The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NGD Vintage
Jim Graham

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2020 11:05 am    

Just got this in from an
ebay auction. Got a great price, was the only bidder. It's a 1940's Oahu, that apparently were made by Magnatone according to my internet research. It's in playable condition as is, originally had a horseshoe pickup(included in case) that had failed some time ago and was replaced with a tele pickup, which sounds pretty good! Original case as well, both guitar and case are well worn but well worth the price.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2020 11:05 pm    

Looks like fun. Could also be a fun project. Congratulations
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Bob Womack

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2020 2:41 am    

Congrats! My first steel back in the '70s was a similar Magnatone with volume only.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (My Little Website)

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2020 3:43 am     Re: NGD Vintage

Jim Graham wrote:
originally had a horseshoe pickup(included in case)

Any chance you could post a picture of that pickup?

Typically a "horseshoe pickup" means there's a pair of magnets that go around the strings, which this steel never had. Some early steels had a horseshoe magnet that was entirely concealed in the body; I'm not too familiar with these Dickerson-built models but I'd be surprised if they could fit a horseshoe in there.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2020 7:56 am     Re: NGD Vintage

Noah Miller wrote:
Jim Graham wrote:
originally had a horseshoe pickup(included in case)

Any chance you could post a picture of that pickup?

Typically a "horseshoe pickup" means there's a pair of magnets that go around the strings, which this steel never had. Some early steels had a horseshoe magnet that was entirely concealed in the body; I'm not too familiar with these Dickerson-built models but I'd be surprised if they could fit a horseshoe in there.

I am curious about the horseshoe pickup as well. I don't recall ever seeing a horseshoe on any of these Dickerson MOTS lap steels, but who knows, maybe there was some evolution in the early versions? Most of the ones I've seen had a pickup installed underneath the MOTS covering. These pickups sounded pretty good but were very bright. I imagine a Tele pickup would sound pretty good and likely an improvement over the stock pickup.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2020 8:36 am     Re: NGD Vintage

Noah Miller wrote:
Some early steels had a horseshoe magnet that was entirely concealed in the body; I'm not too familiar with these Dickerson-built models but I'd be surprised if they could fit a horseshoe in there.

I have a Dickerson that is this same body style. It originally had a horseshoe that was concealed by the MOTS. The previous owner had kind of hacked away at the plastic to get to it so I made a cover to go over the damage and installed a fake strat pickup. If I knew what box I put that horseshoe in I'd take a picture of it. Confused The way the bridge is at the very bottom of the guitar makes this a really short body for a 22.5" scale. Great for travel. Nice score Jim!

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2020 3:47 am    

Sometimes its cool to get them when the pickup is dead or changed out already, it gives you freedom to experiment. Im not one to chop up old stock instruments but ive got two that have Duncan Lil '59s in them that flat git it, its a great steel pickup imo.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2020 4:11 am    

I like that two tone look Bill. 1950's automobile inspired.

Jim Graham

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2020 3:10 am    

This is the pick up it came with. I'm not sure if the lone wire is the ground or not, or if there's any way to reconnect whatever wire is missing. Apparently this was an optional version of the horse shoe pick up and more internet research showed a picture of one with the coil sitting on top of the horse shoe as shown here. They are magnetically drawn together. I don't know anything about how to restore it or if it's even possible.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2020 3:18 am    

You could stash it till you find somebody to fix it and fit something else for now. Duncan makes a antiquity lap steel pickup based on a Fender Champion that would probably be killer in that.

Jim Graham

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2020 4:58 am    

Actually the tele neck pick up the seller installed sounds great. I'm going to leave it as is until I find out more about what's involved.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2020 10:07 am    

Ah...that clears up the mystery. When you said horseshoe pickup I immediately thought of the iconic Rickenbacker horseshoe. I had a similar pickup as yours in an old Niomi branded MOTS lap steel. I eventually replaced it with a P90 with good results.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2020 7:15 am    

It looks like the top bobbin piece would need to be replaced but the pickup should be able to be rewound.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100