The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Doug's Books - Must Have for Aspiring Lap Steelers
Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2014 9:16 am    

I just got Doug Beaumier's 25 More Songs for Lap Steel in a couple of days ago. It's been a very busy week at work and I just got a chance to sit down with it today for a little while.

I just can't say enough about Doug's books and CD's. I have had the first version of this book for about a year, and it has done more to help me learn lap steel and stay encouraged than anything else I have in my stack of instructional material.

If you want to learn lap steel, then of course you should start with the basics and there are many fine books out there for that, Scotty's Mel Bay book being one of my favorites. There is also a ton of good dvd and download material, to name a couple, the lessons from George Boards, and Troy Brennemeyer are great. But once you get a little grounding in the basics behind you and are ready to start playing some great sounding arrangements on your lap steel you just can't beat these two books from Doug.

Here's hoping there are more to come.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2014 11:15 am    

Thanks, Jim! much appreciated.

Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2014 12:43 pm    

I agree with Jim about Doug's two "25 Songs For Lap Steel" play books and CD's. Both of these tab books have given me a huge amount of motivation. The way that Doug has written this material, and the great selection of songs that he has incorporated into these tab books, makes it easy for even ME to play!
Thank you Doug. Very Happy Very Happy

Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2014 1:26 pm    

They'll probably be good lubrication for my return to six string electric. It's always nice to have something to ease the transition. Are they available through the forum?

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2014 2:35 pm    

Www.playsteelguitar.Com

Rick Bernauer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2014 8:25 pm    

I started playing lap steel this year and purchased Doug's "25 Songs" book. I got so much out of it that I bought the "25 More Songs" book. I hope Doug brings out another book soon with some arrangements for intermediate players.

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2014 11:10 pm     Doug's books. A+++++++

It's time for me to give kudos again for Doug's books. I have had his books for very close to 2 years now. I play and practice every day with these two books. They really are responsible for my getting back into the groove of consistent playing and practice time. My confidence level and playing level improves each week. I even like to hear my own playing, not that I am real good, but I've lost the frustration that I never sounded any good. Doug's books are fantastic. And so are the CD's.

This is a pleading begging moment to Doug. Please build(big expressive eyes so you can't resist)another wonderful book and CD's combo for us.
If the publishing aspect is too great a risk, would you consider an ebook??? Pleeeeeease????

I have music from Troy, Erv, Scotty, Jeff, Winnie, and several others that all have wonderful stuff for which I am grateful to own and use.
For some reason thankfully, I really connected with Doug's books and my improvement has been so satisfying and has helped me go back and work at tougher stuff I had never been able to do before and actually be able to play them. I am 73 years old and I can't seem to express well enough what it means after all these years to finally sound half way decent, it's so rewarding and satisfying.

If you're riding the fence on buying one of Doug's books, well just buy them...you absolutely will not regret it.
Sincerely
Dick Smile Smile Smile

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2014 6:23 am    

Both books are great and put out by somebody who knows how to teach and how to develop certain skill sets within the confines of a song.

Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2014 2:43 pm    

I would agree, I like to get out a six string now and then and learn something new out of Doug's books.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2014 9:09 am    

Thanks for the kind words guys. The response to these books and CDs has been very positive and humbling. I get emails every day from players who have purchased the books and like them. They like the large tab and the friendly, playable arrangements. As I've said in the past, I never intended for these to be instruction books per se, just song books with playable tunes. But many players have told me that they've learned a lot about chord positions, harmonies, slants, slides, and how to get around on C6 tuning just by playing through the songs in the books.

I'm working on another one now. 16 songs, three tunings, C6, A6, B11. All three tunings accessible on the same set of strings. I hope to have it done by December (2014)! The first book took 8 months to complete. The second book took a year. My pedal steel book took two years. Anyway, I'll be posting some of the audio here on the forum as I get the recordings done. Thanks again.

George Schinler

Austin,TX USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2014 9:14 am    

I'm using Doug's books, too. They are priceless. I bought some of Troy's videos to start studying/learning how the C6 neck works, but with Doug's books you can start making music right out of the gate.

I would love to see Doug do a book that offers not just melodies but also rhythm parts, chord comping suggestions, fills etc. for accompaniment. What type of intervals/pinches he plays and where they lay on the neck.

Many thanks Doug for helping so many of us get started with steel guitar.

Bosse Engzell

�ppelbo, SWEDEN
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2014 1:22 pm    

Until December, just 6 mounth to go, I still wating, ha, ha. Somthing god to get to Cristmas.

Bosse in Sweden

Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2014 1:49 pm    

Good news Doug, put me down for a copy & I know others from "down under" are waiting also! Very Happy
I'll spread the word in any case & cheers from Oz!
Allen.

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2014 5:45 pm     New book in Dec

Ooooh...that's definitely good news. I will own one.

Dick Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 24 Jun 2014 5:48 am    

Yes, I'll have to have one of these too.

John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2014 8:47 am    

Count me in!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2014 8:21 pm    

Thanks, guys. You've inspired me to get back to work!

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2014 8:27 pm    

Doug, you had a bunch of other educational material available historically (albeit much of it WITH the pedals we are WITHOUT in this section.) Any chance some of that will become available again? Seems easier than writing a whole new batch, though that would be fine too. I think there was a Rock'n'Roll on E9?

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2014 6:22 am    

Ken, yes, I had a series of "talk and play" tapes about 25 years ago. Each tape came with a booklet of tablature. Cassette tapes (remember those?) Cool Later I transferred them to CD. I discontinued those about 8 or 10 years ago. I can't see that format working nowadays. Today it would have to be video instruction. And in the pedal steel world there is so much material out there now, and so much free instruction on youtube. I rather stick with the song books, mostly non-pedal now. Thanks for the memory... Cool

Michael Greer

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2014 7:11 am    

Doug

So glad to hear you have a target date for the next edition of your songbook.

I align with those that agree your books and cd are just the BEST material available for lap steel.

know what I will be getting for Christmas

mike

Ralph Czitrom

Ringwood, New Jersey
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2014 7:13 am    

Doug, I spent about a year just working with Jerry Byrd's "big book", and then another with your books. A great way for any beginner to get started. Bring on the next one!

Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2014 9:17 am    

Doug, can you let us in on the song titles that you will be featuring in your next book coming out in December?

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2014 7:31 am    

So far I have 5 classic Country songs, 8 Hawaiian, and 3 older pop songs. I don't want to list titles yet because the book is six months away and there could be some changes. Thanks again for the positive comments.

Jack Gentle Jr

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2014 5:24 pm    

I recently bought Doug's two books and am very impressed. Professional quality tabs and CDs, very nice playable arrangements, good song selections, and expert playing on the CDs to enjoy.

I'll be wanting the third for sure.

Liz Williams

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2014 8:40 pm    

"3 older pop songs" as in jazz standards, she said hopefully? I'm delighted to hear that you're working on another songbook, Doug. That's great news.