The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Old Emmons restored by Mike Cass
Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 5:35 pm    

I had my old Emmons PP, which was my Dad's, completely restored by Mike including redoing the finish. I can't tell you what a difference it is, both playing, sounding and visually. I've posted pictures here.

Danny

Andy Zahnd

Switzerland
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 8:27 pm    

Hi Danny

your emmons looks great.And must sounding 100000000000000x better.... it's black now!
I'm jealous!!!!!!! Have fun...
Hey... what ever happend with your new axe? Hope to hear from ya soon, Andy

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 9:08 am    

Danny, that sure is a beautiful pedal steel!
Congratulations! Great job, Mike! You will hear from me soon!

Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 9:28 am    

Hi Danny, That guitar looks really nice. I just did a major cleaning and polishing on my Emmons and it plays like new now. The old basket weave finish has to be one of the strangest finishes I have ever seen on a steel guitar. Did your dad order it that way? It must have been a real letdown when you receive a guitar that you've paid big bucks for, and you can't stand how it looks.

Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 10:19 am    

Yeah, he ordered it that way. It looked nice in the catalog (I stll have that old Emmons catalog BTW). I think it would have been better if the top was Black and the aprons had the weave finish. It was a pain to clean as it collected a lot of dust, etc.....

Tommy Minniear

Logansport, Indiana
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 10:24 am    

I believe that Buddy Emmons is pictured with a "basket weave" steel on the cover of the "White Album". Also, I think I recall Mike Jones having one. I always thought they were kinda cool! I like the restoration/rebuild that Mike Cass did, Danny!

------------------
Tommy Minniear
www.ntsga.com

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 12:59 pm    

The basketweave is a cool finish, but really hard to keep clean. It's not smooth like other finishes.

I was told by Jack Strayhorn that they also have to shave the guitar body down to use it. Otherwise it wouldn't fit into the end plates, as the basketweave mica is thicker.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 2:28 pm    

Danny, that's a beautiful 12-string Emmons. I just bought one and would love to see what the underside of yours looks like. Also, what's the copedent? And if it's not too much to ask, how much does Mike Cass, or anyone else charge for the setup adjustment (I don't need refinishing, mine is a nice red formica)?

------------------
Student of the Steel, and cheap instrument connoisseur: customized 1970 Sho-Bud Maverick, Fessy S12U, Emmons S12 E9 P/P, Nashville 400, Fender Squire, Peavey Transtube Supreme into JBL 15", 1968 Gibson J50, '60s Kay arch-top, 7-string Raybro, customized Korean Regal square-neck, roundneck Dobro 90C, 1938 Conn Chu Berry tenor sax, '50s Berg mouthpiece, Hamilton upright piano. You make it, I'll play it (more or less)

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 2:59 pm    

Mike Cass is truly a master mechanic/restorer. When he finishes with a guitar you can eat off it. Its primo.

Danny Naccarato

Burleson, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 3:02 pm    

You can contact him at btmfdr@webtv.net or (615) 781-2538.

You can see my copedent here. The only difference is the C# lower is now on the RKR, which is also lowering the E's....

Danny

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 4:01 pm    

David, Mike did my guitar and the money will be well spent. I can't tell the price on here, but you will be happy you had Mike do it. Trust me. I was in there when he had the Great Pumkin guitar in his shop and the pictures were good but not as good as seeing it live.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele