The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Volume Pedal Control Concept
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 4:03 am    

The recent volume pedal control exchanges, that appeared under the "Pedal Steel" section of The S.G. Forum, has lured me into accepting the challenge to dwell on a new method of volume control, that will require the development of a new skill. The skill will be clearly defined, in good time. Subjecting the the new idea to the proper exploration with ample forethought, hopefully, will not result in any sort of dissuation to pursue its development.

Bill H.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 4:18 am    

You go, Bill !

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 8:41 am    

As Charlie Brown would say...

Good grief!

Ian Finlay

Kenton, UK
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 9:08 am    

As someone with knee trouble, I'd be interested in any ideas. And this time, I promise I won't pull your leg about it (no pun intended)!

Ian

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 11:02 am    

Ian F.

I regret that you have been experiencing knee problems. I hope someone is helping you, if it's difficult to move around.
The new volume concept may very well require a fair amount of trial and error, before it becomes a reality; totally independent of concepts to date. I'd guess that it could be accomplished in a matter of a week or two, if I get started, and lean into the work on a daily basis.

I'm finishing the (CPC) at the present time, and I am here to report that it is a great addition to tonal changes. The slightly elevated short pedals, (one half the length of regular pedals) are a giant sized win, in terms of practicality. Please excuse my thread hopping.

Bill H.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 11:40 am    

What's wrong with the old method?

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 2:59 pm    

Chris S.

Progessive development would slam to a halt, if the popular consensus was to do nothing to make changes. luckily, that is not the wave of the future. The quest for betterment in our society is going forward in a mad rush. Trying to keep in stride is a real challenge.

Bill H.

Ian Finlay

Kenton, UK
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 8:21 am    

Thanks Bill.

my knee problems have been going on since I was 16 or so. Basically, if bent more than 90 degrees it locks up. At least it gets me aisle seats on airplanes! I guess I could play on a higher seat, but I suually end up with whatever the venue has.

Ian

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 8:44 am    

A $20,000 operation solved my knee problem. I can't "run" anymore....but I can do anything else!
www.genejones.com

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 9:44 am    

Bill, I'm all for pregressive development. And especially if the modifications were to address physical issues as Ian described. That aside, is your concept to modify how the foot pedal would work, or take that task away from the foot entirely? To me, my right foot control is intuitive. I don't think about it. The volume pedal can be the most expressive device in the chain. Playing steel is both hands, knees, feet, (and brain) working as one. Are you wanting to change that?
Jim Cohen emailed me on this and thought an alternative way to use both feet on the pedals like Emmons could be an issue worth looking into. Good point, and I never thought of that. I play mostly E9. My C6 knowledge is limited to one change at a time.
I think smoother control of the foot would be a great challenge. Has anyone tried stringing the pot in reverse, because heel action (when your heel is fixed to the floor) is smoother coming up than down. Put your heel on the floor with your toe in the air and slowly lower it like your depressing the pedal. It's very jerky. When you raise it, it's very smooth.
Let us know what you come up with.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 9:54 am    

Jerry Byrd's volume pedal works in the reverse, and he don't sound too shabby!

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 1:47 pm    

What about a voice recognition system. Using a normal mike head gear with an FM remote to the rack/sidekick. You'd only need five or six commands such as ON---OFF---UP---and DOWN. With the mic close or near your mouth you could avoid extranious sources or commands such as from the drummer or lead player. UP and DOWN could have secondary IDs such as 1-2-3-4-5 for incremental stops or you could simply repeat UP until you see the dust coming off your fretboards.... More sensitivity would only require more increments.

I'll bet Keith Hilton has already thought about this or has one on the drawing board now.

Regards, Paul

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 2:09 pm    

Chris S.

Thanks for the excellent reply. I agree with your expressed thoughts. Your statement that reads, "The volume pedal can be the most expressive device in the chain" is meritorious, and makes a great deal of sense.
Yes, I'll be experimenting with a change not associated with the feet. I'm opting for zero friction in a new design, that would best the standard pedals by a wide margin. I've tried many of the pedals that were disguised as something special, and after subjecting the internal parts to a degree of scrutiny, a growing resentment started to build within my thoughts. The emphasis on performance capability was not built into the pedals. Actually, some of the parts were of better use in well made pedals. Still, their function was nullified by poor construction of related parts, when used in the original inferior pedals. The rack and pinion type volume pedals feature advantages for players who wish to maintain a low volume level at all times, until the band commences to drag up their volume. The skillful player will then let the bear out the cage, and assert with definition, that he too, is a member of the band. Of course, the second option would be, to be seen, but then resigning oneself to a mere visual presence. Many bandleaders feature their lead players throughout the entire show, and enjoy doing so. The volume pedal is an important part of giving the best performance possible.

Bill H.

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 08 November 2002 at 11:20 PM.]

Joe Delaronde

Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 5:19 pm    

Bill
I've been seriously tinkering with the idea of installing a volume control on the underside of the front apron of the cabinet. It would be activated from a pedal and rod (same as the A,B,C, etc. pedals)
attached to a spring loaded lever using a rack and gear system to turn the control. There would be stop adjustments both ways.

This would allow the steel to be lowered about 2" , because there would be no more Volume foot pedal height to contend with.

I'm refurbishing my Link II to a U12 and intend on installing the Volume control on this steel for a "dry run".

Joe

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 2:54 am    

Joe D.,

Thanks for sharing your idea. I'm presuming from what you have written, that the right foot will activate the volume swell. Would that be a misinterpretation on my part? Returning the foot to floor level is a plus, which denotes a corrective advancement, by making physiological changes in body alignment. The raised foot puts undue pressure on the spine, which may, or may not result in, (IMO) regrettable consequences later in life. The stuffed wallet on a vinyl seat, over a period of time, may produce a similar effect. The huge conglomeration of casted aluminum, or pressed steel housings, needs redefining.

Bill H.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 3:31 am    

Bill said.....["The stuffed wallet on a vinyl seat, over a period of time, may produce a similar effect"].....

The statement is absolutely true! Once when I was doing a lot of playing and highway driving, I developed a chronic pain in my lower back that wouldn't go away....

After going to the doctor for relief, he advised me to move my wallet from my right-rear pocket, to my left-rear pocket!

I followed his advice and the pain went away....and I still carry my wallet in my left-rear pocket to this day!
www.genejones.com

[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 09 November 2002 at 03:33 AM.]

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 7:01 am    

Joe, I had Kieth Hilton make me a clip on "master" volume control, that's where I have my reserve volume. I'm anxious to see your Link when I see you up in Winnipeg in April.

Gene, I also agree the stuffed wallet is a problem, but I moved mine to my front pocket. (Not that it's stuffed with $'s, just junk). It not only stopped the pain, but it's a little harder for pick-pockets to ply their trade.

------------------
SUAS U' PHIOB
Geo

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 8:43 am    

My first steel was a Little Buddy that used the ideal Joe's talking about. One cord was all you needed.
Tony

Joe Delaronde

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 8:52 am    

Geo.- Looking forward to April 25/26 (?) That weekend anyway, for the Mid Canada Steel Show. I'll be seeing Wayne & Joan in about an hours time.

Bill- Installing the volume control under the cabinet isn't a new idea. Ron Halldarson had this on his 14 string Link II, years ago. It was activated with a knee lever which freed his right foot for the pedals. He used both feet on pedals. The only difference is, I'll connect a typical, rack mounted, floor pedal & rod to it.

And Bill, that is the right foot, unless you're left handed or footed, whichever may be the case.

Since I'm a senior now, I have nothing to put in my wallet, so I threw it away. The bank gave me this little blue plastic card?????

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 3:51 pm    

Joe D.,

The volume pedal you have described is not what I have in mind. It is far removed from the pedal rack version. I had written that it will require learning a new skill. I'll be making preliminary tests soon, and I will report to the forum any progress made.

Bill H.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 6:57 pm    

Hankey, here's a new skill to attempt. It's called communication. Look into it. And you can't come to the beach with us any more.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2002 4:36 am    

Stephen G.,

I've always tried to turn a liability around, and from it, create an asset. It's plain to see that while attempting to confer with the unconcerned, work slows down on any project. Enthusiam is the key to accomplishment. While reading your reply, the realization dawned on me, that any satisfaction derived from successful changes made for the better, can, and would be blighted by remarks thrown carelessly about. Recognizing this as factual, has made me more determined to proceed with the volume control concept.

Bill H.

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 13 November 2002 at 01:35 PM.]

Joe Delaronde

Post  Posted 10 Nov 2002 7:34 am    

Bill
Go for it!!!!!!
Joe