The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why do you play a double neck versus universal?
rhcarden

Lampe,Mo / USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2003 9:27 am    

I beleive that when you play The E-9th tuning you are also playing the B-6th. Most players have a knee lever that lowers the E's to D# and another that lowers the D to C#. With that said, the only thing left is a couple bass strings. I have 7 lnee levers on the E-9th and 4 on the C-6th. There is no way for me, to be me, on a single neck guitar. If I were starting over, knowing what I know now today, I would still want two necks. The number of strings might be changed.

------------------
Bob Carden 66 Emmons P/P 8/9
BMI 13 string 7/7

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2003 8:49 pm    

My S-12 Sierra Session started out as a D-12/10 (it had a 10-string back neck). When I removed the back neck, I picked up a couple cents of cabinet drop. My conclusion is that the added tension of a second neck makes a guitar more stable.

Since the pickup slot loads from the front, I have been able to compare 12 and 10 string pickups with all other variables removed. I have found that 10 string pickups sound a little bit "tighter" than 12 string pickups. They have better definition and string separation. The difference isn't great, by any measure, but you can feel it when you play.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax