The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  S-10 Universal, anybody?
Hans Holzherr

Münchenbuchsee, Switzerland
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 1:54 pm    

I play a 12-string Universal E9/B6. It is the second U-12 guitar I have owned, and in between the two I have played what I call a 10-string Universal (still have it) because for a time I was really taken with the idea to squeeze out the maximum of an S-10. Like my current U-12 the S-10 Universal has 6/5 pedals/levers and is a U-12 minus strings 11 and 12. The E to D change on the 8th string is on a knee lever. I have found that removing the D on the 9th string expands the possibilities of an S-10 E9 immensely, and sometimes I wonder that it hasn’t become the 10-string single-neck standard. As mentioned, I switched back to a 12-string guitar, but I am really curious if there are any players who play a U-10 as described above. I know by now that some folks swear by the D on the 9th string – but what benefit does it have other than the 9th chord with the lower root in it?

Ad Kersten

Beek en Donk, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 2:04 pm    

Hans,

There are several players in The Netherlands who play a DeVis S-10 Universal, made by Jan Visser. His website: http://www.promotamusic.com/Index.htm
I am sure some will respond to this thread.

Ad

------------------
Zumsteel S12U

Yo, Man! homepage

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 5:27 pm    

Hans, I often use the 9th string D as the root of a chord. With the G# raised to A, it gives me a D6 chord. Raising the B to C# changes it to a Dmaj7. This is a very C6-like change.

I also lower my D to C# to get a C#m7. A lot of modern country licks use the bottom 5 strings with extensive use of the D to C# change. It's an essential string for fast scale work on the low strings, in my opinion.

When I played a single 10 (many years ago), I tuned the whole guitar down a step and then lowered the 10th string a step (A to G) on my "C" pedal to get adequate range. I didn't have the C6 changes, though. It's tough trying to get everything out of a single 10-string neck.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6), Roland Handsonic, Line6 Variax (coming soon)

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 6:43 pm    

Quote:
I know by now that some folks swear by the D on the 9th string – but what benefit does it have other than the 9th chord with the lower root in it?

One way to learn about how useful that 9th string D is to the E9 tuning is to play any melodic or chordal phrases that you know that start on the 8st and play the same thing starting on the 9th st. While you are working on playing a familiar phrase in a new way notice the changed functions of you levers and pedals. For example your A pedal is now a 6th rising to a mag 7th and you B pedal is now a sharp 4 raising to a perfect 5th.

Also I would look at traditional non-pedal E13 tunings. There is a wealth of music that is just waiting there for E9 pedalsteel players to discover.

The E9 tuning is already a great "universal" tuning if you spend some time looking into its less obvious features. That 9th string is a very big part of the harmonic flexibility of the standard E9 set up.

Bob

Hans Holzherr

Münchenbuchsee, Switzerland
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2003 1:14 pm    

Thank you guys, that will keep me busy for a while... Ad, I didn't know I could read Dutch (and understand enough)!! :^) Hans

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2003 5:34 am    

I use the S-10, standard E9 tuning with the E lower lever engaged, as a B6 open chord quite a lot.
In this position:
strings 10, 8, 7, 6, 5 and 4 are exactly like strings 7, 6, 5, 4, 3 and 2 on the C6.
So this gives us 6 out of 10 strings the same on either neck.
What would be the next logical, or most useful string to change on an S-10 to move closer to getting more of a C6 on it?
(not changing the E9 tuning)

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2003 9:59 am    

Tony:

The "no pedals" position on strings 10, 9, 7, 6, 5, 4, 1 is the same as pedal 6 on the C6th, lowered half a step. U-12 players lower their 8th string E to D for this position.

From your B6 position (E's lowered), lowering the 7th string F# to F will give you the equivalent of pedal 5 on the C6. It changes the B6 chord to a C#9 (rootless - the root is in the lower octave on the C6 tuning).

For many years I raised the 6th string G# a full step to A#. From the B6 position, this is similar to the C6 pedal 4. It forms a Bmaj7 chord.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6), Roland Handsonic

Alexander Zaalberg

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2003 7:31 am    

Pedal-Pro Universal
playing the universal pedal steel guitar
http://www.pedalprouniversal.com

In case you can not read enough of the Dutch language (the promota site is in dutch), the DeVis 10 string universal is discribed in our website. It's all in english. It might give you some information.

Good luck in your search for 10 string universal

to Email us:

alexander-zaalberg@planet.nl

Alexander Zaalberg
webmaster
Pedal-Pro Universal