The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pickup choice for new Williams
Ray Rasmussen

Santa Rosa, CA,
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2003 5:23 pm    

I have just ordered a new Williams SD10 but have yet to decide what pickup to go with. I'm curious about the single coils that Bill Rudolf makes for these guitars. I would appreciate anyone who has these pickups to describe thier tonal characteristics.

Ideally, I want a pickup that has some bite and a full rounded tone. I tend to like the tone of Sho-Buds over Emmons. b0b demonstrated Lawrence 710, 10-1, and LXR16's for me, and I tended to like the 10-1 and LXR16 sound more than the 710. Any comparison of Bill's single coils to these pickups would be real helpful.

Ray Rasmussen

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2003 6:02 pm    

Ray, I have Bill's single coils, wound to 20,000 ohms DC resistance. I couldn't be happier. Very little hum unless you leave your foot pedal wide open. Now this is my opinion only: Humbucker pickups to my ear (not scientific evaluation) seem to shave a little off the highs and also the lows, Making more of a mid range sound, not to my liking. Maybe only to the engineer's liking. I did have one of Bills single coils wound to 17.5 K, and it seemed to be a little thin. More Emmons like sound. I too prefer the Sho-Bud sound over the Emmons. I can get real close to the Sho-Bud sound with these pickups. If you decide on the Single coil, ask Bill to put at least 19000 K on and I think you'll be happy. Hope this helps you in your decision. And congrats on buying a great guitar. Did you get the Mica or Lacquer finish?

Steve Benzian

Burlingame, CA USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2003 8:54 pm    

I have the single coils....sound is excellent. Not sure what the ohms rating is. Have not tried other pickups with the guitar. Bill advised me to get the single coils. No regrets. Don't notice any hum.

Ray Rasmussen

Santa Rosa, CA,
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 8:12 am    

Jim Bob, Thanks for the reply. It will be birdseye maple with clear lacquer.

Ray Rasmussen

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 11:00 am    

I'm a fan of warmer and less biting tone, and I'm thrilled with the sound of the Jerry Wallace Truetone pickups I just put in my Carter. I had an E-66 and 10-1 in it, and the Truetones were approx. 17.5 and 18.3 K. Very nice full tone, fat and warm, yet still crystal clear in the highs and detailed in the lows. IU have a lengthy post on the whole experience on here somewhere...

------------------
C'mon by and visit!- www.markvanallen.com

My Band: www.sugarlandmusic.com

Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 11:09 am    

By all means, get ahold of Jerry Wallace and at least have a conversation with him. They're the best,,,,bar none.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

Paul Brainard

Portland OR
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2003 12:52 pm    

I had a Williams D-10 and I have to say that Bill's single coils are among the best sounding pickups around. I now have a set of Jerry Wallace's on my Fessenden and they are very similar - although I'll tell you I just bought a Williams pickup off someone on the forum and I'm going to put it on my C neck because I loved the tone I had there on my Williams. . .I had 17.5K windings, which I recommend. . .But certainly if you're a fan of Shobud tone I'd say go single-coil. I would go with Bill's pickups, since he's the builder (both he & Jerry are really great guys and I know you'll be very happy with their parts!)

[This message was edited by Paul Brainard on 23 March 2003 at 12:57 PM.]

Raymond Beale

Rosenberg, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2003 12:04 pm    

I'm very satisfied with my Williams U12 with the Williams pick-up. I also have a MSA S12 that started with the original pick-up that I pulled out and installed a E-66. It helped but was still lacking (this is a laquer finish guitar, not mica) sooo, I had Mr Rudolph build me a pickup (single coil) that made the MSA talk. It's not quite as bright as my Williams, but thats the difference in the guitars.

------------------
"STEELIN' IN STYLE"
Williams S-12, MSA S-12,
Vegas 400, Evans amp, POD lINE 6. Hilton Digital vol.
Ray Beale Rosenberg,Tx

Ray Rasmussen

Santa Rosa, CA,
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2003 5:22 pm    

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to this post. I still haven't decided, but I'm leaning towards letting Bill put in one of his pickups. Aint this forum great?

Ray Rasmussen

LARRY COLE

LANCASTER, OHIO, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2003 5:55 pm    

My Willy S12U came with Bills standard pickup and it sounds great.

------------------
Playing For JESUS,LC. WILLIAMS U12, SHO-BUD PRO1,CARVIN TL60

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2003 3:26 am    

I went to the Carter websight and listened to the sound comparison of the pickups and finally chose the Lawrence 710's for mine.I am sure whatever you chose you will be as happy with your Williams Guitar as I am with mine. They are a great guitar.