The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  *** WOOD NECKs - Inlayed Frets & Markers!! ***
Ann Fabian

Mesquite, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2003 10:02 am    

Carter Steel Guitars proudly announces our new wood neck option on our Custom Shoppe models:

More info, photos, and quote information on this option and other Custom Shoppe offerings.

This wood neck Carter and a few other surprises from the Carter Custom Shoppe will be at the Dallas Jamboree in 2 weeks, as well as the NEW Peavey Nashville 112 amplifier at special pricing (we will take orders for this new amp at the Show and will ship them soon as available).

Ann Fabian
Carter Steel Guitars
www.SteelGuitar.com
www.SteelGuitarINFO.com
www.OnLineSteelers.com

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2003 8:57 pm    

A purty looking guitar. What will the D10 wooden guitar with a wooden neck weigh, compared to the D10 Mica standard.?...al

Ann Fabian

Mesquite, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2003 5:43 am    

Same weight ~ give or take a couple of ounces.

Gino Iorfida

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2003 5:49 am    

The look of the all-wood Carter, really shows Bud's input in the design of the old MSA Classic's Hey, I'm a sucker for a good lookin piece of maple! Looks very cool, and I REALLY like the idea that the fretboard is actually an inlay as opposed to silkscreened like the old MSA's are--- makes future repairs if the lacquer does ever become damaged MUCH easier.
Glad to see that the TrueTone pickups are being offered as well!

One question, though, are ya'll using nitrocellulose lacquer, acryilc lacquer or polyurethane finishes?

Post  Posted 24 Feb 2003 9:39 am    

Yowsuh! That's beautiful! Very nice treatment on the neck, the whole instrument just yells "play me". But, c'mon -- $50 just to get a quote? I'm going into the quote business.

[This message was edited by Stephen O'Brien on 24 February 2003 at 09:43 AM.]

Ann Fabian

Mesquite, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2003 10:09 am    

Price list for many items offered by the Custom Shoppe is linked from this page.

And can be found here specifically.

quote:
Custom Shoppe quotes for custom inlays, woods, and other engineering beyond the options listed on the price list cost $50.00 (non-refundable, payable in advance, good for 180 days, approximately 6 months).

The quote fee will be applied to your Custom Shoppe or Carter Pro model order if placed within 180 days (approximately 6 months).

The quote fee is for engineering time, drawings, etc. we would need to do to price out things such as crosses as fret markers on wood necks or an inlayed eagle on a front apron. Or even the extremely remote possibility of doing a keyless configuration.

Ann Fabian
Carter Steel Guitars
www.steelguitar.com

[This message was edited by Ann Fabian on 25 February 2003 at 07:09 AM.]

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2003 10:42 am    

yeah, what's up wit dat $50 quote t'ing?

ooops aparently Anne and I were posting at the same time

[This message was edited by Dave Van Allen on 25 February 2003 at 06:35 AM.]

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2003 11:07 am    

Man, that's a nice looking guitar. Mark Giles sure builds incredible bodies... I finally played one of his acoustic guitars last year, and it was pretty awesome, too.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2003 11:41 am    

Hey guys, give'm a break. It takes a lot of work to give a quote. First ya gotta find a pencil...

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 8:47 am    

And it's not your standard yellow #2 pencil either, Jimbeaux... it's a flame maple or curly maple pencil... your choice... with gold plated eraser flange and "Papermate #2 Custom" inlaid with abalone.

Seriously, I had a good talk with John F. the other day, and these new Carters and the new Fessies look like the bar has again been raised for the custom builders cabinet-wise. The Carters are using the old wood hauled out of the Great Lakes, and it's very pretty and very expensive to acquire. Also, designing and making custom artwork is a very time consuming task, as opposed to just slapping a decal or a pre-screened fretboard on a guitar.

Definitely kudos should be delivered to Mark Giles.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 10:34 am    

Herb, I understand that these things can be configured many different ways and that there can be costs involved in pricing those details out, but don't you think it would be nice to have a ballpark of what you'd be looking at? Have you heard of any other builder require a non-refundable deposit for a price quote?

I think it makes sense to have a standard configuration (say D10, maple body and necks, 8&5) and have a price. If there are any special requests beyond that, then maybe (maybe) there's a justification for a non-refundable deposit.

Maybe there are a some people willing to pay $50 just to find out how much a steel will cost them, I'm not one of them. Makes you wonder if they really want to sell these these things.

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 10:35 am    

This guitar is beautiful, In my opinion. Wish I could see, feel, smell,play and hear it! I'm for it. I don't really understand the business end of ordering one either Stephen, but then again, I know nothing about the business world.
Bobbe,

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 25 February 2003 at 10:39 AM.]

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 10:43 am    

The bottom line is, time is money and they have to get paid for their time.
I think the paid quote is more than fair.
If you bought a Carter guitar on spec, no quote required, would you like to see part of the price you paid going in to cover the time they put into making up a quote for some other guy that never bought one? No, I don't think so.
"User pays" is always fair.
-John

Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 11:01 am    

How many people on the forum would accept calls from somebody who looked up your name in the whois database? b0b, would you?

Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 11:04 am    

OK, so tell me if I got this right. The price is $4495.00 for a standard configuration but anything custom requires a quote, is that right? I must have missed that bit this morning.

Ann Fabian

Mesquite, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 11:08 am    

Mr. O'Brien's request for a "ballpark price above" is actually answered on our Web Site.

There IS pricing for the LE models and CUSTOM Shoppe OPTIONS given here:

http://www.steelguitar.com/customshoppe/csglepricing.html

Mr. O'Brien and all others wishing to know a ballpark price for our Custom Shoppe may feel free to browse there if they wish.

The ONLY time we can foresee that you would need to pay for a quote is if we have to go out and create drawings or get estimates or put in engineering time of any kind to create some totally customized vision that a customer is creating in his/her mind.

We believe this is extremely reasonable and we are confident from the feedback we are getting that a serious purchaser committed to having his Carter LE or regular PRO model with Custom options HIS/HER way, will not have a problem with this.

Hope that helps!

Ann Fabian
Carter Steel Guitars
www.SteelGuitar.com
www.SteelGuitarINFO.com
www.OnLineSteelers.com

[This message was edited by Ann Fabian on 25 February 2003 at 11:16 AM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 11:09 am    

Actually Stephen, I was just making my little stab at humor with the first paragraph; and with the second, informing all concerned that these guitars are more expensive to produce than the standard-run Carter. I too feel that the cost of figuring the price on one should be part of the actual price paid for the instrument, which it is, since the fee applies to the purchase price.

The non-refundable quote fee is probably to discourage "tire-kickers," and having sold instruments here, there are a lot of them puppies on the forum. Serious purchasers will have no problem with the fee, since it's part of the price they're gonna pay, regardless.

John and Ann run a good business, bottom line, IMHO.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 11:25 am    

Herb, you are right. When I looked at the Carter web page this morning, I didn't see the standard price that they set for a D10. I must have missed it. And if somebody wants something that is truly custom, then they should be willing to pay for the effort it takes to do the work.

To all others reading this thread, please do not lookup my telephone number in the whois database to call me. The whois database is not a personal telephone book and mis-using it that way is really rude. If you want to reach me, my email address is available.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 11:29 am    

I don't understand the huge price difference between the link in Anne's first post and the link in her last one. The first Custom Shoppe link says:
quote:
Wood necks with inlayed frets and fret markers made of ebony and abalone
Polish package (knee levers and pedals)
Quilted maple front apron with flame maple top decks

Price: $ 4495.00

Since the pictures are of a D-10 and the description says "necks", I assume this is the price for a D-10.

The second page says the price of a D-10 LE is $4895.00, but there are extra charges on top of that of $500 per neck for wooden necks with inlayed frets and fret markers. Apparently polished knee levers and pedals are included, but that brings the price up to $5895.00, which is a difference of $1400 for what seems to be the same guitar!!

Ann Fabian

Mesquite, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 12:07 pm    

The Carter pictured here is NOT an LE model.

The guitar pictured above is our Standard PRO model Carter ~ prices are here for our Standard PRO models.

So our Standard PRO model Carter with a clear lacquer option would be $3,495 with metal necks.

The guitar pictured above has no other LE options, such as Timeless Timbers Old Growth wood and so on.

The Carter pictured above does have one unique feature which is the new LE logo made with abalone letters inlaid in ebony.

Unlike LE's, the logo is not embedded in the apron ... it is tastefully attached to the apron, as shown.

Custom Wood Necks can be added to our standard PRO model lacquer-finished Carters or to our LE models, whichever you choose, Gym Smith

We'll have BOTH an LE model and the above Standard PRO lacquer model (with its inlayed wood necks) at the Texas Show.

Hope that helps!

Ann Fabian
Carter Steel Guitars
www.SteelGuitar.com

[This message was edited by Ann Fabian on 25 February 2003 at 12:12 PM.]

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 4:26 pm    

I'm gettin' so confused, I think I'll just stick with a Carter Starter...

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 4:32 pm    

Thanks for the clarification Ann and sorry for misspelling your name.

Ann Fabian

Mesquite, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2003 7:27 am    

[This message was edited by Ann Fabian on 04 March 2003 at 09:56 AM.]

Ann Fabian

Mesquite, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2003 9:57 am    

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2003 9:45 am    

Where will the pick-up selector switch be in these guitars? Would sure hate to have to dig around on a neck like that to change one.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele