The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zum Stage One 3&4
Leonard G. Robertson

Ozark, Mo. USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2003 9:35 pm    

I recently sold my student model Zum (after 2 yrs.), and purchased a very popular 2002 S-10 pro model. I placed them beside each other to test with the same amp and volume pedal. I found no difference in the feel of pedals or knee levers, tone, and have since experienced same string breakage and ability to stay in tune. I won't mention the pro name for fear of mud-slinging. I am not at all dissappointed with it, because it is sturdier constructed and plays very well. My intent is only to brag on the student Zum, in case a beginner can't afford the pro.

Ole Dantoft

Copenhagen, Denmark
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2003 8:32 am    

Leonard,
My first steel was a Stage One too, though mine was the older 3&3 version. I had it 1½ years and only twice did I have to reach for the nylon tuners to tweak a pull and it stayed in tune extremely well.

I never took it out of the house and I regret that I didn't have a proper steel amp to try it through then - I would have liked to hear how it really sounded, but either way, it was a fantastic beginner steel - the best I've seen.

Ole

Tony Orth

Evansville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2003 10:02 am    

Leonard,

I would agree with that advice to a beginner. I've got a Zum Stage One that I bought used from a forumite about a year ago. I added a fourth knee lever about two months ago. While it doesn't have the beefy construction of my Emmons LGII, it is a quality instrument that plays easily and stays in tune with itself.

As for tone, it's really not too bad. Not as meaty as my Emmons, or quite as sweet, but I'd play it at a gig if I needed to. I'd just need to turn up the bass a little and let her go.

Bruce Zumsteg has been a wealth of information and will support his products to the nth degree.

Tony Orth