The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bill Llewelling's Steel Guitar Jam
Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2002 10:59 pm    

Yesterday I had the pleasure of attending Bill Llewelling's steel guitar jam in San Jose, CA and it was a lot of fun for everyone there. Mostly it was a joy to hear so many good players. Amoung the better players were J. D. Manness and David Wright. These guys are great steel guitarists and both in very different ways. David plays an outragous looking (and sounding) Sierra U12 on which he plays both jazz and country equally well. J. D. plays an Emmons D10 P-P (also very beautiful looking and sounding) and played his ass off. (mostly E9)
Bobby Lee was also there and played beautifully on his Sierra. Many other very good players were there too( all who's names I just don't recall right now ).
We all sat (15 of us) with our steels and amps in a big circle and played along with a Band-in-a-Box program with lots of great old tunes on it.
Thanks for everything Bill (including the dounuts). Don

[This message was edited by Don McClellan on 03 November 2002 at 11:03 PM.]

Jack Francis

Queen Creek, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2002 4:55 am    

Wish I coulda been there. Sounds like a great time....oh well, maybe someday I can go back to the old stomping grounds for a visit.
Jack

------------------
RUS-LER S-10 NV 400
TELE's,STRAT FENDER TWIN

Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 7:25 am    

Don, it was my pleasure to host the event. I get as much or more of a charge out of it as anyone. The plan is to keep these as fairly regular events, perhaps every three or four months. Since Mike Perloin will be having an LA area jam in February '03, I think I'll set the stage for the next San Jose jam in April.

Oh yes, the donuts. Because almost nobody ate them, the apple fritters were left for me. Ahhhhh, happiness!

Incidentally, if any attendees have comments about this last jam or suggestions for future jams, please post them here or email me. Thanks!

------------------
Bill L | My steel page | Email | My music | Steeler birthdays | Over 50?

Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 1:09 pm    

Bill, Please forgive me for misspelling your name. I'm a terrible speller. Thanks again, Don

Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2002 7:32 pm    

Don, you have no idea how many ways I've seen my last name spelled. People can get pretty creative! Llewelling isn't that far off.