The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Switchin to Emmons???hummm
Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 7:28 pm    

Just bought an 84 Emmons and am switchin from a 76 dbl2 SHO-BUD. Sure hope I'm not makin a mistake. Just a few days before arrival. Can,t wait to get it. Be here as soon as Mr. Buck Reid gives it the green lite.

David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2003 8:08 pm    

You're definitely NOT making a mistake. I loved all of the Sho-Buds I owned and if I could afford to keep them all, I would still have them, however, I find the Emmons guitars just suit me better.

Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2003 4:52 am    

Yes I too am waiting on a 77 Natural finish
push pull I bought from a gentleman in Florida. Can't wait to try it and will probably give Bobbe and Jeff some work to get
it set up for me.

Kenny Foy

Lynnville, KY, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 5:34 pm    

The Emmons arrived today and WHOA it is Mint. It is every thing Mr Reid described and then some. And Mr. Buck Reid did a fantastic job setting it up for me. And I'd like to THANK him for the effort he put into this project. And speakin of Mr. Reid I happened to hear a cd he cut with a tribute to Mickey Newbury. It's incredible. Mr Reid is a very talented steel player. If that cd is available publicly you mite want to get it for your listening pleasure or collection.David and Chuck you're both rite.

Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 3:55 am    

Kenny I have my 77 and you should see the
birdseye. I need to get it set up but I'm
enjoying playing the guitar and that sound.
Bobbe are you ready to put my set-up on this
Emmons?

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 7:40 pm    

I purchased a brand new EMMONS double-10 in about 1972. Altho' I'd ordered a "sky blue" enamel job, it arrived in a deep greenish w/black taint........sorta looking like an old WWII tatoo on a Marine. This was a great disappointment to me.........I didn't receive what I ordered.
On the other hand I've nearly worn it out and have never had a break down of any sort.
It's been an extremely reliable machine and I've rec'd compliments for years on it's fabulous TONE. My only enhancement is a ProFex II that I got some time in early 1980 as I recall.
You should be very happy with that EMMONS.

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2003 1:32 pm    

Chuck, Bobbe and I are always happy to get an Emmons original to work on. These guitars are not a challenge for me...they are pure pleasure! You've got one of my personal favorite years('77 to '79)...although, I have never worked on an Emmons that didn't end up sounding and working just great.
For a look at what the undercarriage will look like when I'm done, go to 'Buy & Sell' and check out Damir Besic's thread on his '74 that I rebuilt. It took me 2 days(12 hours) to do this guitar, plus an hour and a half to add a vertical that somehow I wasn't told about...lost in the mix. If you just want your guitar tied up for a matter of days instead of weeks or even months....Steel Guitar Nashville is the place to go.