The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap Steel - Best Alternative to E tuning
Dustin Schrimpsher

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2019 8:38 am    

I've searched the forums with little luck. I learned a bunch of stuff, but no answer to my specific question.

After playing 6 string lap steel in E for a while, I have picked up a pedal steel and I've started learning E9.

I like all the options the E9 offers. I think I'm ready for a more advanced/ complete tuning option for my lap steel.

What tuning will give me minors for my lap steel. While I can play slant chords I don't have much luck sliding them up the neck when necessary. I can "infer" minor chords easily enough but if there's a better option I want to try it.

Thanks everyone and have a happy New Year!

-dustin

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2019 8:49 am    

E6th will keep you at the same fret positions and give you minor chords. You'll need thinner strings, though.

Low to High: E G# B C# E G#

The C# note is the equivalent of the 1st pedal on your pedal steel. It's the root of the C# minor chord.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2019 12:50 pm    

If minor chords are a priority, and you're playing a 6-string instrument, I agree a 6th tuning is best. C6 is good, simply because there's abundant instruction material available. E6 is the same intervals, four half-steps -- four frets -- higher in pitch. And don't turn your back on bar slants. Slants open many doors. And you will be able do them. It just takes practice.

Dustin Schrimpsher

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2019 12:51 pm    

Thanks bOb! I'll give that a shot tonight. I'll do a little research on the string gauges. I may already have what I need in my string drawer.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2019 3:27 pm    

C6. Most pedal steel players have at least a familiarity with C6 and it is extremely versatile.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2019 6:18 pm    

I'll weigh in with the E over A tuning that b0b introduced me to a while back. (Low to High) A,C#,E,G#,B,E. It lets you use all the licks and harmonized scales that you learned in open E on the first four strings but opens up a lot of chord possibilities. You have the E major, C#m, C#m7, A, Amaj7, Amaj9 and a C#dom7 grip if you skip the 3rd. It's my favorite 6 string tuning as it's friendly for blues, rock, country, pop, singer/songwriter stuff - whatever needs accompaniment. I especially like retaining the string pulls on strings 2 & 3 for country twang and bluesy bends. You lose the low power chord that you had in open E but it opens up so much more.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2019 12:55 pm    

You will have problems changing from a two-octave tuning (guitar open E) to a 6 tuning (span 1 and 1/3 octaves)... your strings will either get too loose or too tight.

Consider changing strings to move to the 6 tuning. I do recommend a 6 tuning for what you want (easy minors). Buy a set off one of the many vendors here, or piece together a set from a pedal steel set. A normal guitar string set won't work for the close 6 tuning.

Paul Spafford

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2020 7:38 pm    

I’ve been trying a modified E6. From bass to treble:

C# E G# B C# E

Makes it easy to add the 6, play the relative minor, play a partial IV chord, and it’s nice for moving from the low five note up to the root, using either the six or the dominant. I’m liking it so far!

Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2020 10:18 am    

I use a truncated E13 on 6-string:

E - root
C# - 13
B - 5
G# - M3
F# - 9
D - m7

This should look familiar from E9, the difference being of course that the C# is not on a pedal Smile

The top strings are the relative minor 7th, C#m7:

E - m3
C# - root
B - m7
G# - 5

A disadvantage of this tuning on a 6-string is you don't have a lot of lower notes, so some melody lines can be difficult if not impossible to play as written.

An advantage is that all the notes are closely packed, so some melody lines can be played without needing to stray much from the home position.

In more advanced harmonic settings you get a nice 1/2 diminished chord on the bottom 4 strings, which helps in playing minor swing tunes as you shouldn't play a minor 7th as the two chord in a ii-V-i progression, i.e. iim7b5 - V7b9 - im6

And of course, a m7b5 or m6th chord is a "magic" chord as it can perform a variety of functions depending on its location in the progression: as a iim7b5, a im6 chord or a rootless V9 chord.

Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2020 10:22 am    

Also, while moving slants around can certainly be intimidating, it's a pretty important technique and should be practiced. Don't forget, a healthy vibrato can cover a multitude of pitch sins Smile

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2020 1:48 pm    

Another vote for the "truncated" E13. That is, the highest six strings of Leon McCauliffe's 8-string E13 tuning.

There are several Z-shaped single-note patterns that mimic the "A" pedal (I-IV) on an E9th PSG.