The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My new Bullet Bars - YEEHA!!
Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2003 10:16 am    

Ok, having said that there are other bars other than Bullet Bars that folks here will consider the best, just like steels & other accessories, this post is NOT to pursuade you to change your mind, only that I feel this needs to be shared on SGF.
I received my 2 new bars, a 7/8" & a 15/16" recently. The one thing that keeps me going back to Bullet Bars is that Jim can cut custom LENGTHS for you, as mine are a little longer than a standard 10 st. bar but not quite a 12. Fits my hand better, works for me. Then I received a note from Jim stating that I would like these bars better if not as well as my other bars because of a "micro-grain stainless" material he apparently is now using. So upon 1st glance I immediately thought they were chrome. Then I started using the 7/8"; WOW! Smooth, tunes predictable & beautifully, & responsive. So, me happy to say the least. Then I move to the 15/16" as I just decided to get it just to have it as I have a 1" but am not crazy about the tone. So I start knocking around with the 15/16". Yikes! It sounds GORGEOUS! Yeah, it's fuller, but NO noticable loss of high end, & I have no problems adjusting to the two bars. So it's not just better & best, I have two different sound expressions without compensation between the two bars.
So what you'd consider the best will be the best, but I'm saying that considering the PRICE, & the quality of craftsmanship, & that you can have custom lengths, YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF to have at least one of these new Bullet Bars in your arsenal of bars.
Thank you, Jim. Way to rip! http://www.bulletbars.com/

Larry Chung

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2003 7:31 pm    

I also want to recommend Bullet Bars for the same reason - I have a custom ordered 11-string bar that Jim had shipped to me within a few days. It plays great, very smooth, and, although it definitely has a different tone and feel than "those other bars" out there, I like it just as much.

And it's an incredible value for the money - Jim, so many thanks!
lc

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2003 7:33 am    

For those who have used both the Bullet and BJS, can you compare their tone, wear resistance (I already know about BJS ) and other features (e.g., the shape, esp of the Bullet)?

TIA

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2003 9:09 am    

I'm only saying check out the NEW Bullet Bar, Larry.

Eugene Cole

near Washington Grove, MD, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2003 10:21 am    

I have tried several bars and have the following opinions.

The Jim Burden bars from http://www.bulletbars.com are my favorite bars. They are built to order for a fair price. They are durable, smooth, polished, and for me provide great tone.
--> My only complaint about the Burden bars is that they are so good I can't blame the bar for my mistakes.

The BJ's bars are OK but VERY EXPEN$IVE. I often see them advertised for more than $30 (not including shipping). A good bar at a non-competive price.

I have an old Emmons bar that is stamped "Emmons" on the end. I do not know who really made it, what the alloy is, or what plating has been applied to it. But it has been a great bar and I have no reason to want to replace it.

I have tried a few Jim Dunlop metal bars over the years. I still own one of them but it is my least favorite bar for PSG. They too are OK but seem to me to be slightly soft in their temper/alloy.

The "Stevens Steels" which I used for DoBro seem to wear quickily. But they produce good tone on the DoBro.

The Shubb/Pearse bars are an enhanced version of the "Stevens Steel" that are very nice. I prefer them to the Stevens Steel for DoBro playing.

The Oahu bars that I have owned tended to wear a bit faster than the Stevens bars but they have a distinct bluesy sort of tone that is pretty cool for doing that kind of music. The Oahu bars respond well to being polished on the surfaces that become worn.

In short for PSG the Burden bars are the only bars that I recommend.

------------------
Regards
-- Eugene@FJ45.com

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2003 11:03 am    

Thanx, Eugene.
As I tried to say in my original post, others will have their favorite, & I well know that BJS is a big seller.
As for ME, I've tried a BJS, & yep, that is one fine bar. But in comparision, I really didn't find any advantage over the BJS to my George L's heavy in regard to tone, durability, tuning, etc. & the George L's was cheaper. So to ME, I have just as good of a bar from the George L's for less $$.
So having been there, I tried my 1st 2 Bullet Bars & was immediately hooked as not only did they outperform my George L's bar, the custom LENGTH made me a believer, let alone the PRICE. Then I decided to get another default 7/8" & try a 15/16". That's when to ME, that a great product became incredible!
Well, the shape works for me, my old Bullet Bars beat out the above mentioned bars in tone to my ears, & my old Bullet Bars are tough showing little to no wear. But Jim has even improved on that. Therefore, my excitement.
So, for quality & price, I don't see why anyone shouldn't have at least one of these great bars packed with their default bar.
Yes, they're THAT good.
Happy trails to all.

[This message was edited by Rex Thomas on 03 March 2003 at 06:08 PM.]

Byron Walcher

Ketchum, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2003 11:12 am    

I just got a custom length 7/8 bar in the mail today for use on lap steel, beautifully made, great price, outstanding service.
Thanks Jim,
Byron

------------------
Lashley Legrande D10 8x7,Emmons Legrande 8x7, Sierra Lap-Top, Webb Amps

Jack Francis

Queen Creek, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2003 8:58 pm    

I LUV 'EM!