The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Pitman Audio "Octal 70" Hybrid guitar amp
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Pitman Audio "Octal 70" Hybrid guitar amp
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2014 5:19 pm    

Hey come by my booth to review the Octal 70 Hybrid Steel guitar amp.
It's the culmation of steel guitar amp ideas I've had as a player for the past 30 yearss.
If for no other reason come by and pick up a 'Pitman Audio" beer cuzie.
Picsa to follow.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2014 8:00 pm    

Looking forward to seeing this amp!!

B

Jim Pitman

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2014 2:39 am    

Looking forward to meeting you and checking out your products, Brad.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2014 3:09 pm    

Got any pics and/or specs?

Jim Pitman

Post  Posted 3 Sep 2014 5:50 pm    

John,
Check out this post:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=270589

There's a link in there to some photos.
Came away from the convention with a couple of ideas - will add a spring reverb and increase the sensitivity for those older lap steel pickups.
I think I'm 8 weeks out for this version as I will add a reverb mix control to the front panel - new chassis.
I use outboard effects and haven't used spring reverb forever but I admit it does make for a quick setup/demo and it doesn't add very much to the cost - (just adds some development cost and delays product release)
PM me if you are interested in one w/out reverb.

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2014 1:27 pm     Octal

Hey you guys have a great product, I heard it, looked at it and its one sweet sounding muic maker...a very cool amp...
https://www.facebook.com/Pearlprocase

Jerry Fessenden

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 3:31 am     Pitman amp

I liked the amp too... I hooked up the Benado steel dream and tried it out at my booth . Later Sharen Denney felt comfortable enough to play her set with both the Octal & the Benado ... she played well and had a great sound.

Kevin Raymer

Chalybeate, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 4:57 am    

Jim,

I dropped by your booth and you and Brad were in deep conversation.

I feared my 25 year old EET degree might not be up to the challenge so I didn't interrupt or attempt to join in.

Looking at the drop box pictures it appears there may be two different types of tubes in use.

What tubes are you using ??

I also don't immediately see the power amp section.

Are you using FETs or standard transistors ??

Sorry if I missed it but what's the power rating of this amp ??

Just curious.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 8:52 am    

Jim Pitman wrote:

I use outboard effects and haven't used spring reverb forever but I admit it does make for a quick setup

Yes, quick setup can be important whether it is a saloon, or a TV show where you have 120 seconds to set up.
So, efx in the amp, after the first stage(s) of amplification, is a very good thing.
But a lot of us don't like spring reverb. Just a delay sounds better. The best solution I know looks ugly, but I don't know a better option if time is tight and you want to sound good. Put the efx unit in the back of the amp and use gray tape to hold it there. Leave the cables getting the signal in and out of the efx loop in the back of the amp and use gray tape to hold them there. Put a AC extension cord with at least two receptacles in the back of the amp and use gray tape to hold it there. Put the efx unit's xformer or switching PS in the back of the amp and use gray tape to hold it there. Plug the amp and PS into the extension cord and use gray tape to hold them there.

How much simpler it could be if the delay were built into the amp!

Jerry Fessenden

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2014 11:21 am     Pitman amp

Well now Doug, you have caused a run on "rock & roll" tape ! But, we do use it a lot .... JF

Jim Pitman

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 10:37 am    

Roger. It had two 6SN7s and one 6SL7. The 6SL7 is a higher gain version of the 6SN7. I put 1/2 6SL7 up front and the other half recovered the effects return.
At the convention I learned there are some older lap steels that need more sensitivity, ie, higher gain, so I have since changed to all 6SL7. Bonus - lost some micro-phonics to boot and am really happy with how that change came out. (Tx Brad)
Yes, the power section is solid state, complimentary pair, darlington BJTs. There is also a pair of transistors to limit current and protect the output pair that normally never kick in - just for abuse like shorted speaker.
All the signal gain in the amp is accomplished with tubes though. The BJT's just adapt the tubes to the speaker impedance by supplying more current. I call this the "Solid State Tube Buffer". The solid state save's weight and has cleaner bass response due to a better damping factor than the typical tube output transformer.

Jim

Jim Pitman

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 11:01 am    

Yes Doug, lotso tape necessary. On the other hand, choice of effects is kinda personal.
I did some TV work in the late 90s. I constructed an insert cord by sleaving together two George_L cords with a Panduit product. I joined the two amp end right angle jacks with piece of aluminum so it could be plugged in quickly. This sped up plugging in my outboard effects considerably.
I thought about adding an "electronic" reverb on board but all the modules I've looked at require quite a bit of addition support circuitry and mess with your dry signal which I consider a no-no. I'm investigating adding a traditional spring reverb tank at the moment. I'll keep the effects insert and its' Series/Parallel switch too. Hoping this addresses the quick setup yet doesn't preclude using your favorite external effects. The purists seem to favor spring reverb too.
Another solution would be to add a 1U 19" rack slot to the amp. However, I'm enjoying how compact this amp is at its' current 18" by 18"size.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 11:45 am    

Jim Pitman wrote:

I thought about adding an "electronic" reverb on board but all the modules I've looked at require quite a bit of addition support circuitry and mess with your dry signal which I consider a no-no. I'm investigating adding a traditional spring reverb tank at the moment. I'll keep the effects insert and its' Series/Parallel switch too. Hoping this addresses the quick setup yet doesn't preclude using your favorite external effects. The purists seem to favor spring reverb too.
Another solution would be to add a 1U 19" rack slot to the amp. However, I'm enjoying how compact this amp is at its' current 18" by 18"size.

I think you made the sensible decisions. Keep it simple. There is an efx loop for those who need it.

Kevin Raymer

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2014 3:32 pm    

I know of at least two pro players who disconnects the on board reverb I lieu of an effects pedal reverb.

On board springs may make for a quick setup, but IMHO they are not a necessity..

Jim Pitman

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2014 8:51 am    

Kevin,
Forgot to include in my reply - The amp puts out 70Watts RMS.
Jim

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 4:35 pm     Octal

Wtih the Proliferation of Pedals I would think theres a good Pedal reverb out there, very simple to use and set...I use the M-ONE XL by TC electronics its a bit expensive but has these beautiful luush reverbs/dealys /effects....but the Pedal market has to have something thats simple....I hear Sharons set and that Octal was Impressive, I even turned off the House PA for a few seconds and it filled the room and sounded great....NICE PRODUCT...
https://www.facebook.com/Pearlprocase

Kevin Raymer

Post  Posted 9 Sep 2014 7:06 pm    

The digitech hardwired reverb pedal is sweet and can be had under $100