The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  George Hamilton IV has passed away.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 5:14 pm    

So sorry to have to pass this awfully sad news on to all who had the pleasure of knowing him.

George died earlier today.

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 5:16 pm    

Sad news, indeed. Condolences to his family; may he rest in peace.

Billy and Meriul Easton

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 5:18 pm    

After his heart attack last Saturday George had been in the St Thomas Midtown Hospital in Nashville, TN. His condition remained critical until his death this afternoon.

My sincere condolences to Tink and all his family.

I'm going to miss my friend.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 5:49 pm    

Sorry to hear that Roger, I have fond memories of George, I got to play many shows and TV gigs with George back in the 80's when he was a regular visitor to NZ .... very sad news

RIP
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 6:21 pm    

I am deeply saddened by this news. I only met George once. That was in 1977 when my wife and I were in Nashville and went to a pub where he was performing. Once he knew we were from Canada, George came and sat with us at every break and carried on a pleasant conversation with us. I will never forget his easy-going and friendly manner. 'I felt as if I had known him all my life' is a term I could truly apply to George. I also respect George for his true love for Canadian song writers and artists.Gordon Lightfoot comes to mind.

May you rest in peace my friend.
My sincere condolences to his family.

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 8:56 pm    

I'm surprised bOb let you put George Hamilton IV on the Steel Guitar Forum Gone Home site since Mr. Hamilton didn't play steel guitar, and it seems Mr. b0b is very adamant about people being put on the Forum who aren't steel guitar players. IV was a great guy. Got to meet him once through his fraternity Kappa Alpha when he played the old Ozark Jubilee. Such a gentle soul, and I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. May he liven up the Heavenly band.

Guy Laine

Finland
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 2:09 am    

So sorry to hear about George!
We had the opportunity to do a radio program, several shows and a mini-tour with him in Finland back in the 70:ies.
And he in return made it possible for us to visit Nashville and play there, and even let us perform at the Grand Ole Opry!
A very nice person. Condolences to his family and may he rest in peace!

Country Express, Finland

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 2:11 am    

The BBC just announced this news. I had the pleasure of playing steel with George quite a few times in the UK in the 1970's, and found him to be a quiet, modest and gentle man, very knowledgeable in the history of American country music.

Along with Slim Whitman and Box Car Willie, George was incredibly popular in the UK in the '70's, and a few opening bars of Early Morning Rain or Abiline were guaranteed to produce tumultuous applause. He loved some of the British folk songs, particularly Ralph McTell's Streets Of London. He also loved touring around the UK and sometimes visiting small village churches.

RIP George, and condolences to his family and close friends.

Edited for spelling.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Last edited by Ken Byng on 21 Sep 2014 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 2:29 am    

Very sad news. I did two Florida tours with George. He was great Christian person and a very appreciative boss.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 3:05 am    

Although I never met Mr. Hamilton, he always seemed to be the kind of person that everyone is describing....appreciative, quiet and a gentle man of faith. I surely enjoyed his music. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. May he rest in peace.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 5:20 am    

I have many happy memories of doing this show during the 1990s - many provincial tours and a run at the Whitehall Theatre in London's West End.

George with Sandy Kelly ('Patsy') and I'm playing the black Esquire I bought from Andy Reiss.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 6:16 am    

Like the hat Rog. Is that Mr Goodacre behind you? Very Happy
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Danny Hammers

Danny & Patricia of Floral City, Florida formerly of Fairdale KY.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 6:40 am    

Thanks Roger, this is sad news. Our prayers are with Tink and the whole family.
We have known them for some time, first meeting in our church and been with them at R.O.P.E. but my
fondest memory was the 4 of us, me and Patricia, going to Cracker Barrel with him and Tink to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary in Greenville, AL . Miss you.

Danny and Patricia
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 8:47 am    

Actually no, Ken - that's one of the actor/musicians from the show. I'd have name-checked everyone except that I couldn't recall his surname (there is a similarity, I agree). His name was Bo-something - a nice chap originally from Canada. The bass guitarist is Ian Stronach and the upright playuer is Sean Gerachty (sp.?)

Yes, Danny - sad news indeed. Susie and I have shared a dinner table with George and Tink here in the US, and I lost count of the Indian meals the whole cast of 'Patsy Cline: A Musical Tribute' enjoyed together.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 12:00 pm    

This saddens me. I never met him personally, but I got to see him perform in Birmingham on one of his British tours. I was very eager to watch him perform on British TV, which he seemed to be on a lot. It was always good to see him, and he usually had a smile on his face, no matter how much his fans pestered him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSaJpOTzO9g
In view of his subsequent passing, it makes the above video with his son very moving.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 6:20 pm    

I really hated to hear of his passing. I enjoyed hearing him on the opry.

andy sainio

espoo,finland
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 4:21 am    

As an honourable member of Country Express I was lucky to share some of those moments Guy Laine mentioned earlier. We also had the pleasure of him visiting our home three times while in here. He sure liked our "Finnish country cooking" like he said...
It goes without saying,Arja and I will miss him deeply and he for sure was "the International Ambassador of country music".

Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 9:25 am    

So sad...George was my best man at Laneys' and my wedding in Blackpool, England in 1979...our honeymoon was at a bed and breakfast at the Lake District and when I went to pay my bill for three nights (800.00) I was told that it had been taken care of, compliments of George Hamilton 1V...that's the kind of man he was...he will be missed.

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2014 8:53 pm    

Russ, that is very impressive. I have always heard that George was always a very kind man. Thanks for sharing.

Mike Fereday

Newbury, Berkshire, England
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 8:19 am    

Gee Russ. I know you told me about Blackpool but didn't realise George IV was part of the ceremony. Mike

Bill Paisley

Athens, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2014 10:42 am     George song

I remember a song that he use to do on shows. I don't know the correct name of it, but it had the phrase " gonna find a country road with grassy fields on either side " It is my favorite by him, but was never able to find it on any album. He was a great person and will be missed. Bill Paisley

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 7:50 pm    

Waiting for my dad to get drunk enough to drive us home, I remember stickin' my tiny little head in-between the juke box speakers, grabbin' on, totally mesmerized by the guitars, awesome intro sound on "Abilene". Surely one of the reasons I started playing guitar shortly after that.
Always liked him.
Hope to play Abilene with him someday up there. Ron

Dale Tenney

San Marcos, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2014 10:44 am    

I got to meet George in 2003? when I picked him up at the airport. He was singing at our church, and I couldn't believe I was in the car for a 45 minute drive, with an Opry star I saw as a kid, at the Ryman in the 1970's. He treated me like he had known me for years, and as I drove, George told stories, and adjusted my wife's car radio. He also had a Saturn and when he was done, it did sound a lot better. When George meet the band, he asked right away, who wanted to take a break in the songs. A very nice man.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2014 8:05 am    

I really enjoyed his "soft" style a lot. My favorite recording of George's was the Gordon Lightfoot classic "Canadian Railroad Trilogy".... George really nailed that one... RIP GH IV.....JH in Va.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2014 10:30 am    

Godspeed Sir George.

We never met but we will meet again.

Condolences to the family and all those who knew him personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSaJpOTzO9g