The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jim Clark, Clark Custom Guitars R I P
john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2014 9:29 am    

Just received word Jim Clark, founder Clark Custom Guitars, Owasso, OK., passed away this morning July 4.

Information from Mowery Funeral Service
Funeral services will be:

July 8th - 10:30am at
Mowery Funeral Home Chapel
9110 North Garnett Road
Owasso, Oklahoma 74055

additional information 918 272-6244 (Mowery Funeral Service)

John Buffington

Last edited by john buffington on 5 Jul 2014 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2014 10:14 am    

Oh how I hate to hear this. John do you have any details of his death?
Jim looked so good at the Tulsa Show. Clovis Richards, Rick Crow, and myself all meet out at Jim's shop the day before the show. We all went over to a nice restaurant and all had some lunch together.
What a GOOD man Jim was, Jim meant a lot to me, He's going to be missed soo much.
I know Jimmy is with the Lord now.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2014 4:35 pm    

Check your email Fred.
Yes, the call this morning was a real kick in the stomach!

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2014 7:38 pm    

Sad news. I owned two of Jim's guitars years ago, I also bought my first pedal steel from him, a Fender 400, with an E9th tuning without strings 7, and 9. I learned a lot on that guitar but soon had to have something else. He helped me start on this steel guitar quest 42 years ago. He also worked at American Airlines with my Dad, my Father-in-law, and my Uncle.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

C.D. Richards

Owasso,OK
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2014 3:39 am    

This is truly sad news. I feel very blessed that I had the opporunity to become friends with Jim. I enjoyed going to his shop and visting with him and looking at (playing) his guitars. I am so happy that Jim built me a new guitar approx. 3 years ago.
Clovis Richards

Marty Neer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2014 9:09 am     Jim Clark

Jim was the ultimate when it came to keeping a guitar up and running. My very first guitar was a Clark D-10 that I learned to start playing on 30 plus years ago. After about a year of playing the pull rod on the B pedal broke and I called him out of the blue. He had quit building guitars at the time and said he wasn't sure he had a replacement part but to bring it down and he would get her fixed up. I think he took a coat hanger and bent drilled it to where an hour later I was back in business and
never asked for a dime to do the repair. Class act and I learned a lesson as a young kid what standing behind your work and product was all about. RIP Jimmy you will truly be missed by our OSGA community.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2014 4:51 pm    

This is a real shock to me! I had just spent time with Jim at the Tulsa show Memorial Day Weekend and was seriously considering purchasing one of his fine Clark Steel Guitars. Well he seemed to be feeling fine and was doing great.

Jim was a wonderful person and in my opinion a great builder of steels. I liked his steel guitars and tried three out at Tulsa. We had a great time visiting.

Prayers for the family and his many friends.

Terry Wood

Sonny Curtis

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2014 4:55 pm     Good bye my friend.

To say Jim Clark was my friend would be an understatement. He was more than that....he was like a brother to me. I have known him for many years and have cherished that time that we have spent together whether in person or on the phone.
We made it a point to call and check up on each other. I spoke with him only two days before God called him home. I will also cherish the Clark guitar that he made for me with his own hands. I have not had something hit me so hard since George Jones past away. Barbara and I send our love and prayers to his son's...

Jim, my forever friend...I will miss you but I will see you again. Until then...you take a part of me with you
Sonny

bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2014 1:22 pm    

go rest high on that mountain jim.
may you be at peace & the Lord welcomes you to the heavenly band with open arms.
prayers to all the friends & family.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2014 1:15 pm    

Although I'd known about Jim Clark for decades, I'd only recently had the pleasure of meeting and chatting at great length with Mr. Clark, since we had adjoining booths at the recent Oklahoma Steel Guitar Show.

He seemed in good health at that time and so I'm surprised, shocked, and saddened upon hearing this bad news.

Rest well, Mr. Clark.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 3:11 pm    

Such sad news. R.I.P. Our condolences to family and friends of this true craftsman. Jim, you are missed.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2014 3:58 pm    

It's always sad whenever someone passes. First and foremost, my thoughts and prayers are with his family and many friends. Although I never had the pleasure of meeting Jim Clark, I did however, see one of his new guitars on display at a store in Columbus, probably belonging to Mr. Curtis. I remember the Clark was a D-10 and a strikingly beautiful steel guitar. My late friend and forum member, Robert Scarberry took me there to see it, circa 1974. May Mr. Clark rest in peace.