The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hillman Powder Coated Tone Bars
Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2020 3:26 pm    

We ran a few of these in various sizes- if they are exposed to very bright light, they emit a fairly healthy glow for about 30 minutes. After that they are just an attractive white bar. They do show up really well under a black light.
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2020 8:47 am     Recoating old powder coated bars,

Just a reminder- we love to give old powder coated bars new life! For $15 per bar I’ll take an old bar (or bars) and swap you for a new one- Send to me at 2825 So. Malibu Rd, Boise, ID 83705, and shoot me an email at vmhillman66@gmail.com to give me a heads up along with any special instructions. Thanks!! Michael
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.

Last edited by Michael Hillman on 15 Sep 2021 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Roy Thomas

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2020 2:04 pm     powder coat?

how long will the powder hold up? string friction would be murder on the finish i would assume. i do a lot of powder coating of various things and it def isn't a sure thing for wear.
just curious. Question

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2020 2:12 pm     Hello Roy,

Hello Roy, the life of a powder coated bar seems to vary widely with the players. String composition and left hand pressure/technique seem to be the main factors. Some players are getting years of use, some just months. We make them available at a reasonable price, and recoat them at cost for the players that do like the feel, looks and tone of a coated bar. Thanks! Michael

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2020 6:58 am     Powder coated bars- sound??

A couple of Forum Members asked me recently "what does a powder coated bar sound like?"

Here's a quick cell phone video of my pal Terry Niendorf using a black powder coated bar at one of our recent jam sessions - list of sizes available and prices appear at the top of page 24 on this thread. Questions - inquiries, email is vmhillman66@gmail.com. Stay safe and healthy, all!

https://youtu.be/uEBcd_CkgAY

Francisco Castillo

Easter Island, Chile
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2020 8:17 am    

Thanks !!!!

after months of waiting.... and tons of emails to the shipping company (eshopex.com)... i got them.
They were lost in Chilean cyberspace for some time due to COVID restrictions, Lockdowns, etc.

Now, my white powder coated bar is my favorite bar.

Thanks again from Easter Island

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2020 7:13 pm     Thanks Francisco-

Wow - I don’t believe in the 6 years that we’ve been sending out powder coated bars to all corners of the world that anyone’s had to wait that long. Pleased that you finally have them! Michael

Michael Greer

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2020 2:42 am    

Michael

I purchased my coated bars back in the beginning and they are still going strong ....so at least 5 or 6 years of good service for a bedroom picker.

Enjoyed the video posted above of some friends jamming to demonstrate your bars.

The fellow on bass guitar was rockin just like he did as a teenager......

Stay safe my friend and thanks for the terrific bars you provide at a great price

Mike

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2020 8:15 am     Hello Michael!

Hello, Michael, great to hear from you- and thanks for the kind words. One of the highlights of the Dallas Show each year is the opportunity to visit with you. Hope to see you there in March, and, hopefully things will slowly return to normal by then. Stay safe and well up there! Michael

Tommy Martin Young

Sacramento-California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2020 10:47 am     My Hillman Glow in the Dark Tone Bars!

Michael Hillman wrote:
Hey Tommy, At first I thought your inquiry amusing, but I found that there is a glow in the dark powder coating, described to me as off white- not certain how well it performs, but I’d be willing to experiment and do a few different sizes if you want to try one-or two. What length of 3/4” diameter do you favor? I can do 2 3/4”, 3” and 3 1/4” length in that diameter, and of course, all the 7/8” diameter lengths. My powder coater hasn’t done much glow in the dark coating so he couldn’t tell me how long the glow lasts, or if the finish is the same smooth gloss as the colors we have used. Guess you’d leave your bar in the sun or bright light and get it well charged. Let me know your thoughts, Best! Michael Shocked Shocked

Just wanted to say thanks! and tell you how cool these bars are. By day they're incognito white tone bars - but at night they really shine Smile There's a little more than 30 minutes of glow on a few minute "charge". I notice no difference in playability compared to the other 3 Hillman bars I own- which means they're pretty dang perfect! Cheers

"Now is the time for drinking;
now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot."
-Quintus Horatius Flaccus (65-8 B.C.)

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2020 12:22 pm     Thanks Tommy!

Thanks for the post, Tommy, I've meant to contact you and ask how those bars worked out for you. Appreciate the input!

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2020 9:52 am     Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

What a challenging year - we wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy 2021, and sincerely hope for better times ahead!

link to our 2020 video Christmas card https://youtu.be/3Rcce6ucafE

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 5:01 pm     Recoating or exchanges,

Just a reminder, I’ll recoat or exchange old powder coated bars for a new bar of the same size for $15 per bar, that includes postage to US Zips. Exchange is the fastest, as I have to do batches of 20 in one color, so colors in stock constantly change. Send me an email to confirm size and color, and to receive my mailing address. Stay warm and safe ! vmhillman66@gmail.com

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2021 4:50 pm     another happy Hillman steel owner

Hello all,

Several weeks ago I bought a couple of Michael Hillman's powdercoated steels and really like the way they handle and sound on my steel guitar. Easy on the hand and tames the high notes, as someone else noted.

Here's a photo of the steels.

The red steel is one the grooved models, and I named it Red Hill Roger. The white one is a TMY signature Glow In The Dark model. When charged and placed in the dark it looks like a fiery opal, so I named it Opie.

Michael has great customer service, and is very approachable w/ any questions or ideas you have.

Thanks Mike!

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2021 1:36 pm     Thanks Greg !

Thanks Greg - I appreciate your post. It’s Forum members like you that keep our powder coated bar project moving forward. - Michael

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2021 12:24 pm     New color - light teal

Hello All - hope everyone is well in these unusual times… thought I’d mention a new color we’ve done by request—we’ve produced a medium teal bar for sometime, this lighter teal is an attractive color. Still giving new life to old powder coated bars, but it’s now $15 for a recoat or exchange for a new bar, includes priority mailing to US Zips.. and still doing a second bullet style bar for an additional $15 with full price purchase. Glad to answer inquiries or you may request information on colors and sizes or get photos at vmhillman66@gmail.com - thanks! Michael

Steven Portman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2021 6:23 am     PM Sent

I'll take a red AND blue bar, please Very Happy

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2021 8:58 am     Thanks all,

Thanks everyone! Steve, I sent tracking for your bars to your email- you should see them on Monday.

Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 7:17 am     Bars

Thanks for the quick service, Michael. These bars are definitely easier to hold and sound great to boot. I am glad I came across this post!

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 11:39 am    

Do you have any more glow in the dark bars?
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 5:01 pm     Thanks for the inquires

Thanks Gil - I appreciate hearing back from you. I have just a few glow in the dark bars, John, what size would you be interested in?

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 5:19 pm    

3/4" x 2 7/8" and 1” x 3 1/2”
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 5:37 pm     I’ll check my inventory and PM you

Thanks John - I’ll swing by my shop and let you know. M

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 8:25 am     stainless steel sitar bars available -$56.95

These bars are flatted on one side, so that the bar may be flipped over, the flatted side held loosely over the strings, somewhat mimicking the sound of a sitar. Email me for a short demonstration clip vmhillman66@gmail.com Made from grade 316 stainless steel, priced at $56.95, you may add a bullet style powder coated bar for an additional $15.00. These bars are standard 7/8" x 3 3/8".

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 8:50 am     red bar

Hi Michael,
Got my new red "standard" bar today. Looks and feels great. [just like my other 20 or so powder coated bars.] [Different sizes and colors for lap and pedal steel]. Sent a few more bucks to cover the difference in postage. Thanks very much, George