The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  If I tuned string 2 to D instead of D# ...
Don Walters

Saskatchewan Canada
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2002 10:01 am    

would I be making life harder for myself, or missing something, as I try to learn to speed pick?

I find that, for how I currently play, I use string 2 as a "D" far more often than as a "D#", as it's currently tuned. I'm tempted to tune it to D and use levers to get D# and C#, but I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into if I do that.

TIA

------------------
Don Walters
Carter D-10, 8p/6k
Session 500 with Lemay Mod

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2002 11:15 am    

I've always tuned my 2nd string to D and raised it with one lever and lowered with another. I find that I more often use the b7 than the Ma7 and the D# is just a lever away when I need it. Some licks, like the unison split in both directions often called the 'Emmons cross' can be a bit tricky if you don't have the raise and lower on opposing knees (I don't but have found a couple of ways around the problem).

I encourage students to use D# and change later if they wish -- AFTER learning what the pros and cons mean. Also, tab is typically written for D# in the 2nd position.

I can play with 2nd at D or D# without much thought. D has worked for me for almost 30 years, but it's not one of my little setup quirks that I force on others.

The reason you cite (you use the D more often than the D#) is EXACTLY the reason I changed. I encourage you to think about what string combinations are important and analyze the two setups that way. On your Carter it should be a pretty easy experiment to try. Start by tuning to D and lower with your existing lever to C#. Play some fills and licks with rhythm tracks and see how much you use/miss the D#. I tend to lower 4 to get the D# more often than some players, but that isn't always identical to using the 2nd string. It's personal preference/style.

Hope this helps some.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 02 December 2002 at 11:19 AM.]

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2002 11:53 am    

Hey Don,
Ol' Jimmy Crawford who's one of the all time great speed pickers tunes his 2nd string to a D and pulls it to D# with one lever and lowers it to C# with another. I've tried it before myself but I prefer tuning mine to C#. Have a good 'un.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2002 12:21 pm    

I've had my second string tuned to D since about '79--due solely to Jimmie Crawford's influence. I couldn't have it any other way.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2002 4:09 pm    

I played with a D as my second string for about 20 years. I switched to D# because a close analysis of the tuning convinced me that it was the right thing to do.

Melodies are made from scale fragments. When you are forming melodies from the major scale on the high strings, you will use the second string as D# or D depending on your position. In the key of C, the string tuned to D# is used in common pedal positions at frets 1, 4, 6, 8, and 11. The string tuned to D is only used at frets 3, 5, and 10. The 5th fret position is a rare one because the 4th and 6th fret positions (A+F) are real handy. So there are really only two common positions (3rd fret and 10th fret in C) where you always want the second string tuned to D.

By tuning the second string to D# and lowering it with a lever, you don't have to use the lever as often. That's why it's tuned to a D# in the standard tuning.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6), Roland Handsonic

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2002 1:06 pm    

b0b,
We've gone 'round over this one before, but I still submit that it's a function of your style and approach whether the D# or the D is more consistent with what/how you play. I use my 2nd string a LOT and most of the time it is to get the b7 in the NP key (E) and the 4th tone in the A+B key (A). The half-step interval with the 4th string is about all I raise it for.

To a large extent, it's a matter of preference. But like I said before, players should try it both ways to know for sure.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2002 1:39 pm    

I use the D a lot, too. It you don't use the F lever positions much, it might not make a big difference. On all three F lever positions, the D# is a lot more useful than the D. It gives you the 9th tone of the chord.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6), Roland Handsonic

Don Walters

Saskatchewan Canada
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2002 2:23 pm    

Thanks for all the excellent responses. Now that I am 5/7 retired and about to "ramp up" my practise time considerably, I plan to take Larry's advice and analyze not only how I play now, but where I'm going with it. The information provided here will be very useful!

Once again, the Forum comes through! Thank you b0b, and thank you all!!

------------------
Don Walters
Carter D-10, 8p/6k
Session 500 with Lemay Mod