The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Our Favorite "Weldon Myrick" Story, Whats Yours?
Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 5:50 am    

You know, aside from mourning the loss of this giant of a man, I believe we should celebrate his life as well.
I would love to hear life stories of your personal connection or encounter with Weldon Myrick.

I'll start it off, here's mine:
In 1966 & 67 I was hanging out with a man named Jimmy Douglas Guitar player, of the Highway Rhythm Boys. I was under age at 18 to get into the clubs but Jimmy would take me with him and sneak me in.
On our way to the gig every Friday & Saturday night we would tune into the "Grand Ole Opry" and I would get to hear the pedal steel played by Mr. Weldon Myrick.
I could always tell it was him playing and would tell Jimmy, turn it up, turn it up.
Now I had no idea at 18 years old I would some day play a steel guitar let alone build one.

And what really blows my mind is, as I rode along listening and admiring Weldon's playing, that one day Weldon would call me and ask, would you build me one of your guitars? WOW, double WOW, this is big to me.
Well, to get on with the story, I did start playing steel at age 23, and listened and listened some more of Weldon all through the years.
Then when "Whiskey River" came out it like exploded in my mind. WOW, Weldon was on fire.
I got to know Weldon way too late in life for my satisfaction, wish I could have met him much earlier in life.
He was my HERO from the start and remains my hero today even more. God bless you Weldon Myrick.

Dave Bertoncini

Sun City West, Arizona USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 6:27 am    

I never met Weldon, but he had a profound effect on my musical life. He is the first steel player that I heard live. I used to go to the Fillmore in San Francisco in the late 60's and early 70's and one night Area Code 615 were playing and once I heard him play I knew I wanted to try to make that sound.

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 6:46 am    

Weldon & Jimmie Crawford playing together at a PSGA Show in NY around 1978 or so. Jimmie's nervous and sweating and having trouble executing some of the amazing stuff he does. He turns to Weldon and says "aren't you nervous with all these good steel players watching you?" Weldon looks back, and cool as a cucumber says " how do you know they're good?"

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 8:17 am    

I like the reported story about Weldon having a fretboard and putting it on new steeler's at the Opry guitars and positioning it off. The guy goes to play it and he is off key.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 11:08 am    

I was introduced to Weldon on the Opry stage in 1980 just after he had taken a solo, he said, it's ok, it's a radio show….. We hung out after the show and went to Shoney's for a while.. He's from West Texas so we hit it off really quickly. I remember him being very kind and encouraging as I had just gotten into town. He gave me his home phone number and ask me to call him the next day. During the phone call he gave me a lot of advise and a few leads. I didn't talk to him again until I was living In Branson in 1997, he was playing a steel show there. He saw me and said hello Wally, I couldn't believe he remembered me at all much less remembering my name. He was a real inspiration to my playing throughout my career. I still play things everyday that I got off of the records he played on and some of his instruction material.. It's sad to loose another master, I guess thats the way life goes if you live long enough.. I know he loved what he did all those years so in this life it can't get any better than that.. I know from talking to him that he was a Christian, I believe he's in a much better place…

Hamilton Barnard

Oro Valley, Arizona (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 11:25 am    

Watching Weldon laughing his butt off at Grandpa Jones because Grandpa had forgotten the words to his song with the house band playing on the Opry.

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 12:35 pm    

I was in Nashville one time, but have forgotten which year. (1988 ???) I was hanging out at Sho-Bud in the up-stairs loft with Duane Marrs. Someone brought in Weldon's D-10 guitar. They told Duane that Weldon had a minor accident on his motorcycle & was unable to use his left leg. Weldon wanted Duane to move the E-9th pedals to the far right in the 6,7 & 8th positions of the C-6th tuning.

What a trooper Weldon was to go ahead & play the Opry with an injured leg. Surprised

Roger

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 1:10 pm    

Sometime in the 80's when I first became interested in steel guitar, I made the trek to St Louis and The Steel Guitar Convention. I didn't know one steel player from another. I went into the little restaurant and man was setting at the bar type deal. I ask was anyone sitting there and he said no, have a seat. After a few minutes we got into conversation about steel and how I just started playing because I was driving down road and heard the kick off to Connie's Then And Only Then and how I fell in love with the instrument because of that song. He sorta grinned and said, be glad to show it to you sometime. I asked, are you a steel player? He modestly said, yeh, that was me on the record. I couldn't even talk for about 15 minutes, LOL. We sorta stayed in touch after that about once year. A great guy and will be missed not only as one of the best on earth but such a nice and humble guy.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 1:53 pm    

I was 19 years old in 1972 and working as a janitor at Giant Music on Columbia Pike in Arlington, Virginia. There was a real pretty little ShoBud on the sales floor, a birdseye maple Maverick with polished endplates, but I had not been able to figure out how to use the pedals to replace the bar slants I had been using on the lap steel. I knew what I needed but could not figure out how to make it work.

Enter Weldon Myrick. He came in to buy some picks and strings and one of my co-workers who knew him called me over and introduced me to "a real steel picker." When I told him of my dilemma, he promptly sat down behind that little 10 string and tuned it up. Then he showed me how he held the bar - "the wider you spread your fingers behind the bar the more control you have" and proceeded to show me how to play diatonic scales on strings 3+5 using the A+B pedals.

With that much to go on I bought that little guitar from my boss the next day and never looked back.

The entire encounter lasted maybe twenty minutes at the most and constitutes the only "real" lesson I ever had on the pedal steel. I had always hoped to cross paths again and thank him properly for setting my life on the proper path...

Last edited by Dave Grafe on 3 Jun 2014 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 1:57 pm    

I first became aware of Weldon when I read his name as the steel picker on Chet's Super Pickers album from about 1973 or '74. Before that the pickers were almost never named on the albums.

I was a Chet fanatic at the time, but that got me to thinking about pedal steel. Also, Chet said that Weldon was a super picker, and that was good enough for me!

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 3:47 pm    

Augusta Ga., late 50s I think....Weldon was playing with the "Po Boys" Watched him take a brand new Sho Bud (his first Bud) out of the case, and tune it
and play it the first time on stage with Bill Anderson..Mr Smooth....RIP Bro.

This was at the Ryman, The other steeler is Sonny Burnette I think.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 4:29 pm    

Many people know Weldon was born and raised in West Texas. I have an aunt and uncle who live close to the clubs Weldon played at. Uncle Louis told me in the early 1990's there was a real good steel player who played in Big Springs,Texas but he moved and he never heard of him again. I asked my uncle if he remembered the steel players name to which he replied, Weldon Myrick. I said "Uncle Louis, Weldon has been the staff steel player on the Grand Ole Opry for over 20 years". I found it so amazing after all the years that had went by my uncle remembered his name. That was the kind of impression Weldon Myrick made on my uncle.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 4:34 pm    

Jack Stoner brought up an interesting story. Weldon and Hall Rugg pulled one on Larry Sasser. They cut down an Emmons fretboard and taped it on top of his guitar and Larry never noticed it. So Larry gets off his guitar and sits behind the one next to him only to find the volume pedal wired backwards. Yeah, Weldon had a joking side to him as well.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 4:38 pm    

Right after I started playing steel, there was a show on the channel that was the Nashville Network at the time, and Gene Watson was on that show. Weldon was playing steel on the show and when he started the intro to "Farewell Party", I just sat there and listened, and was amazed by his playing then, before Weldon played the solo, Gene introduced him as Mr. Weldon Myrick-I watched Weldon and his techniques very closely, wondering if I could do those techniques. Two or three years after that, Weldon and I had talked on the internet and he was very happy that I'm a steel guitar player. I also remember a clip on the Opry where Travis Tritt, Waylon Jennings, and Porter Wagoner were on the Opry,talking about their heroes and behind Travis was Weldon's turquoise Emmons steel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 6:14 pm    

I was playing the Grand Ole Opry with LeAnn Rimes..I was REALLY up tight about playing there..that is until they told me to setup NEXT to Weldon's steel on stage...REALLY, me set next to Weldon??? I wasn't up tight about playing the Opry anymore...lol
texsteelman2@yahoo.com

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar

Mark Frederick

The Great State of Arizona
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2014 8:45 pm    

Nice thread, Fred. I never met Weldon but I've been a big admirer since his days with the Po' Boys. Anyone remember his kick-off and turnaround on Bill Anderson's "3 A.M."? What a mind! Rest well Mister Weldon Myrick.

Mark

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 7:33 am    

Yes indeed Mark, so many interesting stories here about this great man, keep them coming.
He touched so many lives with not just his playing, but with his personality and the person that he was.
Weldon will live in our hearts forever. Very Happy

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 9:31 am    

One time at the Opry, Weldon took a long rope and tied it too the front leg of Jerry Whitehurst's piano.

Just as it reached Jerry's solo, Weldon started pulling the Piano away from Jerry.

Jerry had to keep scooting his seat forward to finish the solo.

Funny men and a lot of good times.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 11:05 am    

In 1972 I had the honor of meeting Weldon at the back door of the Opry House as he and Hal were bringing in their guitars. We began talking and he ask if I had bought my ticket to show yet, I said no, he said good, take this (his guitar) and follow me in. My day was made I thought, I got to carry Weldon Myricks guitar. Well long story short, he positioned me in the wings of the Opry House with a perfect view of the stage and said "now you can see what we do first hand"! I met a lot of the real legends that night through him. When the show was over he came over and said let's get some breakfast. So here we go to the Holiday Inn in downtown Nashville, sitting at the table was Weldon, an acquaintence of mine, Sonny Burnett and myself! I had probably a 1 1/2 hour visit with one of the most friendly super players of all time. Sonny Burnett ordered scrambled eggs and doused them with ketchup, Weldon looked at that, and said , "you gonna eat that"? Sonny looked up and said yeah, you want some, Weldon said "I ain't that hungry"! I laughed so hard I almost embarrassed my self, come to find out this was an every Saturday night routine. We all had a good laugh, but Weldon wrinkled his nose a few times with each bite Sonny took of the eggs. By the way Weldon had pancakes. The man treated me as though we had known each other for years. That is the Weldon Myrick I had the pleasure of knowing. What a wonderful legacy he leaves with us.

W. C. Edgar

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, L or R Coast Soon!
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 11:08 am    

About 1987 I was in Nashville visiting friends at the Opry and was backstage taking it all in when I noticed Weldon carrying his D-10 Emmons to the stage for the next portion of the show. He was on as usual with the great Connie Smith. The curtain was still down while they re set the stage and when he walked off stage left I introduced myself as an aspiring steel player and asked him about a great ride he played on George Strait's cut of the Bob Will's classic 'Right Or Wrong'. He replied, "how do you know if was me that played it"? I said, "because your name was on the album credits". He laughed and told me thanks for enjoying it. Then I asked him where (on what position) on the C6th neck he started the run because I was playing with some local hacks in Kansas and I wanted to learn it note for note.

He said, "come on over here" and we walked onto the Opry stage to his Emmons and he proceeded to show me the lick and what pedals and knee levers he was using on the lick.

It blew me away and to this day I've never forgot the generosity shown a new steel guitarist by one of the all time greats of the instrument. To this day when people ask how I learned to play this beautiful instrument I reply the fact that I was always truly blessed by having the pleasure of meeting and spending time with many of the greats of the steel guitar including but not limited to Buddy Emmons, Weldon Myrick, Jimmy Crawford, Hal Rugg, Don Helms, Cal Sharp, Buck Reid, Dave Robbins, Doug Jernigan, Bobbe Seymour, Bob Hempker and many more......

RIP my friend and like Hank Williams always said, "if the good Lord's a willin and the creek don't rise we'll see ya all again".

WC Edgar
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson & more
wcedgar.com

Doug Jones

Oregon & Florida
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 11:15 am    

I remember a night when Weldon sat in for Sonny Burnette on Nashville Now. His tone was so killer that I decided to try to call him on the phone the next day. Much to my surprise, his number was listed in 615 Directory assistance. We had a wonderful talk about steels and pickups.

Later in 1999, when I lived in Nashville, I called Weldon again; same #. I knew he enjoyed golf and after re-acquainting, I gave him my number in case he needed another player for a future game. Well about 1 month and a half later, at 8am, Weldon called me to see if I could join his group later that morning at McCabe Golf course in the Sylvan Park area of West Nashville. Of course I said yes and scrambled to get out there. Weldon pulled in the parking lot with a golf cart trailer behind his Corvette. Also in the group was legendary session bassist Mike Leach. On the 18th hole, Weldon sank a long putt to win $4 per man for his team. After golf, we hung out for a half hour talking steel and the biz. I guess my big story is that I lost $4 to Weldon Myrick on a golf game bet on the very last hole.

I did not know him well, but I'll never forget his stature, his gentle kindness to a new guy, and most of all the incredible contribution he made to the pedal steel.

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 4:38 pm    

Well, I don't have a Weldon story but I always admired the gentleman for his talent and long run as staff steel player for the Opry. One of the things I enjoy most about this forum is all the history & the stories you get to hear from people who lived them. I can just picture Jerry trying to keep up with his piano as Weldon pulled it away!

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 4:59 pm    

Very Happy That was a great story about Weldon , Fred. I never thought back when we were picken in Ruidoso u had only been playin psg a few years!! You certainly couldn't tell by your excellent playin buddy....Stormy Very Happy

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 10:01 pm     from Bruce Zumsteg . . .

Bruce Zumsteg sent this story and picture to be included here . . .

I recall driving home late at night listening to the Midnite Jamboree on WSM. This would have been around 1963,
as I recall, and Bill Anderson was the host of the show, with Weldon on steel. I was already a huge Weldon fan,
although he hadn't been on the Nashville scene all that long.

Bill introduced Weldon to play an instrumental, and he began playing "Beautiful Dreamer". As the WSM radio
signal was prone to fade "in and out", I pulled the car to the side of the road so as to not miss one single note.
Weldon's playing gave me goose bumps.
After he had finished the song, Bill said "That was great, Weldon. 500 steel guitar players just ran their cars
off the road!" He was so right, as I had done just that.

Weldon was one of my all time favorites and inspirations. I'll certainly miss him.

Posted below is a great picture of Hal Rugg and Weldon Myrick.

Bruce Zumsteg

Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2014 10:54 pm    

I never got to meet him so have no story, but I'm really enjoying all of the stories told here. Thanks guys.