The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Need to change the days for this event....
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Need to change the days for this event....
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 10:57 am    

Most of us working folks don't get Thursday and Friday off of Labor Day weekend....but we do get the following Monday. Wouldn't it make more sense to schedule things starting on a Friday so that the "main" players are on stage Saturday and Sunday? Then folks can head back Sunday night or sometime Monday.

I don't see many people driving/flying to St. Louis right after work Friday night just for one day of performances.

Just my 2¢.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2014 11:08 am    

Joe, that is the way it used to be for many, many years. I think the way it is set up now hurts attendence--just my opinion. Joe your plan is common sense.

Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2014 3:47 am    

The problem was that too many people were leaving Sunday morning... very few folks attended the Sunday performances.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2014 4:34 am    

I don't think you can accommodate everyone whatever the schedule is. But, like Keith, I liked the original better.

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 9:46 am    

For years the show went through Sunday evening til 6PM.
The attendance dropped off on Sunday for a long time until Scotty finally decided to end the show Sat. night.
Strictly a matter of cost versus attendance.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 11:03 am     Sunday

I have to tell ya also buy the time Sunday came around many of us workers, booth folks, players etc WERE TIRED...Its a great event but Fri and Sat nights turned into days for my crew, were up at 8 am and going to bed at 4 am, then getting up on Sunday earlier and it was tough....weve talked about Sunday, and if enough people wanted to attend Im sure it might be added on, anythings possible, IDEAS from everyone are appreciated and should be communicated to Mike, Sandra, Scotty etc...Id love to see it grow back to those days, Sundays were well attended for quite a while, but the last 6-7 years it fell off to nearly just staff, players and few tourists....Please give your ideas and let them know...
https://www.facebook.com/Pearlprocase

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2014 1:24 pm    

Having lived across the state in KC, I've been to all of the conventions between 78 (at the Chase Park Plaza Hotel) and 97. I've been to about every other year since, as I retired and moved to Florida in 96. I try to get back to KC every other year to visit family and try to schedule that around the same time as the ISGC.

Friday evening and Saturday, all day, did seem like the most heavily attended. Sunday's weren't too bad as I knew a lot of guys that stayed for Sunday to hear Emmons again. But, Emmons has retired and the draw apparently is not there anymore.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2014 3:44 am    

The draw for me to attend Sunday was to hear Emmons again. He used to bring his own band and/or a unique set for Saturday evening every year. And, a more casual set for Sunday. The diversity of original styles between the national and international renown players was apparent during the 70's and 80's which held attendance. And, everyone could hear their favorites.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Kevin Raymer

Chalybeate, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2014 7:11 pm    

I don't think Joe was saying "add" Sunday.

I think he was suggesting Friday-Sat-Sun instead of th-fri-sat....

Or so I thought.

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 11:09 am    

Yes, Kevin, that is what I meant.

The wife and I will be attending and look forward to the festivities, lest someone think I am just complaining and not coming Wink

I am curious if there is another HOF inductee besides Joe Wright this year?

Sandra Scott-Wall

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 1:09 pm    

This year's inductees are Joe Wright, Jim Vest and Sonny Garrish.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2014 2:42 pm    

What happened to the bronze Hall of Fame plaques that were mounted on the walls in the Millenium? Will they find a new home at the Marriott?

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 6:14 am    

Thanks, Sandra. Good question just above...will the HOF plaques be on display?

Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 6:57 am    

Don't think so, Joe. I helped remove the plaques from the Millenium which was a major undertaking. That's a lot of weight. They're currently packed in crates and in storage. Hopefully, they'll find a home somewhere down the road.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 1:18 pm    

Sorry, at the risk of hijacking this thread...perhaps the bronze plaques could be displayed on easels, since it is not known where they may end up permanently. At least they can be displayed at the annual show, even if the location changes. They don't necessarily have to be mounted on a wall, although I do understand and know that they are quite heavy.

Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 2:31 pm    

Logistically, I don't think it would be possible, Tony. It took the better part of a day to get them out of the millenium, packed, loaded, and unloaded to storage.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2014 7:11 pm    

Ok, Steve...how about this?
I know they're in storage but if you could unwrap them and photograph each one, then maybe have a wall with nice 8x10 photos of each bronze plaque?
In fact here's your first one, found on google images!
Certainly not too heavy then Wink

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2014 8:55 pm     HOF Plaques

I know Ideas are abounding for the HOF plaques to appear, Ive suggested we build several rolling large walls that the Plaques could be attached to, then rolled into place and shown, then back to storage, but again IDEAS, SUGGESTIONS etc are welcome, Im sure they wont go missing for long, its the cost of assembling some form or portable display and manpower etc...

I understand there quite heavy and whatever we assembled would have to be a very capable cart or rolling transport, I do have Casters capable of supporting that weight, its just a matter of how many per cart, where to display them and such...

Again Im sure this is being considered and planned for, but Im not sure if theyll be at the show this year or not.
https://www.facebook.com/Pearlprocase

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2014 1:05 pm    

From this conversation, I have assumed that I might be one of the few that has toted one of these plaque around.
When Tom Morrell was put in the Hall of Fame, I not only made a round trip to his home and carried his amp, steel, pack seat to ST Louis . . This was the year he was placed in the Hall of Fame so I toted his plaque and instruments back home as he was to fly back.. A minimum of 75# is what it will weigh.

I was trying to leave for Texas early Monday morning, Tom told me not to wake him until noon which put me about five hours late getting home.
For those that knew Tom will not be surprised that Tom and his cronies stayed in the bar until about three o'clock. Finally the manager called Mary, Scotty's wife telling her or Scotty come get them out of the bar. Mary basically told them to call the Cops to get them out that she and Scotty were not there to babysit a bunch of drunks.
Tom became a good friend over the years and did me some great favors during the short time I was president of the TGSA in Dallas.
In a separate Topic I would like to share some Morrell and also some Jimmy Day experiences. This would take a long topic.I am sure others beside me and who probably knew Day and Morrell longer than I have could add some good stories.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2014 1:37 pm    

I look forward to reading your stories, Louie. Or to hearing them in person at this year's ISGC, if you'll be there.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2014 1:49 pm    

Louie, I don't think you understand! To play as good as Tom and his cronies played required massive amounts of "Tuning Fluid".