu/techease/mac/files-sharing/how-do-i-share-files-between-macs-and-pcs-over-a-network/

I really have a love/hate relationship with BIAB, and sometimes it chronically craps out or misbehaves, costing me hours of work. It's pretty amazing what it can do, especially now with RealTracks, but it's not very polished or consistently dependable.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 11:56 pm    

John, I think you're right on that about the file sharing. You can do it with Dropbox too, but I chose the lazy way. I got two USB extension cables and routed the female ends to a easily reachable place on my desk. This way I don't have to get out of my chair and bend down to move the thumb drives around. I can do the whole transfer sitting still in just a few seconds. As for the style picker. I find that it doesn't pickup the user styles that I've created and that I can't edit the styles and make hybrid styles the same way I can in the PC version. I don't remember all the issues, but I know just wasn't happy with it.

I know what you mean about the love/hate relationship with BIAB, but I've not found anything that's any better for my own use. I'm not much into loops. I do use EZ Drummer and EZ Keys, and I often use them in combination with BIAB. For example: I create a song in BIAB and save it as a MIDI file, and then use EZ Drummer to play the MIDI drums. This way I can control the different drum parts, kick, snare, rim shot, etc... individually, and even edit them as needed. Same for bass. BIAB plays some really crazy bass lines sometimes. More often that not, I just over dubb the bass, but I can edit the MIDI bass within BIAB or the DAW if needed.

Real Tracks are great if you can find what you want, but you're pretty much stuck with them as is. If you want horns, strings, etc.... I guess it's good....... certainly better than the cheesy midi strings, etc... I never use them. All I want are basic rhythm tracks and I play the fiddles, guitars, and steel the old fashion way. I did use a RT cello on a guy's demo song and he thinks it's great. It's just fills and it did really good on that.

It's just a hobby for me. I enjoy the learning curve, even though it gets frustrating for me sometimes.

RC