The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter D-10 body
John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2014 9:09 am    

Hi, under the Pedal Steel section I have posted notice of a Carter D-10 that was found to be severely damaged by the person I shipped it to. The case showed clear evidence of having been dropped on its corner, apparently from a significant height. As a result the body has be broken in two location. I am expecting, based upon what I am hearing from all corners for UPS not to honor the damage claim and do not wish to have the Forum member to have to wait for the outcome of me taking UPS to court, which I plan to do. So...., i am in need of a new D-10 body to rebuild the steel. Does anyone know if these can be found or who could build one for me?

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 20 May 2014 12:31 pm    

John,,IF,,,you win a damage case,,,,then UPS would take possession of the guitar,,,they bought it (as in Erv's case in the other thread). If the guitar is repaired,,,and a claim is made for the cost of repair, that complicates the issue,,,,all kinds of arguments could arise out of that,,,"we could have got it done cheaper",,,,"did it really need that much repair",,,,etc,,,,. Hope you had pics of the guitar stabilized securely in the case (loose items act as a "hammer" when impacted). Their "fine print" states items must be packed to with stand a 6' (?) drop,,,as does fedex.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 May 2014 1:06 pm    

Mark Giles made some of the Carter bodies. I mention this because he may still have the templates. This would assist in assuring a proper fit for endplates and other parts.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2014 1:34 pm    

there used to be some white bodies at carter. contact the guy who got all those parts....i think he is in canada, and see if there are some left....being white..probably are.

Doug Jones

Oregon & Florida
Post  Posted 21 May 2014 7:29 pm    

Bill might be referring to Al Brisco of Steel Guitars of Canada http://www.steelguitarscanada.com/

Good luck . . . . .

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2014 3:54 am    

So by way of an update, I did contact Al Brisco, who by the way is a featured player at the ISGC this Labor Day Weekend, and he told me that there are no new Carter bodies anywhere in existence. UPS is picking up the steel today and will be performing their damage inspection. I have searched around the web and found the same war stories where UPS refused to pay on damage claims, even where the UPS store did the packing. I have also located a law firm that is evidently putting together some type of class action suit against UPS for their failure to cover damage claims. I have my fingers crossed at this juncture. I will keep you all in the loop as this saga progresses.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2014 5:03 am    

so now that is in the works, lets reopen my carter body can of worms. the rout for the changer in the d10 body was such that the area behind the rout was subject to cracking even without being dropped. i had three carters and all had cracks. most run through the bolt holes in the back. it was a well know design flaw among a lot of people.

when i contacted fabian he was a little hard nose about it until i sent him pictures and comments from other players/builders about the problem. he was nice enough to offer me two options...that i really didnt like. first return the guitar on my nickle. then HE would decide if it just needed regluing or replacement.
having built and repaired instrument for many years, i just flat out told him that i would not accept a reglue of maple that was cracked and then stress warped due to the changer/string pressure. he offered me a body, but only if i accepted a white one. the reason he did that is that white was not a popular body and he had some unused ones. i just did the extensive repair myself which was to take the guitar apart and then rout out the crack and glue/insert a 1/4" wide rectangular plug where the crack had opened up and then sand to surface. there was no way just some titebond glue and some clamps would fix it.

can you describe or show a pic of the damage to your guitar? is some of the damage to the area of the guitar behind the changer?

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2014 4:18 pm    

Bill Hatcher: I do not have the guitar. It is presently in Alabama. I have just related what I have been told about where the damage occurred. My Carter was a 2007 and was immaculate. Now the front apron is split in 2 , with the Formica on the front also split. The case was dropped on the corner on the key head end so thAt end of the guitar i have been told is also fractured, but I do not know where exactly as of yet. It was not cracked there when it left my house. Fortunately I photo documented it very well. So UPS told my friend who received my destroyed guitar that there is no way this damage could have been caused by them, rather I sent it to him in that condition in an attempt to rip him off. A billion dollar company and this is how the UPS company spokespeople treat their customers. This is all very sad. I am expecting to have it rebuilt. I am hoping to find a builder who can build a new body for it. UPS is going to court, I already have an attorney pro bono.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 1:32 pm    

Do you have photo's ? Initial receipt of the package , the damage and the inside damage... , extremely important...did the guy take pictures or just open the box and report the damage ?

If you go to court you will need the signed document from the driver who picked up the Steel either from your home or the UPS Hub/Store. That is UPS standard policy, written, especially with hi dollar claims.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 4:06 pm    

Hi Tony:

You are dead on. The UPS policy is to ensure a claim can be made, that a UPS representative sign the form acknowledging receipt. I dropped the packaged steel off at the UPS terminal and asked the guy to sign the form. He said it wasn't necessary and walked away, I followed him and insisted. He again said it wasn't necessary. I then read the form requirements and asked him to please sign it as it is required to make a damage claim should it become necessary. He signed it, but was clearly annoyed with me. I am so glad now I was persistent.

I took pics of the steel before I shipped it as the recipient wanted to see the guitar in detail. So it's excellent condition is well documented.

I have my fingers crossed but am preparing for the worst.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 1 Jun 2023 9:48 am    

Hi John, what was the final outcome of your Carter. Do you still have it?
Regards
Brian