The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Replacing Switch on a Carter
Kirk P Dighton

Troy Mills, Iowa
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2003 6:32 pm    

My Carter D10 Neck switch just has malfunctioned and I have to replace it. On this particular Carter, the switch is in the side of the E9 neck. This will require removing the fretboard and neck to replace a $5.00 switch. Have any of you ever done this job before and do you have any "don't do or make sure and do" pointers before I begin? This is the first thing I have found in this guitar that I did not like, otherwise I am very happy with it. Thanks.
Kirk Dighton

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2003 3:05 pm    

Kirk... contact John or Bud at Carter, either of them will be glad to give you any short cuts to make the job easier. There may even be something on their web site, it's pretty extensive.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2003 11:52 am    

Here are two short cuts:
1) Cut the switch wires from the underside of the guitar. Strip the insulation off 1/2 inch from the end of the loose wires and let them hang low under the guitar. Twist the wires together to connect the E9th pickup.To switch necks, untwist the E9th wires and twist the C6th wires together.
2) Use a 3/4 inch drill bit and drill a hole in the top of the neck to get to the switch. After the repair is made, plug the hole with a chrome cap.
Dennis

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2003 12:59 pm    

Kirk, have you heard from the Carter folks yet? John and Ann have been posting over the last few days, so I'm surprised they haven't responded to your post.

I'm not familiar with Carters, but here's how I would approach it. The neck will most likely have to be removed, maybe the pickup, and (hopefully not) the changer. If you see screws under the guitar along the neck, you would unstring the guitar and remove the neck with those screws. If you don't see any screws underneath, I suspect it's screwed on from the top and you'll have to remove the fretboard to get at them.

In any case, I'd contact Carter first as you'll probably have to buy the switch from them anyway.

Kirk P Dighton

Troy Mills, Iowa
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2003 1:33 pm    

Thanks guys. I had already contacted Ann at Carter and have recieved the switch and the fretboard along with special glue remover. I knew that I would have to remove the neck and fret board but wanted to know if anyone had done it and if there were any "funky" glitches I need to be aware of before I start unsoldering and tearing apart. Dennis- What can I say? There are no words. Kirk

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2003 7:33 pm    

I'm sure there is a reason for the placement of this switch in the neck, but on the body between the necks (if there is room) would eliminate this situation. I wonder if that might be an easier remedy than going into the neck.