The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Issuse with Peterson StroboPlus HD leg clamp
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2014 2:05 pm    

Maybe it's just me not understanding how the leg clamp works.

Do you really have to unscrew the tuner from the screw on the ball-joint part of the clamp every time you break it down to fit in a pack-a-seat? If so, I urge Peterson to come up with a quick release plate, similar to what nearly all camera tripods use nowadays.

Also, I can't find any way to tighten to snug the ball-joint piece, it spins freely which I don't care for. Is that just the way it's poorly designed?

The little rubber pads on the V-part of the bracket that attaches to your guitar leg, keep falling off, I've already lost one. Peterson, improve your adhesive, please.

My bracket arrived with the clamp attached to the platform such that the ball joint was horizontal to the floor, and had to unscrew 3 little screws that attach the two pieces, rotate one piece 90°, then struggle to re-tighten the screws (it required a right-angle screwdriver), this was very fiddly and should not be shipped that way.

If I'm not clear on how to use this contraption, someone clear me up, thanks.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 5 May 2014 5:30 pm     I feel your pain...

Part of this is from a Strobo-flip mount ... Part, spring loaded mic holder. Milli seconds to attach or de-tach. It fits in a seat nicely.
For a tuner that so much thought seems to have gone into, the mount thing appears to have been after thought.

Alvin Douglas

Prince Edward Island
Post  Posted 6 May 2014 4:26 am    

You are absolutely right about this clamp. While it works, it is not easy to use. Like you I had to remove the 3 screws and rotate the clamp part to make it work. Sounds like I am using a similar approach to removing the tuner from the mounting stud. I have dropped the tuner a couple of times when holding the bracket in one hand and turning the tuner with the other and have learned to leave the bracket on the guitar and use both hands to unthread the tuner. The rubber pads came off very soon after I started using the bracket. Replaced them with some 220 grit sticky back sandpaper I had in the shop. It works but it is marking the leg. I really like the clamp idea. This bracket needs to have a clamp style attachment for the leg and a quick release for the tuner end. Tuner gets a 10 and the clamp gets a 4.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2014 8:44 am    

Alvin, thanks for confirming the issues aren't just my own stupidity. I give the clamp a 1, unbelievably bad design for such a nice tuner. Does the ball joint portion spin freely on yours, too? Blech.

I forgot to also ding it for the too-short USB charging cable. I'm using a Motorola AC-to-USB cable that can actually reach from a plug in my rack to the dang tuner.

I'm going to try carpet tape or hot glue to keep those rubber pads in place.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2014 8:44 am    

Alvin, thanks for confirming the issues aren't just my own stupidity. I give the clamp a 1, unbelievably bad design for such a nice tuner. Does the ball joint portion spin freely on yours, too? Blech.

I forgot to also ding it for the too-short USB charging cable. I'm using a Motorola AC-to-USB cable that can actually reach from a plug in my rack to the dang tuner.

I'm going to try carpet tape or hot glue to keep those rubber pads in place.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2014 9:37 am    

John, you are not stupid or alone on this issue. I could not get mine to work worth a darn on my steel leg. I had to go in my workshop and make a whole new clamp in a larger size. I think the clamp that comes on it is designed for the TOP part of a mic stand for guitar players, who are standing. The top portion of the mic stand is a smaller diameter than the bottom portion that we steeler's use. I think you will find that it works fine for the purpose that it was intended, the TOP tube of the mic stand. As steel players, we are "upside down" and trying to make it work on a diameter tubing that Peterson never intended for it to be used on. They should make a larger bracket for steel players, IMHO.

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 6 May 2014 9:48 am    

I must be missing something here. My leg clamp attaches right to my Sierra square leg with no problems and works just fine. Nothing has come loose or fell off.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2014 4:44 pm    

They are weird but I have not had any problems with it.

Jack Mitchell

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2014 9:55 am    

I agree...great tuner, poor mount design.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2014 12:55 pm    

John, maybe yours was assembled wrong? I went to the Peterson website to look at the clamp and it looks correct to me. Take a look......

https://www.petersontuners.com/images/bank/StroboPlus%20Pitch%20Holder%20with%20Swivel%20Ball.jpg

I have the same base clamp that came with my old StroboFlip, and I use it with my new StroboPlus with no problems. I just ordered the swivel adapter for it (so I can angle it some for easier viewing). Notice it has, what looks to be, a plastic "nut" to snug it up to the tuner. Was yours missing?

Anyway, I see what your saying about removing the tuner from the swivel. Looks awkward to me.

Also, the clamp opens up just fine for attaching it to the steel leg....with room to spare.

Then again, maybe I'm totally misunderstanding what you are saying. If so, please correct me.

Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2014 4:56 pm    

I had similar issues with my leg clamp - awkward to put on and take off and the rubbers pads were falling off (one fell off and got lost). Dick Sexton's post inspired me to do something about it. I went to the hardware store and bought a 1 inch Pony spring clamp. I cut the right angle part of the bracket off, drilled a couple of holes, and attached the clamp to the bracket. It is sturdy and clamps firmly to the leg of my guitar. It cost me $3.00 for the clamp and I had a couple of screws laying around.

Thanks, guys, for showing me that it seems to be a universal problem and that there are solutions with a little bit of creativity.

Karlis

5/8/2014

Pictures added for clarity

Last edited by Karlis Abolins on 8 May 2014 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 May 2014 5:55 pm     Great idea...

Me too Karlis, just out of stuff I had taking up space. Wink

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 May 2014 2:28 am    

Like many items we use, this was not specifically designed for Pedal Steel and we have to improvise.

Most of Peterson's client base are not Pedal Steel Guitar customers.