The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Conway Community Days I hated them worse last year
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 10:57 pm    

Well it went a little better this year. At least Bo got his Steel guitar stuff on the stage in one pile before they started hollering are you ready.

The guys have their guitars strapped on before the preceding band gets through and they just jump up on the stage plug in and look at Bo like what’s the hold up.

So Bo says a few words I can’t repeat here while he's trying to get the PSG and amp set up.
Of course he doesn't have time to retune or check the pedals and levers to see if they are even close to being in tune.

I wonder if everyone out there thinks you can just run up on the stage, plop down your PSG and start picking?

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 12:09 am    

The worst of it is immediately under these conditions have to play an intro not knowing if a sound is going to come out of the amp much less coming out in tune with tone you can tolerate.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 2:22 am    

Didn't they know, from last year? Steel set up can be compared to drums. I suppose set-up time takes almost as long.

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 4:58 am    

Oh I was never good at being rushed. If the band I was with tried to rush me, I'd tell them to go ahead and start without me if they were in such a rush. Oh Well

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 7:55 am    

Throw-and-go gigs are always a ball of fun, no? Especially as is often the case, the last band has over-run their set time and your band is eager to play for as long as allowed... I try to have my rig maintained and ready to assemble as quickly as possible, but tuning and making sure everything is functioning are of course imperative.

Making sure all of your band members are comfortable, settled and ready to play is just another form of the respect we should be showing each other. In the best of worlds, anyway.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 8:07 am    

As bad as getting onstage at these type gigs is getting off, especially when they have a bunch of clueless amateur "stagehands" to "help" you. Good luck finding all your cords, effects, etc. But occasionally there is an upside. Once I found I had two extra Boss tuners in my gear.

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 1:45 pm    

Next time set up slower. Make 'em wait. Go slower. Thats what I do when someone is tailgating me.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 3:15 pm    

Well imagine all that stress on a person who for several years has been struggling with memory problems following an illness and has pretty much had to start over on the PSG.
At the 2013 at Community Day under the same circumstances a person I know was totally out of it and even after 3 songs into it could not get his equipment hooked up properly and started playing crashed and burned on PSG and switched over and barely got by on guitar for the rest of the songs.
But he keeps signing up for these butt kicking’s. I think it motivates him.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 3:21 pm    

Pardon me if I don’t go with an excuse and in particular that excuse. Besides who cares!

I did fine and Terry Wood played just before I did so they knew what a PSG was and how it sounded when a good player played so the fate of the PSG world was not on my shoulders.

I never was that great a player that to forget a lot of it would be a problem and almost starting over was more than likely a good thing.

At times doing something like playing “Your Cheating Heart” as the solo in “Cowboy Rides Away” because I forgot in the middle of the song what song we were playing can be very entertaining.
I might start a whole new fad and my path to the Hall of Fame. Laughing

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2014 3:26 pm    

To all of you - I feel your pain. After many years of this kind of punishment, I stopped doing it and retired. Oh Well

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 1:53 pm    

Hey, At least you had a band to pick with and was on stage. Wish I was so lucky, J.R.

Bob Poole

Myrtle Beach SC, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 4:53 pm     Throw n Go Gigs

Played a throw n go also, today:The Aynor Hoedown...i always feel like I've left something behind.played it last year.they don't like to have the same bands two years in a row but this was #2 for us & the put us down for next year.this was the first gig for the Carter/Magnum & I was really pleased with it.took it out of the case & it was still pretty much spot on Ss far as tuning.very pleased with it.and yes,there is nothing like having five minutes to set up.