The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Knee Levers
Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2002 4:55 pm    

I recieved an Email asking me to explain "reversing" knee levers on an Emmons push pull guitar.
Since the thread on setting up an Emmons changer is getting so long, I thought it best to start a new one.
To start with,,, I don't know if "reversing lever" is the proper term for these levers. It's what I started calling them years ago and no one, yet, has told me any different.
In general and almost in all cases that I know of, it's the levers that move to the right when the guitar is in the upright or playing position. Unlike most of the "players" a lot of the guitar mechanics, including me, think more of the guitar upside down. So from that view, it would be the levers that move to the left. This applies not only to Emmons' push pulls, but to all of the "all pull" guitars that I'm aware of.
To further explain; in general, the "raise" changer fingers (actuators) of the guitar are moved (pulled) toward the left or keyhead end of the guitar. To put this into perspective, the "arc" of the raise bell (or puller) crank is moving away from the changer. You will also notice that the other side of the arc is moving to the right or toward the changer, thus resulting in a "push".
Now, in order for a knee lever that's moving to the right to cause the raise side of the arc to move to the left (away from the changer end), you have to have a way to "reverse" the energy (or motion) of that lever to cause the mechinizum to move in the proper direction. In the case of a push pull, that is accomplished by running a rod from the lever to the lower, or push, side of the bell crank. Thus, when you move the lever, you are causing the bell crank to move in the needed direction.
Hope this explains a little better and is not confusing. I just don't know the technical (institutions of higher learning) terms for this kind of geometry and physics.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

rhcarden

Lampe,Mo / USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 9:24 pm    

It's what you do when you have a (push) and you need a (pull)!

------------------
Bob Carden 66 Emmons P/P 8/9
BMI 13 string 7/7

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2002 6:46 am    

Thanks, Bobby
With so many leverage options, it's great to have someone like you who understands the mechanics to help us out.

WE APPRECIATE THE TIME YOU DEVOTE TO US.

Happy holidays

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2002 7:18 pm    

Bobby, do you have an 'Ebonics' keyboard? Hope you are well, I have not heard yet about the Houston Rodeo. We're playing the halftime show at the Liberty Bowl on the 31st, so if you watch I'll wave to whoever you're watching with. Love ya' brother, and you're giving some great advice on here.....as long as they read phonetically......

Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2002 8:09 pm    

Geoffery,
I almost got through the third grade!
I'll try to see ya the 31'st. Call me if you'd like. 281-856-9453.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!